mtbr member
    May 2009

Norco Shore 2 for NRA/DH?

So since I've started riding at NRA I've been looking for a DH bike, and I just found an awesome deal on a 2006 Norco Shore 2. The thing is, it's listed as a freeride bike and I'm too new to DH to know the difference...I'd like to ride it at NRA and do other DH stuff (globe, flagstaff, etc), and being such a good deal, will it work good for what I want to use it for?

Here's the specs: ttp://www.norco.com/archives/2006/bike_enlarged.php?
    lang=en&loc=fs&sloc=fr&tabloc=1&id=shoretwo&col=matteblack

Also, I don't see a front shifter, so is one gear up front a problem or does it really matter if I'm mainly pointing down when I'm riding?

Edit: Also, I think this is a 6" fork...can I put a larger fork on it if I wanted to? Like 7"?

mtbr member
    what fork is on it? The stock one is 7" I think. That would be fine a fine bike for the riding you're describing. I'd check out the reviews here on mtbr and see if anyone else knows more. I've never ridden one.

Freeride bikes are generally a little less travel and bit more pedal friendly than a DH bike, plus the geometry is not quite so slack. I personally would recommend a freeride bike at NRA over a full on DH bike because jumping is easier on a bike with a bit less travel, slightly steeper geometry, and a bit less weight. In fact, I prefer 6" at NRA. But 7" will give you some good squish on other trails you ride downhill.

It looks like it can run a double ring up front, so you could if you wanted, but one gear is dandy if you're mostly going downhill.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts
    what fork is on it? The stock one is 7" I think. That would be fine a fine bike for the riding you're describing. I'd check out the reviews here on mtbr and see if anyone else knows more. I've never ridden one.

Freeride bikes are generally a little less travel and bit more pedal friendly than a DH bike, plus the geometry is not quite so slack. I personally would recommend a freeride bike at NRA over a full on DH bike because jumping is easier on a bike with a bit less travel, slightly steeper geometry, and a bit less weight. In fact, I prefer 6" at NRA. But 7" will give you some good squish on other trails you ride downhill.

It looks like it can run a double ring up front, so you could if you wanted, but one gear is dandy if you're mostly going downhill.
    It's got the Marzocchi Z150, which has awesome reviews. The only thing bad I've read about the bike is that it's pretty heavy, but that's to be expected. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick it up considering the deal that I'm getting and then go from there. Maybe try to find a 7" front fork in the future. Thanks!

Pivotal figure
    That bike would be a great fit for the type of riding you're looking to do. Not sure what size ring is on the one you're looking at but I'm running a 36t on my DH rig which gives plenty of range for climbing and DH (not that it's all that easy climbing with one ring up front)....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude