Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DFL>DNF>DNS

non-AES Coco250: Oct. 12th

The official AES Coco250 is being held on Friday Oct. 5th, but a few people, including myself, are going to the Tour of the White Mountains on the 6th. Chad initially moved the date, but a few out-of-staters already had lodging/plane tix booked.

So, I really wanted to do this ride and the weekend of the 12-15 works. Here's the deal: Everything will be the same, only a second start date is being added. I have not done the route, so continue to refer to the AES page for route, cue sheets, campsites, etc. Please USE the AES site for signing up for the ride on the 12th. Scott has indicated there will be SPOT coverage on Trackleaders.com for this event. Rental SPOTs are available.

Please email Scott @ smorris@topofusion.com to let him know that you are starting on the 12th, we will be marked as ITT riders. Also, let Scott know if you need a rental SPOT, links are up on the AES site for payment. I will be handing out the SPOTs the morning of the event, please don't wait to reserve yours.

If you are interested in this ride, add your name to this thread. I'll keep the start list updated periodically.

'We will be meeting on Friday, October 12 at 7:00am in Flagstaff, downtown at ‘The Place’ (21 S Milton Rd).'

Personally, I plan on doing this route at a touring pace, big camera in tow. I'll track my time more for fun.

Who's in?
    freeskier46 (John)
    kipyoung
    stevland (Steve)
    cheeseunit
    cforsander (Carl)

evdog - maybe??
    kreechan - maybe??
    urbanseeds - maybe??
    Last edited by freeskier46; 09-21-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Change in registration process: USE AES Website!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    The official AES Coco250 is being held on Friday Oct. 5th, but a few people, including myself, are going to the Tour of the White Mountains on the 6th. Chad initially moved the date, but a few out-of-staters already had lodging/plane tix booked.

So, I really wanted to do this ride and the weekend of the 12-15 works. Here's the deal: Everything will be the same, only a second start date is being added. I have not done the route, so continue to refer to the AES page for route, cue sheets, campsites, etc. DO NOT use the AES site for signing up for the ride on the 12th. Chad indicated that there may be SPOT coverage on Trackleaders.com for this event.

If you are interested in this ride, add your name to this thread. I'll keep the start list updated periodically.

'We will be meeting on Friday, October 12 at 7:00am in Flagstaff, downtown at ‘The Place’ (21 S Milton Rd).'

Personally, I plan on doing this route at a touring pace, big camera in tow. I'll track my time more for fun.

Who's in?
    freeskier46 (John)
    Good luck John!

Hope you have better weather than for the 300.

Rhino
    I may join you. Planning on the 5th, but might not make it. I've have ridden a bastardized version of the course last year. We hit nasty mud and snow and made some entertaining beer filled detours.

-Rhino

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Damn! Tour De Scottsdale weekend! I so wanna do the 250.. just dont have the legs for it yet! Make sure you take lots of pics!

mtbr member
    I'd like to do this. Just a couple shakedown rides from fully committing...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    I'd like to do this. Just a couple shakedown rides from fully committing...
    Oh, you're doing this, so get that shakedown ride over with!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

... and if we just ... I'm in

I'm in for the 12th, looking forward to it. Planning on driving in on the 11th and hitting a cheap motel. Would be cool to see this on trackleaders.com...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hotel booked, on to finishing out gear... I have a great light summer bag, but my guess is that won't cut it for October in the Arizona mountains. What kind of weather should we see at night? sub 30?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    kipyoung: Glad you're coming in. My guess on the temps would be low 40's unless an early winter-ish storm rolls through, maybe others that have been in the area in October could chime in as well. There has been snow up on Mingus for one of the recent Coco's. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for sure.

Where are you coming in from?
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Hey John, put me down as a maybe for this. I won't know til end of the month though.

By touring pace, are you planning to follow the 4-day AES schedule? 5 days might be more realistic for me with a loaded bike as my longest ride to date is 63mi. Granted, this route is probably only 1/2 singletrack though....

Quote Originally Posted by kipyoung View Post
    Hotel booked, on to finishing out gear... I have a great light summer bag, but my guess is that won't cut it for October in the Arizona mountains. What kind of weather should we see at night? sub 30?
    We were in N. Rim/Flag a couple years ago second weekend in October. Low temps were mid 30's right in Flag. Interestingly, there was a huge temperature inversion and it was 70 when we shuttled to top of Elden that morning. I would think mid to low 30s would not be out of the question so like John said, check the forecast. I have a light ~40F bag that I have a liner for, which adds 10*, and has been fine down to freezing.
    Last edited by evdog; 09-05-2012 at 01:00 PM.

mtbr member
    When I've done the standard 4 day race the coldest night out is the second night on Mingus Mt.

If you guys spend your second night down around Cottonwood you'll have a much easier second day and a much warmer camp. Tho there is a fairly long no camping section as you head out of town.

The third night we always get a room in Williams. If you spend a night out up there it will be cold as well.

I've always been fine with my 32 deg bag wearing a light layer and a warm hat.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Evan, I'm planning on the 4 day pace. I think I'm in a similar position as you, I've only done 3 overnight trips so far. My longest single day loaded bikepacking ride was this past year's AZT300 on day 2 at 67 miles. That day had the freak winter storm and we still managed, I think you'd be fine.

Thanks for the input Tim
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Freeskier46: coming from DFW area of Texas. Booked a motel room at Highland Country Inn one block from "the Place". Where do you plan on leaving your car or are you local?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Kip, I'm driving up from the Phoenix area, not sure about the car drop yet. I'll probably ask Chad on that one.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Just to the SW of The Place in the neighborhood, we parked along the side of a vacant lot.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

My other ride is your mom
    I was planning on doing the AES scheduled Coco but I have to fly to Orlando for a conference on the 8th, so I'm planning on doing the ride a day earlier...starting 4 OCT and finishing the tour pace on 7 OCT. Anyone able or want to join me?

I was pretty stoked to be doing it with the group this year since it usually falls on TUK/FXS weekend which is when I destroy my voice, my colon, my liver and my pancreas all in one foul swoop.

Post up if you'd like to join me.

My other ride is your mom
    Come ON!!!!! Who's comin' with me!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!! Credit Card touring at it's best!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just found this thread.I"m in for the 12th .Driving up from phoenix area as well.This will be my first group bikepack,looking forward to new faces.Feel free to pm. me if anyone wants to carpool,trip plan, pre ride .

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Bumping this thread, updated the registration process. See 1st post in this thread. SPOT rentals are available, our group will be on Trackleaders.com. Please use the AES site for registration.

See you in a few weeks!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Evdog is working on me to join this adventure - need to work out some details, but you can put me down as a maybe...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Coco250 Oct. 12th

Put my name in for the Oct 12. Stage Race.

It will be my first multi-day ride and I am looking forward to it!

I am traveling from Santa Monica, CA.

Advice for newbies would be welcome.

-Carl

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Flagstaff Mountain Film Festival

Just came across this: Flagstaff Mountain Film Festival - "Reveal the Path" from the producers of "Ride the Divide" is showing Thursday evening 10/11.

flagstaffmountainfilms.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/FMFF_2012_mini-programweb.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This guy just got back from another weekend around flagstaff area. I'm ready, I think. The evenings were in the mid 30's. It was cold , but slept comfy with a light bag, and liner. Probably 5 days for me, we will see

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Cheesunit: What route did you do? Stevland and I were also up there, but we did an uber-cool modification of the Crazy 88 route on Sat. Some 90 miles & 10k of climbing worth!!

Evan: Are you guys coming over for this??
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Looks like I can no longer edit the original post, but Eric Foster is also IN for the 12th, but he may be doing a thru ride ITT.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast