Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notable Quotes

banned
    Jun 2011

Notable Quotes

I don't know about you, but when I ride I have a million thoughts running through my head.

Do you ever find yourself in the midst of a crazy climb, or a dizzying downhill when we are alone with ourselves and our thoughts and some notable quote comes in your thoughts that fit the moment?

There is one that always comes to mind when I am on a ride and dragging...

Tinker Juarez ~ "Always finish the ride." My all time favorite.

What keep you going?

Quote 'em if you got 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    My favorite.
    training is like fighting a gorilla. you dont stop when you are tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired."

banned
    Jun 2011
    here you go...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Notable Quotes-tumblr_ln9l4nppxv1qbsk6co1_1280.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunion View Post
    My favorite.
    training is like fighting a gorilla. you dont stop when you are tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired."
    I'm not sure that quote makes sense for mountain biking.
    It makes sense for fighting because you have an opponent and he had better be the one who gets tired first but for mountain biking ?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    yes,, in MTB, if you wait till you are tired out here,, you're likely not going to make it back to the trailhead

is that guys real name tinker? did his parents own a majority stock in Hasbro or soemthing?
    i guess potatohead would have been worse...

Give it a crank
    I apply my favorite quote every day from Clint Eastwood in one of his movies:

"a man must know his limits"

Keeps me within my bounds most of the time.

How much further ???
    Im not so sure that quotes pop in my head while Im riding but I can tell you what does. Since I have a 23 month old at home, there are times out on the trail that those nick jr show songs pop in my head. I will be tearing down the switchbacks at Hawes or something and then all of a sudden. Bub Bub Bubble, Guppie Guppie Guppies ..... Bub Bub Bubble, Guppie Guppie Guppies ..... "clap" "clap" BUBBLE GUPPIES !!!!!!

Those song writters are evil!!! Pure evil!!!

Its crazy how things change. A year or so ago in the same situation Id probably start humming a Godsmack song or something.
    Last edited by Douger-1; 07-13-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

parenting for gnarness
    'look at the exit of the turn' - Fish

'there is no spoon' - The Matrix

'Make up your mind dude, is he gonna $**t or is he gonna kill us?'
    'First he's gonna $**t, then he's gonna kill us' - Fast Times at Ridgemont High

RHRF!
    "Singletrack should never be straight..." - Unknown
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    My tag below directly from Josh Bender when I told him I had busted ribs but really wanted to race at Bootleg at All Mountain Cyclery in Boulder City.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMntBkr1 View Post
    What keep you going?
    Hhmmm, did I remember to put the beer in the fridge?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    is that guys real name tinker?
    Tinker is a nick name, first name is David.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    how much head could a hedgehog give if a hedgehog could give head... (take that woodchuck)

mtbr member
    "squeal louder" Deliverence

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Im not so sure that quotes pop in my head while Im riding but I can tell you what does. Since I have a 23 month old at home, there are times out on the trail that those nick jr show songs pop in my head. I will be tearing down the switchbacks at Hawes or something and then all of a sudden. Bub Bub Bubble, Guppie Guppie Guppies ..... Bub Bub Bubble, Guppie Guppie Guppies ..... "clap" "clap" BUBBLE GUPPIES !!!!!!

Its crazy how things change. A year or so ago in the same situation Id probably start humming a Godsmack song or something.

Maybe this will give you an alternative to that song, and a motivating one at that!

It's a slugfest!
    "These...are my recreational clothes..." - Nacho Libre
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    especially on a climb..."Put one foot in front of the other & soon you'll be walkin' cross the floor, put one foot in front of the other..."

Do not youtube this or you will not be able to get it out of your head....as Douger says, those songwriters are EVIL.

Need more cowbell
    Go that way....really fast....if something gets in your way.....turn.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i never saw that movie,, but it looks like what south park was spoofing in the Aspen episode...

mtbr member
    i never saw that movie,, but it looks like what south park was spoofing in the Aspen episode...
    You've never seen One Crazy Summer? Do you feel that hole in your heart?

(And yes, I know the movie is Better Off Dead. I dare anybody to explain to me how they differ plot wise.)

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i saw one crazy summer a bazillion times, just not better off dead.
    OCS was made by the same cartoonist who went on to make EEK the Cat in the early 90s.. best cartoon ever!!

mtbr member
    i saw one crazy summer a bazillion times, just not better off dead.
    OCS was made by the same cartoonist who went on to make EEK the Cat in the early 90s.. best cartoon ever!!
    You didn't answer my second question? And come on, better than Space Ghost?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    From Mike and the Bike-When Mike sees a hill, he remembers this rhyme: I think it is time, it is time to climb!

It helps that my name is Mike and my kids like books. So I read it often.

banned
    Jun 2011
    It was...

mtbr member

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    "This is your life" - Tyler Durden. I say this when the pain gets on, so I might as well keep on, keeping on. There is no way out. Stopping is not an option. It sucks, and you've got to give up the notion that it gets better. Pain is forever on this mountain, but you are not the pain. You are just legs moving. And this is your life.....Then I'm at the top.

" width="549">
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    "This is your life" - Tyler Durden. I say this when the pain gets on, so I might as well keep on, keeping on. There is no way out. Stopping is not an option. It sucks, and you've got to give up the notion that it gets better. Pain is forever on this mountain, but you are not the pain. You are just legs moving. And this is your life.....Then I'm at the top.

" width="549">
    + 1

lifer
    Jan 2009
    yea I tell my kids all the time..."if it was easy everyone would do it" hell I tell myself the same thing right about the time I'm thinking " why the F*** am I doing this?" keep going! Ride On VikeAz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post

My youngest is 2.5 and I know EVERY SINGLE FAWKING Fresh Beat Band song and when I am really loopy on the the trail start calling things in my mind by Wow Wow Wubbzy names. Yes they are evil. At least Yo Gabba Gabba has som cool stuff...Okay- I have to get back to playing blocks or trains or something.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

banned
    #10) Education is the sleeping pill that makes dreams possible. -Peggy Hill; King Of The Hill

#9) I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. - Orson Welles 1956

#8) If A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein

#7) In The United States, the difficulties are not a minotaur or a dragon, not imprisonment, hard labor, death, government harrassment or censorship. The problems are cupidity (inordinate desire for wealth), boredom, sloppiness & indifference. - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

#6) My friends, you know me to be neither rash nor impulsive. I'm not given to wild unsupported statements,...and I tell you that we must evacuate this planet immediately. - Jorell, Superman I

#5) Respect the land, defend the defenseless and don't ya never spit in front of women and children. - The Code Of The West

#4) The Reasonable man accommodates himself to the ways of the world. The Unreasonable man attempts to get the world to accommodate itself to his ways. Progress depends on unreasonable men. - George Bernhard Shaw

#3) You just listen to the old porkchop express here now and take his advice on a dark and stormy night when the lightnings crashing and the thunders rolling and the rains coming down in sheets thick as lead. Just remember what old Jack Burton does when the earth quakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake. Yea, Jack Burton just looks that big 'ol storm right square in the eye and he says; give me your best shot pal, I can take it. - Big Trouble In Little China

#2) To choose one's enemy; To prepare every detail of the blow; To slake an implaccable vengeance and then go to bed; There is nothing sweeter in the world. - Joseph Stalin

#1) ...Woe is us! We're in a lot of trouble! Because you people, and sixty-two million other Americans, are listening to me right now. Because less than three percent of you people read books! Because less than fifteen percent of you read newspapers! Because the only truth you know is what you get over this tube. Right now, there is a whole, an entire generation that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube! This tube is the Gospel, the ultimate revelation. This tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers... This tube is the most awesome God-damned force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls in to the hands of the wrong people, ...And when the twelfth largest company in the world controls the most awesome God-damned propoganda force in the whole godless world, who knows what **** will be peddled for truth on this network?
    So, you listen to me. Listen to me: Television is not the truth! Television is a God-damned amusement park! Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth... Go to God! Go to your gurus! Go to yourselves! Because that's the only place you're ever going to find any real truth.
    But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell. We'll tell you that, uh, Kojak always gets the killer, or that nobody ever gets cancer at Archie Bunker's house, and no matter how much trouble the hero is in, don't worry, just look at your watch; at the end of the hour he's going to win. We'll tell you any **** you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here. You're beginning to think that the tube is reality, and that your own lives are unreal. You do whatever the tube tells you! You dress like the tube, you eat like the tube, you raise your children like the tube, you even *think* like the tube! This is mass madness, you maniacs! In God's name, you people are the real thing! *WE* are the illusion! So turn off your television sets. Turn them off now. Turn them off right now. Turn them off and leave them off! Turn them off right in the middle of the sentence I'm speaking to you now! TURN THEM OFF...

- Howard Beale, Network (1976)

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    ^^^ So....which quotes are for the uphill grind and the downhill gnar? Or are we just blowin' this thing wide open?
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    When it gets tough or technical, or i'm headed downhill, I tell myself; OWN THE MOUNTAIN!! That always seems to do it..
    and the classic favorite- You don't quit riding because you get old.... you get old because you quit riding!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Dirt Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by LJYJ View Post

+ 1

You are the all singing all dancing crap of the world!
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Dirt Merchant
    Hey LAMA. How bout something, you know... for the effort?

Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Black and Sticky

Motivational Quotes

A lot of my inspirational mantras come from old days running cross country about a century ago. So I tend to use those when I'm climbing or otherwise suffering a little. One of my favorites is by Kendall, below. Just about anything by Pre gets me going and Emil Zatopek had some good ones. Here's some examples, even one from a cycling movie which I'm sure you will recognize.

Bob

A lot of people run a race to see who’s the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts.
    Steve Prefontaine

Someone may beat me, but they will have to bleed to do it.
    More Pre

Cross Country — Finally a practical use for golf courses. (not motivational but funny for us XC dorks)
    Author Unknown

Some people don’t have the guts for distance racing. The polite term for them is sprinters. (swap "climbing" for "distance racing" and you got a pretty good cycling mantra)
    Author Unknown

Enough with this Sunday stroll, let's hurt a little bit.
    Muzzin in American Flyers

Hills are speed work in disguise.
    Frank Shorter

Men, today we die a little. (Probably my all time favorite.)
    Emil Zatopek to his competitors at beginning of 1956 Olympic Marathon

...they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary...
    Isiah 40:31
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Another one I like; Make Friends with Pain! And then one for the climb; THINK of how STRONG this is making Me!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

banned
    Jun 2011
    one of my favorites, "The guy in front is hurting just a much if not more than you are!"

oh Lucky me
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    My youngest is 2.5 and I know EVERY SINGLE FAWKING Fresh Beat Band song and when I am really loopy on the the trail start calling things in my mind by Wow Wow Wubbzy names. Yes they are evil. At least Yo Gabba Gabba has som cool stuff...Okay- I have to get back to playing blocks or trains or something.
    youngest is 2.5mos and oldest is almost 3.....i can relate to this and what douger-1 said...

instead of NCIS or 1000 ways to die, we get bubble guppies and sponge bob....
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    If I can make it to the top of the hill in 20 minutes today I'll only be 18 minutes slower than tamen00.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

Bandolero
    The price of that Carne Adovada burrito was too good to be true
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

bland
    "hey fat-ass" - My childhood.

mtbr member

personal and favorite

My own quote/personal thought that takes over when I'm riding weak or in poor form (I taught myself this desert racing dirtbikes):

"You know how to ride this thing, you know what it will do, get it together and ride..Don't back off, just turn, it will do it, just ride it, it will do it, relax..repeat"

This goes through my head until I either get over my lack of confidence, crash, or just run out of steam...it works best on DH and tech sections for the mtn bike when I'm not "feeling it" When I relax my white knuckle death grip, get focused, and look ahead. I ride so much better, smooth and at a good pace.

Favorite quote ever:

"Yes, my dear I am drunk , however, you are ugly, and tomorrow I will be sober"

Winston Churchill.
    Check my pulse...

Alive and Lurkin'

Outlaw Josie Wales

Unkown Bounty Hunter to Josie: "A man's gotta make a livin' somehow."

Josie's reply to Unknown Bounty Hunter: "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy."

Squint with Clint!!!

Last edited by Jibro; 07-15-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: add video
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    'Make up your mind dude, is he gonna $**t or is he gonna kill us?'
    'First he's gonna $**t, then he's gonna kill us' - Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    One of my favorite movies. That whole scene is great.

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it"

Eroding into the trail
    He who shall rise to the challenge of flight, shall fall in the face of gravity!
    - RedBull
    (My favorite)
    ------------
    "To torture a man you have to know his pleasures."
    Stanislaw Jersey Lec
    ------------
    Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit =
    Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues (sic) both intelligence and skill.
    (Cicero)

banned
    Jun 2011
    Pain is temporary.
    Chicks dig scars.
    Glory is forever!

banned
    Jun 2011
    "Son of a Biotch is dug in like an Alabama tick!"
    "You're hit,You're bleedin."
    I ain't got time to bleed."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

A few from Mom

My Mom went to heaven after 86 years on March 25th. While we celebrated her life my family had a blast remembering all of her sayings... I'm pretty sure none were original but I definitely here them when I'm on the trail...

"if it's easy it's probably not worth doing"

"Can't never did anything"

and her motto for the last few tough months

"you do what you gotta do when you gotta do it"

I think my wife turned me on to the next one. Following it is what made me try mountain biking in the first place and in over 20 + years of Mountain Biking following it has led to a lot of walking, dehydration, a few crashes and a enough magic to keep me going back.

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference".... Frost

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Okay, two quotes, both from Sh*t my dad says.... somewhat contradicting of each other, but both can apply to MTBing:

Appropriate to racing, especially for those of us that tend to be middle of the pack riders:
    "You don't have to be good to succeed. You just have to be the least sh*tty option. Example: We're eating at the Olive Garden."

For technical sections when you are on a group ride stuck behind the 'I click out for EVERYTHING guy...And yeah, I'd never actually say this cause it's kind of mean and biker-elitist and that's the last thing we need more of in MTBing, but sometimes you feel like...
    "Put the rake down. I don't wanna sit around watching you 'give it your best.' Either stop sucking or get the f*** out of the way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast