Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

North Phoenix Riding?

Hey everybody! I live up in North Phoenix (Cave Creek and Greenway area), Just wondering if anyone rides around here? I usually ride PMP, but I ride around Shadow Mountain a lot too, since thats literally 3 blocks away.
    I have also noticed a small trail system near 12th St. and Beardsley, but I've only seen it from the 101, never ridden it. Looks like it could have some fun sections.

Anyway, thanks for the site, I've been lurking around here for a few months.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's been a couple of years since I've been hiking in the Shadow Mountain area. Are those trails rideable (I remember some "trails" being steep and rocky, but there seemed to be some better trails on the east side)?

You might want to take a look at the Deem Hills area. Some new trails just went up there. Not the closest, but still in the area (near Happy Valley just west of I-17).

Also, I've read about some rides out to explore the Cave Buttes area. Probably doesn't have maintained trails, but some (like myself) like to do a little exploring.

mtbr member
    Yeah, some of the trails on Shadow Mountain are steep, but theres also some pretty fast sections as well. theres a handful of climbs I can't make yet, but I try every time I get out there. I can only think of 2 thats totally unrideable. The good thing is I've pretty much always got the place to myself!

"No Clue Crew"
    I'm up here in North Phx, 7th st. & Thunderbird. I ride PMP when I can, but never been over to Shadow Mountain. Might have to check it out..........Drew

mtbr member
    Some ride Lookout Mountain, although it's pretty rocky in places, and fairly short.

You can access the main PMP system (Trail 100 etc.) from your area fairly easily. One trail goes in just west of Thunderbird and Cave Creek (more or less right across from N. 19th St.), or you can go under T-bird via the golf cart path off or N. Point Golf Club Dr. Once you're in the system, miles and miles of riding.

mtbr member
    Shadow Mtn is a lot like Lookout. Not really something you would drive across town for, but it's in the neighborhood. PMP is my usual choice.

SoSlo
    Shoot up to North Valley Parkway via 7th St/Happy Valley/Norterra. As soon as norterra hits NVP, there are mountains in front of you. Take a left on NVP, right on sonoran pkwy and drive until it ends. There is a trail heading south from there that hits the sonoran foothills trailhead. real nice track that winds all around those mountains.
    The Slow One

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip! I found it on Google Earth. I'll have to head up there sometime to explore.
    I rode for a bit up near 12th St and Beardsley today, I've been eyeballing some of those hills from the freeway for a while. But I gotta say, after riding around there today, I'm not really a fan. There are some fun sections, but it's probably more so if you live in the neighborhoods surrounding it. I doubt I'll be back soon.
    Heres what I rode today...

8/26/10

Plan your trips with EveryTrail iPhone Travel Guides

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I live south of there, in the neighborhood if you will. You're right, there's not too much there. It's OK for a quick ride out the door and it's decent for a night ride.

I use it to connect on the east to hook up with the highly tech gnar of Reach 11 or head north to get up to the Cave Creek rec area south of Carefree Highway. Both pretty boring themselves but OK to get in some offroad mileage.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I live at cave creek and bell, hit me up when you want to ride 480.678.4798

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowilly
    tech gnar of Reach 11
    Yeah, it's a veritable Geronimo North! I remember when I first moved to PHX a couple of years ago cruising around the Reach 11 area (with my over-sized XL GT Aggressor.....WAY too big for me, but such a great deal on eBay ). Since it was a "heat warning" day I was looking for something nice and flat. It would have been OK if not for the MASSIVE amounts of sand on the trails.......(since it's basically a flood basin because of the CAP, I supposed that's what I'd expect).

Now, if you HAB up the side of the levee and bombed down, that might be 3 seconds of fun......

mtbr member
    So I decided to head up to Cave Creek Rec area yesterday, to see what those trails were like. I had forgotten that it costs $6 to ride there, and having no cash upon arriving at the gate, I just went right on in. I figured it was late friday afternoon, rangers wouldn't care so much as to come and check my car for the envelope. I'll just ride for a bit and get out before the rangers make their evening rounds. Turns out it wasn't the rangers I had to worry about, it was karma. I drove in sheepishly and parked at the Go John trailhead. There was only one other car in sight, a hiker had just arrived to hike Go John as well. Deciding I didn't want to draw any more attention to myself tha n necessary, I opted to head up the Overton trail first, and connect it with the Go John back to the car.
    Geared up and full of the anticipatory excitement that comes with riding a completely new trail, I headed down the road a way to the Overton trail, and off I was.
    The mountain, however, didn't want me there. Not without paying.
    Not even 5 minutes into the ride, I was thinking I was going to love this ride. I began to pick up speed a bit near the start of the trail, bouncing over the buried logs, until I hit one of them at an odd angle, went soaring through the air, and landed on the ground with my front wheel sideways, and OTB I went. Landed squarely on my already injured shoulder, face, and left forearm, .
    As I lay on the ground in pain and confusion as to what had just happened, I realized that the park was not going to let me ride without paying my dues. This was its way of telling me to go home and come back when I didn't feel like being stingy.
    So I walked the walk of pain, shame, and broken pride back to my car, and went home to lick my wounds.
    Moral of the story: Pay your fees and your tribute to the mountain gods.
    Lesson learned. I will return to attack and conquer this trail when I am healed, with cash in hand.

Dad trying to keep up!
    Aug 2009

Ouch

Sorry to hear about the crash and pain. Heal quick.

I live up in the Cave Creek area (just south) and ride those trails. Not as much lately, need to get at it and back in shape. You can go up Cave Creek Road to Surrey and park there. Over the hill on trail, down to Cave Creek and cross (probably)dry stream bed and up the Slate Trail into the park. Hit Overton and up the back to come down Go John then back the way you came. This is the usual Wed night ride for Flat Tire Bike Shop crowd. Come on by.

Also, on Sundays the Flat Tire shop crowd meets in town and rides out to Spur Cross and then back through the Go John and surrey road back to town. About 21 miles with some good climbs. This is the route for the Cave Creek Bicycle Festival also in November.

Head north for a couple degrees cooler weather and ride. Call Kaolin or Spencer at Flat Tire for the latest on ride times.
    Jeff from Cave Creek

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey Bikedad, I've checked that route on Google Earth and I just had a question. It looks like as the trail heads west toward Cave Creek Wash, the itseems to split off in a bunch of directions, some coming close to private property.

It is obvious once you're on the trail which one will take you to the preserve? (looks like the one [maybe a dirt rd.?] that goes a little north of those houses?)

Dad trying to keep up!
    Aug 2009

Trail clarification

PhxChem--yes, just before you cross the "creek" you are threading through private property. The trail, though, is pretty obvious and public. You drop right down to the creek, go straight across and a quick switchback on the other bank. This is the Slate Trail and goes straight to CC Rec Area parking lot. If you look on googlearth and take Surrey west from Cave Creek Rd you'll see it ends in a cul-de-sac. This is actually a good climb on pavement from CC rd. The trail takes off here and bombs down a rocky stretch to a dirt road. There is a large riding arena on the adjacent property you can probably see on GE too.

The main trail is real obvious so go for it on an early morning before it is too hot, and before an afternoon monsoon washes down again. Probably a 10 mile "lollipop" if you start at Surrey/Cave Creek Rd. I usually park in town and hit Red Wagon for a coffee at end of ride. Flat Tire night riders do this and then hit Bryan's for excellent BBQ in Cave Creek.
    Jeff from Cave Creek

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was riding Cave Creek rec 3-4 times a week until summer hit, got the annual pass for $75 a little steep but its good at most of the parks, Once i get a tune up i will be back out there as much as I can.

mtbr member
    I heard about an area on 24th street where you can park and ride into the park. I might try it out tomorrow if my bike feels up to it. Hope to see you out there!

Dad trying to keep up!
    Aug 2009

24th st

I think you can head north on 24th and turn right on Tanya Ln. Dead ends at park limits and a connector takes you to Overton......I think. Coming around Overton there is a sign for a connector trail to the neighborhoods west, but have never taken it. I like the Surrey hill and creek crossing to Slate Trail into park as described above. Then up the Go John and back.
    Jeff from Cave Creek

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip! I'm going to head back out there next week sometime (or a few times )
    Ill try to find that route.

mtbr member
    Sorry to dig up a dead one...but I found a new playground!

I found a new playground!

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Arizona
    I stumbled upon this area today when I was exploring, and loved it! I didn't hit too many of the big climbs, and didn't want to venture too far on the 100, for fear I would have too much fun and not come home. Saw a few riders out there, too. Next time I'm gonna drive down and park at the end of Shea I think, see how that is. Anyone on here ride out there and recommend any good loops?

mtbr member
    You only scratched the surface.
    Plenty of good riding from where you looped around, both to the east and west. You were at the "Disneyland" and "Date trail" portion. Head west for a nice decent down a fire road, then up to the mine drop loop, or east to take t100 to DD park.
    Dunno if you have this map, so here you go for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North Phoenix Riding?-phoenixmountainpreservesmall.jpg  

North Phoenix Riding?-phxmtns%252012-3-07small.jpg  

Last edited by GR1822; 10-11-2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: add maps

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just to confirm. Yes you can enter Cave Creek Park off of 24th street. Head North on 24th off of Carefree Hwy, go about 1/4 North of Joy Ranch Rd and then head east off the pavement for about 150 yards and you can park right there and then ride east on a dirt rd, follow that rd and it will bring you to the west entrance of the park. You go through a horse gate. I ride that area quite often, it's a good work out and fun. I think it is about 7 miles.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the map, I really like those. I can see why it's called Disneyland, that area is FUN! I usually ride PMP from 40th St, but I dont usually head farther west than DD. (I always get stuck having fun on 1A) So glad I tried this area, though. I'll be riding here a bit more often!

mtbr member
    I just saw how small those maps print out; pretty useless.
    bigger, better top map:
    http://www.rinconranchadventures.com...inpreserve.jpg
    topo:
    http://singletrack.us/gallery/displa...album=54&pos=8

Boriqua Puneta
    Hey guys. Just moved in to north Phoenix 2 days ago from Denver CO. I havent been able to do any riding yet but Im checking your suggestions to what trials to ride ass soon as I have a chance. I still have no Idea how the terrain is here compared to the CO front range trails. I probably see you guys out there soon.
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast