Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

No helmet on South Mountain

So, there I am, climbing up Mormon, and look, there is some guy bombing down with no helmet on.

Interesting choice. Why would one do this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CridgeMTBT View Post
    So, there I am, climbing up Mormon, and look, there is some guy bombing down with no helmet on.

Interesting choice. Why would one do this?
    Nothing inside to protect !

mtbr member
    Darwin theories at work...

Ninja Master Powers
    Darwin Award winner…

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    was he going ludicrous speed?

Happy Trails

I forgot my helmet at McD Comp Loops (car trip) once and decided to take a loop without the lid. Felt seriously weird. Not enjoyable. But alls well that ends well and I reckon he was something similar situation. I can't even remember the last time I saw somebody riding (a bike) without a helmet.

mtbr member

Cause this is 'murika!

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Give it a crank
    Forgot his brain in the car, gotta go get it in a real hurry.

Elitest thrill junkie
    He wants you to pick up the helicopter bill.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Saw a guy with his helmet on his back pack crash right in front of us on Mormon the other month. He was allright, but I had to point out there are better places to have helmets than a back pack.

I also love seeing the newbie, or family on trails with no helmet. It feels rude, but I always say something.

Meatbomb
    I see a lady riding without a helmet in the McD's on occasion. I keep my mouth shut. Not my place to tell her what to do.

EDR
    What's 'Murika about it is that everyone else feels entitled enough to have some self righteous opinion about what some guy who they don't even know did or did not do....so much so that they feel the need to talk about it to lots of other people they don't really even know. That's 'Murika.

If dude was ''bombing" SoMo, he is no newbie. I'm sure he wears a helmet 99.9% of the time. He took a risk, to each his own. Live and let live kinda thing in my book. It's not like a newbie family in need of friendly guidance.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I sometimes swim after I eat but ya he should be wearing a helmet.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I consider making a helmet comment as educational. I am not forcing them to wear a helmet, just pointing out nicely that it would be a good idea.

For the guy that crashed in front of me, I would have said nothing, but he crashed on something really easy and I could not resist the irony.

God Bless Merika!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Good idea to wear a helmet if you can't mind your own business.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Man, I used to be seriously uptight about folks riding without helmets. My reasoning: you're going to obligate me to help your stupid self if I come across you and your noggin is split open because you weren't wearing a helmet. My secondary reasoning was a lame "but think of the children" thing. Then I realized I'm gonna help someone down whether they were wearing a helmet or not, and stupid people are gonna raise stupid kids regardless. I'm sad for the kids whose parents don't helmet up every ride.

Now I just judge in silence and hope my insurance premiums aren't going up too much.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    What's 'Murika about it is that everyone else feels entitled enough to have some self righteous opinion about what some guy who they don't even know did or did not do....so much so that they feel the need to talk about it to lots of other people they don't really even know. That's 'Murika.

If dude was ''bombing" SoMo, he is no newbie. I'm sure he wears a helmet 99.9% of the time. He took a risk, to each his own. Live and let live kinda thing in my book. It's not like a newbie family in need of friendly guidance.
    I love the self contradiction in this post.

pedaller
    +1 Ranger

Riding on SoMo without a helmet is no different than riding a moto in PHX without a helmet....

OK, maybe it is a little safer....
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    I don't think it should be a law that you HAVE to wear a helmet or seat belt or (insert safety device.) But seriously, why the hell wouldn't you? If you don't want to wear a helmet or seat belt, that's your prerogative, but I won't ride or drive without gear.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I don't think it should be a law that you HAVE to wear a helmet or seat belt or (insert safety device.) But seriously, why the hell wouldn't you? If you don't want to wear a helmet or seat belt, that's your prerogative, but I won't ride or drive without gear.
    it costs money to scrape a smeared person off the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post

Bah, nonsense!

Just leave them where they drop as a warning to others. Some coyote or feral dog will be along shortly to take care of business.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Man, I used to be seriously uptight about folks riding without helmets. My reasoning: you're going to obligate me to help your stupid self if I come across you and your noggin is split open because you weren't wearing a helmet. My secondary reasoning was a lame "but think of the children" thing. Then I realized I'm gonna help someone down whether they were wearing a helmet or not, and stupid people are gonna raise stupid kids regardless. I'm sad for the kids whose parents don't helmet up every ride.

Now I just judge in silence and hope my insurance premiums aren't going up too much.
    Personally Im not concerned about insurance going up because of "stupid people" not wearing a helmet. I am however concerned about stupid legislation that WILL jack up our premiums big time. Wait until 2014.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    Ah the great helmet debate. Such a polarizing topic.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interesting to read this immediately after getting word a local guy went down on the Sea Otter XC loop yesterday, hit his head while wearing a helmet, and likely won't live.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I sometimes swim after I eat but ya he should be wearing a helmet.
    You mean you don't wait the recommended 45 minutes after eating before swimming? Jesus man! You must have a death wish!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast