Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "No Clue Crew"

O/T (kind of) - Man starts Pinnacle Peak brush fire with fireworks

Just read this and i'm shaking my head..............D

A 21-year-old man started a brush fire on the Pinnacle Peak hiking trail after he set off fireworks on Monday, Scottsdale police said Tuesday.

Joseph Viganola of New Jersey told officers that he was hiking the trail with a group of his friends when he decided to light consumer fireworks he had purchased. One of the flaming projectiles started a fire near the trail around the -mile marker about 9:15 a.m., Scottsdale police said.

Viganola poured his water bottle onto the fire to help control it. Other hikers who had heard the fireworks alerted the park stewards, who also helped put out the fire, police said.

Read more:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...orks-abrk.html

Saucy Size Moderator
    I am baffled as hell at all the fireworks for sale everywhere I go. The grocery store, the gas station, EVERYWHERE.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    "Hey, I have a great idea, let's sell fireworks in the desert"

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    I am baffled as hell at all the fireworks for sale everywhere I go. The grocery store, the gas station, EVERYWHERE.
    Me too! I can't believe all the fireworks tents in ever open lot!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Fireworks are great fun. Too bad there's so many stupid people unable to make sound decisions.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Fireworks are great fun. Too bad there's so many stupid people unable to make sound decisions.
    YEP!!!!

mtbr member
    Okay, I have a really dumb question, but is there a safe way to sent off fireworks in AZ? I have to admit, I wasn't paying very close attention when the law was passed to allow the sale of fireworks. But I, personally, thought it was the stoopidiest decision ever made. Does anybody know the logic behind it, and what kind of safety precautions one should take when setting them off here? I don't know the details of the incident in question, but I personally know that I don't have the first idea of do's and don'ts when it comes to fireworks.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    I pass the tent that he bought it at every day. tempted to go light one off in the tent. The law is stupid and a total sellout to business. Most cities don't allow fireworks, but legalizing the sale *wont* lead to them being used? These guys selling them are just as culpable, accessory towards destroying our state. I agree fireworks are fun, and when used responsibly are safe. but unless you are in a grass-filled park, where are you going to find somewhere safe in July in AZ??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    I pass the tent that he bought it at every day. tempted to go light one off in the tent. The law is stupid and a total sellout to business. Most cities don't allow fireworks, but legalizing the sale *wont* lead to them being used? These guys selling them are just as culpable, accessory towards destroying our state. I agree fireworks are fun, and when used responsibly are safe. but unless you are in a grass-filled park, where are you going to find somewhere safe in July in AZ??
    I was shocked to see places like Fry's and CostCo selling fireworks. So, is the law that they can sell them, but it's illegal to use them.

Nonetheless, terrible law, and terrible timing IMO.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Okay, I have a really dumb question, but is there a safe way to sent off fireworks in AZ? I have to admit, I wasn't paying very close attention when the law was passed to allow the sale of fireworks. But I, personally, thought it was the stoopidiest decision ever made. Does anybody know the logic behind it, and what kind of safety precautions one should take when setting them off here? I don't know the details of the incident in question, but I personally know that I don't have the first idea of do's and don'ts when it comes to fireworks.
    Know how the device in question works. Know your surroundings. Match device properties with surroundings. If you don't know one or the other, don't use them. Seems basic to me.

My preference would be to eliminate the stupid people and leave freedom of choice to those responsible enough to use it.

mtbr member
    Know how the device in question works. Know your surroundings. Match device properties with surroundings. If you don't know one or the other, don't use them. Seems basic to me.

My preference would be to eliminate the stupid people and leave freedom of choice to those responsible enough to use it.
    I should have prefaced my statement with an ancedote. About 25 years ago, I spent the fourth in the Florida Keys. On the way down, we picked up some fireworks, including bottle rockets, and those little tanks that fire sparklers. I put two tanks pointed at each other and lit them, so they fired upon each other. Little did I know a packet of bottle rockets was laying right next to them. Next thing I know, the bottle rockets are shooting all over the place, including into a crowd of people on the beach.

That said, I say this with zero sarcasm: I'm one of those stupid people, which is why you won't find me 100 feet from fireworks.

Shovel Ready
    If I don't catch anything on fire! Is the use of fireworks still stupid. Is this similar to the gun is bad but not the user? How can they have such wonderful fireworks shows each year, and not burn down the city?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    How can they have such wonderful fireworks shows each year, and not burn down the city?
    You've obviously never seen the fireworks in Tucson. When I lived there, they caught A Mountain on fire every single year.

mtbr member
    At least when the pros light fireworks like on A mountain they have the fire department on hand to put them out right away.

There is one safe time to light fireworks during a rainstorm.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Shovel Ready
    You've obviously never seen the fireworks in Tucson. When I lived there, they caught A Mountain on fire every single year.
    Let that stink hole burn.

mtbr member
    Let that stink hole burn.
    Just gave you negative rep.

Shovel Ready
    Just gave you negative rep.
    You can't hurt me. I've already been mod slapped.

mtbr member
    You can't hurt me. I've already been mod slapped.
    That's what you get for not following the rules.

Shovel Ready
    That's what you get for not following the rules.
    I thought the deal was you picked which rules you wanted to follow!

mtbr member
    I thought the deal was you picked which rules you wanted to follow!
    Would be nice, but if we let folks decide which rules to follow or break, we'd burn down Pinnacle Peak.

Shovel Ready
    Would be nice, but if we let folks decide which rules to follow or break, we'd burn down Pinnacle Peak.
    But crossing the border illegally is cool. That and smoking dope. I need a list of approved rules to break and one I not allowed to break. So I don't get hand slapped by the Nuns.

PS: You still dabbing on the climb up porcupine?

wawe member
    "They" also caught Hayden Butte (Tempe's "A" Mtn) on fire last month during one of the ASU graduation ceremonies.

"They" manage to not burn down the city because the fire dept. is on hand, there are readily available water sources called fire hydrants and we build cities to be fairly fire resistant these days, seems there were lessons learned since that one dark night old Lady Leary's cow kick over the lantern.

From what I understand, and I have not looked up the law, the only fireworks available are non-launching types. So no bottle rockets, but sparklers, "fountains", small "pop" types are okay. Cities can ban their use, but not their sale, which is pretty dumb.

So you can't use them where it would be appropriate, say letting the kids run around with a sparkler in the yard, but you can use them outside of town, where everything is ready to go up like a roman candle.

pedaller
    But crossing the border illegally is cool. That and smoking dope. I need a list of approved rules to break and one I not allowed to break. So I don't get hand slapped by the Nuns.
    Don't forget speeding when no one is around. There is also ignoring stop signs on your road bike, riding in the cross walks and burning cars after your team loses the Stanley Cup final.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Don't forget speeding when no one is around. There is also ignoring stop signs on your road bike, riding in the cross walks and burning cars after your team loses the Stanley Cup final.
    Told you I needed a list.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    "They" also caught Hayden Butte (Tempe's "A" Mtn) on fire last month during one of the ASU graduation ceremonies.

"They" manage to not burn down the city because the fire dept. is on hand, there are readily available water sources called fire hydrants and we build cities to be fairly fire resistant these days, seems there were lessons learned since that one dark night old Lady Leary's cow kick over the lantern.

From what I understand, and I have not looked up the law, the only fireworks available are non-launching types. So no bottle rockets, but sparklers, "fountains", small "pop" types are okay. Cities can ban their use, but not their sale, which is pretty dumb.

So you can't use them where it would be appropriate, say letting the kids run around with a sparkler in the yard, but you can use them outside of town, where everything is ready to go up like a roman candle.
    this article from the Republic covered it in a little more detail.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...legal-use.html

There are supposed to be labels as to what can be used, and what can't. but wtf sell em if you can't use them? Its just asking for problems, esp. since its illegal to use them, people are going to go out in the desert where no one is around to light them off? stupid stupid stupid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast