mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Northern Glendale/Peoruia trails, tire rec, and a critter question

SO I am relatively new to the site (I lurk mainly). I have been spending lots of time on my Kona 5.0 Delux 26r (despite the heat) mostly riding up around a rhomboid roughly formed by Lake pleasant parkway to 67th east west and Beardsly/101 to Happy Valley. I spend lots of time peddling on roads and bike paths in search of decent two tracks, jumps etc. out of the suburban sprawl (mostly north of Happy Valley (westwing parkway??) and or under the powerlines running paralell to Happy Valley. Yep I am that fat guy if you have seen me!

I wondered if there are any good trails in northern Peoria or Glendale that are not too far. Anything near Lake Pleasant?

I also would like a rear tire reccomendation. I usually ride on sandy rocky trails and also in the big concreete washes near my house or the half pipe like drainages near by (unless you are the cops in which case I dont do this). I also like Jeeping and have ridden in Moab a couple times. I was thinking of looking for a wide tire with several smaller nobbies like a Kenda Small Block...if they make it in a 2.35?

Currently I am running the stock Maxxis Minion tires 26x2.35 with the thick walled goop filled tubes on the stock wheels (Sun EQ 3.1SL) to deal with the sharp pokies of the region.

I have been contemplating a ghetto tubeless setup with the 10-mil pipe tape etc. but I dont think its worth the investment to try with my rear tire which is looking pretty tired... Maybe with the new tire? I like the idea of less puncture flats, and or running lower air pressure without the pinchflats etc., but the tubeless maintinance seems to be a drawback (adding snott every month or so)

Thoughts? Commentary? Concerns?

Also I have a innate fear of rattling snakes (I blame our hideous monky like ancestors). I tend to act like a 6-8 year old school girl when I see one, or like a hunted monkey... Scream and run without much logic!

Whats the proper protocol for dealing with a dispeptic large AZ rattler in the trail when you (or I) are moving at speed. Bunny hop? Off-trail avoidance manuver? Aim for the head, tail or middle? Just wondering what your experiences have been with these denziens of the desert. I am happy to avoid them if at all possible, and truly mean them no harm, but I am also interested in self preservation as a last resort.

Thanks, and sorry if this is the typical Noobi post. please feel free to delete it if it is redundant....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowslowTJ View Post
    Also I have a innate fear of rattling snakes (I blame our hideous monky like ancestors). I tend to act like a 6-8 year old school girl when I see one, or like a hunted monkey... Scream and run without much logic!

Whats the proper protocol for dealing with a dispeptic large AZ rattler in the trail when you (or I) are moving at speed. Bunny hop? Off-trail avoidance manuver? Aim for the head, tail or middle? Just wondering what your experiences have been with these denziens of the desert. I am happy to avoid them if at all possible, and truly mean them no harm, but I am also interested in self preservation as a last resort.
    I won't comment on your first two questions, as there are many who are much more in the know than me when it comes to both subjects.

Regarding snakes, proper protocol is to stop and observe, and take pics if you have a camera. If a snake is on the trail, it's because it's trying to get from one side to the other. Rarely will you find a snake right on the trail. If you have time, stop and let him cross. If he coils, that means you'll want to stay striking distance away. Back up, and eventually he'll realize you're not going to hurt it, and will continue on it's journey.

That said, a little garlic and butter are all you really need.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am happy to avoid them if at all possible.

I just wondered if experienced AZ MTBRs can share tales of on trail, at speed, worst case scenarios.

As said if I see a snake I scream and run. OK, I do generally go back have a look, beat my chest, toss some poop yell "Whhooo whaaa whaa" a couple times and then continue on my way without damaging any living beings.

mtbr member
    I am happy to avoid them if at all possible.

I just wondered if experienced AZ MTBRs can share tales of on trail, at speed, worst case scenarios.

As said if I see a snake I scream and run. OK, I do generally go back have a look, beat my chest, toss some poop yell "Whhooo whaaa whaa" a couple times and then continue on my way without damaging any living beings.
    Okay, I'll share my personal experience. I've encoutered rattlers many, many times on the trail. I, unfortunately, did run over one once, as I never saw it until it was too late .

The one story I like to share is the time I actually sat on one. Was doing a night ride and got a flat. I sat on a rock to change the flat--it was night mind you, so I didn't look under the rock. About two mins later, a guy comes riding up with a Jack Russel in tow. The dog starts to sniff under the rock I'm sitting on, at at that moment, the rattler decided to tell me he was there.

Not going to suggest that they are not dangerous, and you won't get struck. But just a personal account.

P.S. I'm deathy afraid of snakes too!!!!!!! (But I won't go as far as to say I scream like a little girl. That would be sexist.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

"No Clue Crew"
    Lot's of snake tales here- Snake Encounters

I was out looking for Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes (very nasty and very aggressive) when I accidentally stepped on one's head as it was crawling through the grass. It didn't hurt the snake because the grass just kind of pinned it down but it was the equivalent to stepping on a land mine and hearing a "click" and you have to figure out how to step off and get out of the shrapnel spray that is surely going to be right behind you !

I also have a picture somewhere of a gila monster trying to crawl up my leg.

drink coffee, ride.
    lowslow -
    There are two places that fit that rhomboid, and mainly since they border it. That is the WestWing/Sunrise Mtn trails, the city of Peoria.
    http://www.peoriaaz.gov/content2.aspx?id=963
    and Thunderbird Park, City of Glendale.

Deem Hills has some pretty decent riding, there is/was a Tuesday night ride going on for some time, don't know if they still do that, others may comment..

T-bird, super crowded with hikers wearing headphones, tends to make me grumpy and rude, so I avoid it so as not to give bikers a bad name.

snakes? eek, I know they can at least strike 10 feet, and will chase you down, if not on the trail when you see them, then later in your dreams, just like Elektra

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    snakes? eek, I know they can at least strike 10 feet, and will chase you down, if not on the trail when you see them, then later in your dreams, just like Elektra
    AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

thanks, I have ridden right by T-bird park, but it looked too hikey/horsey...I did not give it a fair shake. as for sunrise. I will make my way up there more... I know a fairly cool route on the way!

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    I won't comment on your first two questions, as there are many who are much more in the know than me when it comes to both subjects.

Regarding snakes, proper protocol is to stop and observe, and take pics if you have a camera. If a snake is on the trail, it's because it's trying to get from one side to the other. Rarely will you find a snake right on the trail. If you have time, stop and let him cross. If he coils, that means you'll want to stay striking distance away. Back up, and eventually he'll realize you're not going to hurt it, and will continue on it's journey.

That said, a little garlic and butter are all you really need.
    That's for Escargot not snattlerakes!

mtbr member

I wondered if there are any good trails in northern Peoria or Glendale that are not too far. Anything near Lake Pleasant?

There aren't mtb trails by Lake Pleasant, mostly Jeep and kwad trails. There is some singletrack, but not fun to pedal as they are moto trails (steep, loose, sandy and overgrown with sharp scratchy plants, lots of snakes).
    Check out Deem Hills (north of Happy Valley Rd. & 35th ave. behind the high school) has some trails as well as the area on the north side of the CAP canal. It used to be a big OHV area but was closed to motor vehicles when the 303 went in. You can still hike and bike there.