mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Noob Needs Trail Rec's

Hey everyone - I'm a noob that's been riding for the last two months exclusively on T100 and its offshoots due to its close proximity to where I live. Now that I've finally gotten the whole clipless thing down (knock on wood) and feel at home on the bike (Fisher X-cal), I'm looking for trail recommendations that would suit a noob. Also, are all the trails in the Valley as brutally rocky as T100? Thanks for any advice any of you may have.

Pivotal figure
    I don't really think of T-100 as 'brutally' rocky but parts of it are a bit nasty . You might want to give Hawes a try; a bit more of a drive but very different terrain. Desert Classic at South Mtn. is also a good option. SoMtn is pretty rocky but not in the same way as T-100. It's mostly granite without all the loose stuff.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you live on the north east side, Pemberton trail and the Union Hills trails (Tatum and Cave Creek) are both "noob" friendly and fairly close.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Make sure you check out the mcdowel comp loops or maybe some pima dynamite if you like to pedal. If you're getting confident work up to hawes. After you've gotten plenty of trail tatoo's and rock rash, armour up and hit national and mormon for some gravity fueled fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My first trail was Javelina at South Mtn about 4 months ago. I think I stained my shorts the first time down, but by the third time I was more comfortable. Hawes is really fun too - I still haven't hit all the trails there.

Try to find someone experienced to ride with - it helps a lot to have someone good to chase around.

Challenge yourself, but don't be afraid to get off your bike and walk!
    I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.

mtbr member
    If you haven't ventured on T100 west of the 51, I'd recommend it. There are miles of trails and lots of fun to be had there. I also ride T100 quite often, since I live about a mile from the 40th street parking lot. SOMO is great if you don't mind the drive down there. I'd start with Deset Classic. It's quite a bit smoother than T100, and tons of fun. It's about a 20 mile out and back from end to end. Once you get comfortable there you can venture to the more technical trails.....National....Mormon....etc.

The Pima/Dynamite trail is ok too. It's not very rocky, but there is some sand. Quads and motorcycles also ride there, so keep that in mind. They've really torn up some of the trails and created some very sandy, loose spots. You can get some good trail time in with very limited rocky technical terrain.

McDowell Mountain Park is great too. They have the Pemberton loop which is a 15ish mile loop, and the Competitive loops. The comp loops are awesome and have a great combination of everything you could want in a trail.

I, Mudd
    Quote Originally Posted by 4theirish
    ...are all the trails in the Valley as brutally rocky as T100?
    That's funny. I passed a guy coming off Trail 100 the other day who asked me- "Is all of Trail 100 this rocky?".

He was pushing his bike back to the Tatum trailhead with a flat...and had no helmet with him. He said he only got about a mile in before the flat. He also said he just moved here from Minnesota.

I told him this area right off of Tatum is the nice smooth stuff

oh Lucky me
    i liked the Mcdowell's, nice and smooth (like no rocks, but plently of braking bumps on the sport loop) ive also heard that hawes is good but will eat your bike if your not careful.
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

im4Gsus
    i too recommend pemberton at mmp ($6 to enter the park).

desert classic at somo is just as rocky as the section of t100 you've ridden. avoid it during the weekends - it's a zoo! not only to park but the trail is full of bikers, hikers, joggers, dogs, you name it.

t100 from 7th street heading east is not too rocky. rollercoaster, just east of cave creek rd, is a hoot!

i'm thinking of riding there tomorrow morning (saturday 11-8). i'm not a noob, but i ride at a casual pace. if you care to join me, pm me or post here.

ms kaboose
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    ive also heard that hawes is good but will eat your bike if your not careful.
    Yes, took a bite out of my rear brake yesterday evening, and my elbow. Nothing here like "HOLY POOP!!!" but a number of challenging sections which keep you on your toes. I think Hawes is a great transition for the beginner rider to improve skills. No shame in hiking the sections you're not sure about either.

mtbr member
    Try the Black Canyon Trail. The BCT is smooth as glass in most areas and sports awesome views.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely looking forward to getting out and trying new places now that I'm gaining some measure of confidence in my abilities. Kaboose the invite is much appreciated but I'm going to need a rain check - the only thing I will be riding tomorrow morning is my desk unfortunately.