Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

NRA Pit on the brink?

I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there for the masses: This morning while padding up in the parking area by the pit I was approached by a Forest Service employee. (I'm going to leave her nameless for now, but I have her name) First, she was really nice. So don't get the wrong idea. This isn't a rant, just news. She said that they had new trails lined up for the area and before they put them in they need to get rid of all the illegal jumps, so spread the word that we're going to get rid of everything out there. She mentioned another FS person who was going to put together a crew to help tear it down. I got the impression that she didn't know the scope of the building out there, and she framed everything in terms of "if you want these other trails built, we're going to have to get rid of those illegal ones." The quote of all quotes was when she said, "I know it's fun, but it's not part of the system."

I'm not sure which little animated face to put here...

Pivotal figure
    This one works for me...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

pedaller
    How about building these "other trails" first before eliminating existing trails/jumps? Somehow I see $$$ for building trails drying up fast as this economy continues to flounder... The cuts will have to come from somewhere and unfortunately trails are not exactly considered necessities...

It would be a big shame to see the NRA pit destroyed LONG BEFORE any additional trails are created/built.

Anyone know anything about a timetable for additional trails? That area could support a nice expansion of the current trail system.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member

They are on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    How about building these "other trails" first before eliminating existing trails/jumps? Somehow I see $$$ for building trails drying up fast as this economy continues to flounder... The cuts will have to come from somewhere and unfortunately trails are not exactly considered necessities...

It would be a big shame to see the NRA pit destroyed LONG BEFORE any additional trails are created/built.

Anyone know anything about a timetable for additional trails? That area could support a nice expansion of the current trail system.
    The uh whaddya call it survey has been done for the lower areas, trails laid out. There was a push to get the NRA area legitimized, but the effort has not been followed up (to my knowledge) and I would guess that the wood is not helping.

CW is the main point of effort out there. I'd like ot be able to help through AGRO and MBAA but I don't have the time without dedicated individuals playing by the rules. It will be a sad day when the dozers come through.

Anyone want to help with a proposal for a local skills area in the city? I need to put together a legit proposal but am moving out of state.

Volunteers and good point people will be need to keep it rolling. I know there are enough interested folks but the land managers need a narrow point of contact, not a big unorganized group. With AGRO and MBAA putting their weight behind these efforts there may be a chance for a legit skills area.

parenting for gnarness
    i rode the other trail today. BFD! its not bad, but more XC stuff like Wild Horse and Big Rock. It gets you about .75 miles up the road, which has an enormous shoulder\bike lane and is an already well-used route.

Can a petition or something get going? tearing down something unique that lots of people enjoy for a redundant connector what defines a system trail other than the whim of the land manager? seems like taxpayers opinions should count for something.

dirt visionary
    We could start a petition I suppose as I know we could get 200+ sigs easy ......Funny thing is they say so they can make a connector that is already done???? I think its a way for the same group that worked on the connector to get our single track for xc use only .

Also if we leave the area Shooters will take it back over no doubt.

dirt visionary
    Hey!!! I got 2 ideas One we keep the parking lot full giving them no room to get through ......AND we play jump huggers.......If the tree hugger can do it we should be able to do the same

Shred...it's the new drug
    Should we chain ourselves to the jumps/burms in hippie fashion? The wasted hours in tearing down the place could be put towards something positive like building sweet singletrack, not death and destruction of thousands of hours of dedication. Whats our next step? We need not stand in the wayside to let this happen, we need to fight for our right to shred!

dirt visionary
    I will make a call Monday to Debbie Becker and express the cummunities concern .......I will also let her know we have at least 100 riders that will go to bat for the area.....Plus I will also let them know what kind of traffic that will be missed if things do get torn down .....NRA has brought 100 times more traffic out using the land for recreation. Which is far better than the land being used by shooters every weekend all day.

dirt visionary
    we could also flood the FS office off Higley with our plea calls

Shred...it's the new drug
    I got my chains and tie died shirt ready...

Seriously, clock, can you express the fact that we the pit riders have taken care of the area, cleaned up most of the trash, kept out shooters, partiers, all around riff raff and created a positive area for advancing skills and healthy recreation. Also it has drawn riders from other trails (somo, hawes, etc.) on the weekends to clear those up for hikers and other recreationalists.

dirt visionary
    Yup and I will also express the fact that if the pit is torn down that 5-10 other places will see the same thing happen . I can almost guarentee that people will start building in any area they can to get their fix.... mcdowells, estrella mountains and cave creek not to mention our new location nearby .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    I will make a call Monday to Debbie Becker and express the cummunities concern .......I will also let her know we have at least 100 riders that will go to bat for the area.....Plus I will also let them know what kind of traffic that will be missed if things do get torn down .....NRA has brought 100 times more traffic out using the land for recreation. Which is far better than the land being used by shooters every weekend all day.
    FYI that's who I talked to.

dirt visionary
    Thats why I threw her name out . I knew right away by your description it was her.. She is/was on our side but has to do what the person above her says. She's a cool lady.

Pivotal figure
    Bummer... Nothing more to say.

just 1 more
    What's the history of the NRA pit? It sounds like it was a shooting area that that somehow turned into a gravity playground..and if the jumps get torn down the shooting will start back up? Neither use officially approved from the sounds of it. Where did the shooters go?

Not trying to stir sh1t, the NRA thread is amazing , but since I like to ride and like to shoot this is interesting. Hope it works out for all involved.
    something's missing..

Pivotal figure
    The pit is the old shooting range which has now moved South approx 3 miles. There is a legal range for anyone who feels the need to get in some target practice, but it's not free. So, you know the rest of that story...

Pivotal figure

The future?

I never thought I'd be sneaking around doing "illegal" activities at the ripe old age of 41 (!?) but it looks like that's exactly how it's going to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    NRA has brought 100 times more traffic out using the land for recreation. Which is far better than the land being used by shooters every weekend all day.
    For those of you that live in the area, are locals aware of their options? Would locals rather have recreational shooters out there near their hiking area or mountain bikers? Awareness with locals calling in could do more good for your cause. Perhaps some leaflets on cars with a handy dandy phone number or email.

I'm not a gravity fan, but I dislike recreational shooters and the crap they leave behind. A gun in the hand of a stupid person is an accident waiting to happen.

Is another trail heading south of the pit for less than a mile worth the cost of leveling the pit or even a necessity? The road is 100 feet away!!!

wretch
    Well I'll do whatever I can to help. . . which isnt a lot, but in terms of professional services if we need to put together any sort of written entity or presence, or anything to represent US as a whole on paper I am your whore (but a free one). Sounds like a challenge in which the AZ riders need to step up and represent themselves in the most respectable manner possible.

I know its easier said than done but what if we offer to help build?

Seems like the FS or party at hand needs to be educated about the situation, if we do what we can to enlighten them on the treasure that is NRA perhaps there will be more leniency towards their future plans for the area?

. . . IMO (which is next to worthless)

dirt visionary
    There was no one riding out there before we started digging . It had been dead for what 8 months or so with no traffic and there was only a handful of jumps and a 20 second line . Why becuase the FS tore down what was there......I would rather have our hard work torn down knowing TONS of people have had a blast, progressed , learned to jump and even gotten into DH/FR simply because of the pit . And I deffnately would not give up the FRIENDSHIPS and the people I have met out at the pit due to it becoming popular.

Instead of all the hard work and only a small handful of people knowing about it like it was when the oldschoolers kept it to themselves . .....The pit has had its jumps/ladders ect torn down 4 times now it just part of a cycle.

Anyways i have put in more time than anyone into the pit and I am not worried about the whole deal ...If they tear it down then thats what happens. Its not like freeriding in AZ is going to end Yeah it sucks but I am sure some things would get rebuilt just like any other time they have come out to plow things. The key this time is the quanity with almost 100 features....They got their work cut out for them especially since we love to use lots of rock and big rocks

I am greatful that it has lasted over a year now considering they knew about our first work before anyone on MTBR or FRW did as we hadn't let you folks in on our secret at the time.

mtbr member
    I'm with Clock. I found the pit by scouring Google earth for a gravel pit somewhere on Usury pass, than driving up and down that road and checking every pull-off because no one would give me directions. I was new to the area and I understood why no one trusted me.

You can't keep a good thing down, and keeping it illegal and secret is the wrong approach, IMO. There is no reason why the valley shouldn't have a legit freeride skills area.

Downhill Messiah
    i don't think the fs realizes the repercussions that will trickle down if one of the best freeride spots in az gets destroyed. So many illegal trails will sprout up out of peoples sheer desperation to get their freeride fix. Just tell me what I can do to help your cause clock! It sounds like we fr\dh riders need to take the initiative to save the pit.
    Madspeed always prevails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Who is in charge of the trail expansion planning for the area and when is their next meeting? We all need to be their and have a designated proffessional spokesperson to express our concerns and our input for the area. It is all of us who ride and should have a say in what their plans are for the future and to be a part of it. We can help to build the new trails and fight to keep all or most of what has been already built there. The cities build skate parks and bike parks in the city, why can't we have some fun out in the desert?

mtbr member
    The good thing is we have more builders. If they destroy it, it will just make me want to build more. It's too good to die.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast