mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Northeast and East of vegas? 1/2 day drive?

Hey my west coast peeps. PA calling.

Im coming out and planning to tag 3-4 days after my vegas work trip to ride. XC style. Not downhill. I've ridden sedona pretty extensivly and moab in the past.

Where should we go within a 1/2 days? (4-5 hours?) drive northeast or east of vegas?What about TAHOE from vegas? Ill have a rental car and will bring a bike. I'm lovin my rigid 29 ss but if i need gears and some suspension thats ok too...ill bring my geared friend. Is it ss friendly out there??? A nieave question and depending on the balls ones got for climbing i guess one could say anything is ss friendly if you're up for it.

If there's a thread on this already please send me the url.

Much appreciated.

AKA shitbird
    Although Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City (30 miles from Vegas) is a premier DH location it is supposed to have some killer XC stuff too, or so I hear.

Check it out http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/
    JRA

igoslo
    Gooseberry Mesa is only a couple of hours away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

i looked at bootleg and it may be too flippin hot in june?

100deg sounds like parched to me...even with the low humidity.

so i suppose the idea is to drive a few hours...less that 6-7...and get me to a more temperate spot...or is that simply not possible from vegas? Being a NEasterner with a distorted sense of distances out west i dont really know....

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa

so i suppose the idea is to drive a few hours...less that 6-7...and get me to a more temperate spot...or is that simply not possible from vegas? Being a NEasterner with a distorted sense of distances out west i dont really know....

Flagstaff, AZ is where you need to ride, temps should be perfect in June.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa

Oh! Didn't realize that you were talking June. Yeah, bootleg (or anything near Vegas) will be hell at that time. Umbrous mentioned Flagstaff...Nice temps and awesome riding. Can't go wrong with Tahoe either.
    JRA

Over the Hill
    Can't get enough of it, Thunder Mountain, near Bryce Canyon, then maybe some Brianhead or North Rim Grand Canyon. High altitude, will be cool...great stuff.

Dean