My other ride is your mom

No Riding with Sinus Funk

OK....who has the head cold/sinus funk going around which leaves me looking at my bike rather than riding it? I tend to be the proverbial canary in the coal mine when it comes to these "sinus plagues" moving around, but I've seen some blogging going on up in Flag indicating it was going on up there a few weeks ago.

Symptoms include sore butt from not riding, ear and sinus congestion, swollen lymph nodes in neck, lethargy. I started feeling bad Tuesday night....it came on quick...in about 30 minutes. I went to work yesterday and felt crappy, but not bad. Today....I feel worse and am at home. I had my flu shot this year, but I know that's a crap shoot....maybe it's the flu. Hope to be back in the saddle by Saturday morning...perhaps I'm being optimistic. Thoughts, experiences with this 08' version of the December funk?

Master Gardener
    I used to consider this **** a "cold." But after a few years of repeatedly getting "sick" since I moved to Arizona and realizing that every single time it's a carbon copy of the time before in terms of symptoms, I finally admitted to myself that it's allergies. I'm allergic to Northern Arizona.

I suspect the junipers but don't know for sure. It could be the hairspray and make-up of the Arizona Housewives.

you do have a point....every DEC to early JAN right around vacation time....I get hit and the symptoms are the same. As for the pollen count, ceder and juniper are the predominant factors right now according to pollenlibrary.com....but the levels being reported are all low. Either way....it sucks....I can feel my hamstrings getting sore just sitting here.

Master Gardener
    True... either way, it sucks. Hope yer back on two wheels again soon.

I just slug down Claritin-D and head out myself. Not the wisest choice, but I'd rather die pedaling than sit indoors.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    When I lived down in the stinky valley I would get, twice a year, an allergy related "funk". Couldn't breathe,felt achy,in general just felt like SH!T for about a week, week and a half.

It really does mess with your riding, at least for me, beyond the actual sickness. After moving up to Preskit, I only get the allergy related "funk" like once a year(so far). I still get a beginning of the cold season "cold" (got the one your talking about last week). I don't think it's allergies, my 2 kids got it(the typical runny nose and coughing) but only lasted a day or 2 for them. I got it then my wife! That doesn't sound like allergies, but similar symptoms.

Maybe Velo is on to something....AZ housewife makeup? HMMMM

Remember, drink plenty of fluids(including Tequila, kills everything) and don't rush getting back on the bike, nothing worse than a 2nd go around of the Funk.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    It really does mess with your riding, at least for me, beyond the actual sickness. After moving up to Preskit, I only get the allergy related "funk" like once a year(so far). I still get a beginning of the cold season "cold" (got the one your talking about last week). I don't think it's allergies, my 2 kids got it(the typical runny nose and coughing) but only lasted a day or 2 for them. I got it then my wife! That doesn't sound like allergies, but similar symptoms.
    See, two things:

1- People seem to assume that if everyone around you gets the funk at the same time, they must be passing a cold... but if pollen counts or humidity changes suddenly make everyone's allergies flare up, everyone would show symptoms at the same time, just as if they were passing a cold.

2- My allergy symptoms are always (a) wake up with a slight sore throat one morning and, if I don't take Claritin (or similar), (b) my sinuses start getting funky and the mucus drains down my throat, and then (c) if I let it go too long, it drains into my lungs and I get bronchitis.

Same thing, every time. When I first moved here I couldn't figure out why I went from very rarely getting sick to having bronchitis twice a year. I finally decided it could be allergies even though I'd never had an allergy symptom in my life regardless of where I was living, and for the helluvit I took some Claritin. Three days later, I was 'cured' of my 'cold.'

So... I'm just saying...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    See, two things:

1- People seem to assume that if everyone around you gets the funk at the same time, they must be passing a cold... but if pollen counts or humidity changes suddenly make everyone's allergies flare up, everyone would show symptoms at the same time, just as if they were passing a cold.

2- My allergy symptoms are always (a) wake up with a slight sore throat one morning and, if I don't take Claritin (or similar), (b) my sinuses start getting funky and the mucus drains down my throat, and then (c) if I let it go too long, it drains into my lungs and I get bronchitis.

Same thing, every time. When I first moved here I couldn't figure out why I went from very rarely getting sick to having bronchitis twice a year. I finally decided it could be allergies even though I'd never had an allergy symptom in my life regardless of where I was living, and for the helluvit I took some Claritin. Three days later, I was 'cured' of my 'cold.'

So... I'm just saying...

That makes total sense! I just assumed "cold", in phx. I was the only one in my family that suffered from allergies. My wife and son never. After we move up here, mine decrease in frequency and theirs increase. I still think Tequila is the answer!

Master Gardener
    One last comment and I'll cease with the threadjacking... sorry, Maad...

I've read that juniper produces one of the few types of pollen that a significant portion of the population are allergic to exclusively. In other words, most people who suffer from allergies are sensitive to an array of pollen types, but there are many people who are sensitive to juniper pollen and yet have no other allergies.

That would describe me, I think.

Tequila is almost always one solution to a given problem! Vive tequila.

no worries on the threadjacking....wanted a discussion of what makes us sit on the couch and not ride...for me it's the funk. I tend to be susceptible to sinus problems....so your personal assessment as to the allergen being the catalyst, followed by other problems is the same symptomology I see in my self. However, mine manifests into sinus infections which just saps me of strength. As a note...check out this 30-day pollen count for my zip-code....dirty Mesa. I started coming down with the funk the night of 2 DEC.
    From Out There