Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

North Rim Grand Canyon open?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  rockman 
#1 ·
I often ride the North Rim of the Grand Canon around Memorial Day. Anybody know if the trails, AZT and/or Rainbow Rim, are open? About got hypothermia on AZT last year and it would be nice to try it again.

#20 ·
It was the section south of the 610 that was the worst. From the short section I rode I would probably go ahead with the ride. It was about the same amount of trees as there were on the section of AZT starting at aspen corner going down at the beginning of this season. I didn't ride any north of the 610.

Five of the trees were small enough that I could muscle them off trail. Another took me and a friendly hiker.

With the winds this week I wouldn't be surprised if a few more came down today.

#21 ·
A quick update from the Kaibab ride this past weekend: Only 1 downed tree that required a dismount from the Kaibab TH inside the park all the way north to the last steep drainage some 40 miles to the north. That last drainage had about 5 downed trees all within 200 yards of one another, so virtually the entire AZT from the rim to 89A was free & clear. The burn area was rippin' fast and easy to follow as well. We were all a bit surprised at the number of fresh cut timbers that only a week prior must have been lying across the trail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.