Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Norcal style trails in the desert?

Where is this trail? What is the name of it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norcal style trails in the desert?-12122012.jpg  

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Don't worry, our awesome park rangers or old-goat riders probably have ripped it out by now. We can't have anything cool here, because someone might get hurt.

Vincit qui patitur
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Is it just me, or does that plank turn seem pretty useless? Sure the turn is off camber, but it seems over kill. Using rocks on the outside to build up a berm would have seemed to make more sense. Also, wood does not last very long here in the dez.

What do I know though. Regardless, I guess it is cool that people are putting some effort into the trails.

No clue where it is at.

How much further ???
    I know where it is and I can tell you its still there. That being said Im not sure I want to post its location on a public forum. PM me if you want details. There is also a nice 10 foot roller about 5 yards after it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Is it just me, or does that plank turn seem pretty useless? Sure the turn is off camber, but it seems over kill. Using rocks on the outside to build up a berm would have seemed to make more sense. Also, wood does not last very long here in the dez.

What do I know though. Regardless, I guess it is cool that people are putting some effort into the trails.

No clue where it is at.
    It just allows you to carry more speed through that section from the previous turn. Its fun if you can link the previous turn into that planked turn with speed, then slam the brakes for the 10 foot roller and blast down the fall line to a 2 foot step drop into the wash.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Good idea, I like the new segments out there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sgaarmy View Post
    Gila Monster in Gold Canyon.. I have cleaned that a couple times...

Jabert

banned
    Sep 2012
    Cool trail....i should try it sometime.

-S

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The trail is fairly vanilla with a fun finish. The wood is a gimmick for sure.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by jabert View Post
    XXXXXXXX in XXXXXXX.. I have cleaned that a couple times...

Jabert
    Can you delete your response please. I answered the OP's question in a private message. I personally dont think we should publicize that type of building on a public forum. Call me paranoid ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Can you delete your response please. I answered the OP's question in a private message. I personally dont think we should publicize that type of building on a public forum. Call me paranoid ...
    Okay, you're paranoid...and spot on.

Any "secret" type trail should be kept secret, especially if said trail has unnatural features that certain land managers, etc. might feel takes away from the beauty of its surroundings.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgaarmy View Post
    No, but I can tell you where this one is!!Norcal style trails in the desert?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355436091.686540.jpg

Meatbomb
    Not sure why all the paranoia if it's on a designated trail, I'm sure the land manager knows about it.

mtbr member
    I hope the termites don't end up eating all your hard work. Make sure to use an exterior grade pressure treated lumber and seal up wherever the wood is cut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CridgeMTBT View Post
    No, but I can tell you where this one is!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355436091.686540.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	744723
    Isn't that at FINS? Is it worth the drive from the QC area to ride FINS?

How much further ???
    Maybe it is ...... maybe it isnt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Isn't that at FINS? Is it worth the drive from the QC area to ride FINS?
    I would go check out Goat Camp XC if you're driving that far.

mtbr member
    Yes, it is. And it is worth the drive! I drive from west side out to Hawes, but if I lied on the east side I'd drive out to FINS.

Just another half mile...
    The Gold Canyon trails are well known now and there are maps on the net. Not secret anymore. The wood section is prettty harmless with no real dangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    FYI; the small wood section was built to continue the flow around, and very close to, a large saguahro. The builders wanted to ensure that no damage to it would result from the trail. covering the roots (at ground level) with dirt/rocks etc perhaps would have led to smothering it; thus the short raised wooden section.

And yes, it does lead directly to the 'Trans Canada Hiway'; aka gulp n go..............try it. You'll like it...if you make it.
    TS

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitionSenior View Post
    FYI; the small wood section was built to continue the flow around, and very close to, a large saguahro. The builders wanted to ensure that no damage to it would result from the trail. covering the roots (at ground level) with dirt/rocks etc perhaps would have led to smothering it; thus the short raised wooden section.

And yes, it does lead directly to the 'Trans Canada Hiway'; aka gulp n go..............try it. You'll like it...if you make it.
    TS
    TS:

Some of the viewers on this forum crack me up. The builder of the ramp puts in a feature to protect a really nice Saguaro and of course the AZ Highway Patrol is obviously going to understand its merit. They have a lot better things to do like chasing the 2012 NODfest across the desert to catch some riders smoking a few joints.

Whoever built that ramp deserves a medal and a free trip to Sedona .

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    TS:
    Some of the viewers on this forum crack me up. The builder of the ramp puts in a feature to protect a really nice Saguaro and of course the AZ Highway Patrol is obviously going to understand its merit. They have a lot better things to do like chasing the 2012 NODfest across the desert to catch some riders smoking a few joints.

I think you get a lot of interesting reactions from the forum viewers as well.

So is it that we question what pirate trail builders do, or that some of us get paranoid about listing stuff like this on-line?

After hearing why they built it, I think it is cool and I really respect their efforts out there.
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 12-14-2012 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    TS:

^^^Still does not get it.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Carnivore
    edit: Double post.
    Last edited by gila monster; 12-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast