mtbr dismember

North Rim Grand Canyon open?

I often ride the North Rim of the Grand Canon around Memorial Day. Anybody know if the trails, AZT and/or Rainbow Rim, are open? About got hypothermia on AZT last year and it would be nice to try it again.

mtbr member
    yes
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

mtbr dismember

Thanks!

Thanks!

pedaller
    If you'd like a couple riding buddies, you could do this...

Kaibab 130 and 200 | Arizona Endurance Series

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr dismember

Riding in the park?

I have heard talk that you can ride into the NP near the end of the AZT, beyond this sign. Anybody know about that and if so where can I find an official statement of such?

North Rim Grand Canyon open?-img_2683-l.jpg

My other ride is your mom
    There is no issue with riding the AZT through the park as long as its above rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    There is no issue with riding the AZT through the park as long as its above rim.
    Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong but the singletrack doesn't last for long though and most of it is linked up dirt roads. I've only ridden it from the park boundary north to 89. There might be quite a bit of deadfalll on it this early as well.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

My other ride is your mom
    Nope...you're correct...there is a burn area to the north that makes following the trail very difficult in that section.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Arizona Department of Transportation will open Highway 67 to the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park on Wednesday, May 15 by 8:00 am; and Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim, a Forever Resorts property, and Grand Canyon Trail Rides will commence their 2013 seasonal operations.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    There might be quite a bit of deadfalll on it this early as well.
    I was up there yesterday and yep, deadfall abounds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I was up there yesterday and yep, deadfall abounds.
    Would you be so kind as to elaborate on which trails you were riding up there where you spotted the deadfall?

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    Would you be so kind as to elaborate on which trails you were riding up there where you spotted the deadfall?
    Sure! I was up there a day for work and took the bike. I rode the AZT from outside of the park boundary where fs22 meets the 67 to the boundary and back. lots of deadfall but that section of trail is pretty thick with trees. I don't know the condition of rainbow rim.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks for the update m77.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Sure! I was up there a day for work and took the bike. I rode the AZT from outside of the park boundary where fs22 meets the 67 to the boundary and back. lots of deadfall but that section of trail is pretty thick with trees. I don't know the condition of rainbow rim.
    Thanks for the info dude. I guess my modified Kaibab Monstercross 200 route is going to involve some substantial bike handing over downed trees on the AZT. I may revert back to the original route and ride Burma Rd (FS 220) instead of the AZT and pick up the AZT again at FS 213. Or is it not that bad?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    Thanks for the info dude. I guess my modified Kaibab Monstercross 200 route is going to involve some substantial bike handing over downed trees on the AZT. I may revert back to the original route and ride Burma Rd (FS 220) instead of the AZT and pick up the AZT again at FS 213. Or is it not that bad?
    Mark, I think you should ride it. Perhaps you could build log ramps over the downed trees so when I get the rundown from you Sat night I'll have clean sailing on Sunday!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Mark, I think you should ride it. Perhaps you could build log ramps over the downed trees so when I get the rundown from you Sat night I'll have clean sailing on Sunday!!
    I may just bikepack the route with a chainsaw instead of warm clothing, food, water, and sleeping gear. I'll pretend I'm Paul Bunyan and my rig will be my trusty ox, better known as Babe.

mtbr member
    I don't know if it helps you guys but my recollection from running bike tours on the Kaibab section of the AZ trail was most of the early season downed trees were between FS610 and 611. The sections to the north go through extensive meadows like Tater Canyon and areas that have been logged in the past.

Ahhh the pain....
    Knowing Marks bike handling skills, I would imagine he will try to ride over EVERY downed tree. And since the dude rocks a flannel shirt, his Paul Bunyan impersonation will be spot on I'm sure.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I don't know if it helps you guys but my recollection from running bike tours on the Kaibab section of the AZ trail was most of the early season downed trees were between FS610 and 611. The sections to the north go through extensive meadows like Tater Canyon and areas that have been logged in the past.
    It was the section south of the 610 that was the worst. From the short section I rode I would probably go ahead with the ride. It was about the same amount of trees as there were on the section of AZT starting at aspen corner going down at the beginning of this season. I didn't ride any north of the 610.

Five of the trees were small enough that I could muscle them off trail. Another took me and a friendly hiker.

With the winds this week I wouldn't be surprised if a few more came down today.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    A quick update from the Kaibab ride this past weekend: Only 1 downed tree that required a dismount from the Kaibab TH inside the park all the way north to the last steep drainage some 40 miles to the north. That last drainage had about 5 downed trees all within 200 yards of one another, so virtually the entire AZT from the rim to 89A was free & clear. The burn area was rippin' fast and easy to follow as well. We were all a bit surprised at the number of fresh cut timbers that only a week prior must have been lying across the trail.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How are the road conditions? Especially heading out to the Rainbow Rim area. I'm thinking about a trip that way this weekend and debating the transport method; fuel-sipping sedan or fun/big truck.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RPS1030 View Post
    How are the road conditions? Especially heading out to the Rainbow Rim area. I'm thinking about a trip that way this weekend and debating the transport method; fuel-sipping sedan or fun/big truck.

Ryan
    My 2cents are for the truck with beefy tires. The roads on the Kaibab, even those that are maintained, wreak havoc on tires.