Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

No helmet on South Mountain

So, there I am, climbing up Mormon, and look, there is some guy bombing down with no helmet on.

Interesting choice. Why would one do this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CridgeMTBT View Post
    So, there I am, climbing up Mormon, and look, there is some guy bombing down with no helmet on.

Interesting choice. Why would one do this?
    Nothing inside to protect !

mtbr member
    Darwin theories at work...

Ninja Master Powers
    Darwin Award winner…

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    was he going ludicrous speed?

Happy Trails

I forgot my helmet at McD Comp Loops (car trip) once and decided to take a loop without the lid. Felt seriously weird. Not enjoyable. But alls well that ends well and I reckon he was something similar situation. I can't even remember the last time I saw somebody riding (a bike) without a helmet.

mtbr member

Cause this is 'murika!

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Give it a crank
    Forgot his brain in the car, gotta go get it in a real hurry.

Elitest thrill junkie
    He wants you to pick up the helicopter bill.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Saw a guy with his helmet on his back pack crash right in front of us on Mormon the other month. He was allright, but I had to point out there are better places to have helmets than a back pack.

I also love seeing the newbie, or family on trails with no helmet. It feels rude, but I always say something.

Meatbomb
    I see a lady riding without a helmet in the McD's on occasion. I keep my mouth shut. Not my place to tell her what to do.

EDR
    What's 'Murika about it is that everyone else feels entitled enough to have some self righteous opinion about what some guy who they don't even know did or did not do....so much so that they feel the need to talk about it to lots of other people they don't really even know. That's 'Murika.

If dude was ''bombing" SoMo, he is no newbie. I'm sure he wears a helmet 99.9% of the time. He took a risk, to each his own. Live and let live kinda thing in my book. It's not like a newbie family in need of friendly guidance.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I sometimes swim after I eat but ya he should be wearing a helmet.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I consider making a helmet comment as educational. I am not forcing them to wear a helmet, just pointing out nicely that it would be a good idea.

For the guy that crashed in front of me, I would have said nothing, but he crashed on something really easy and I could not resist the irony.

God Bless Merika!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Good idea to wear a helmet if you can't mind your own business.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Saucy Size
    Man, I used to be seriously uptight about folks riding without helmets. My reasoning: you're going to obligate me to help your stupid self if I come across you and your noggin is split open because you weren't wearing a helmet. My secondary reasoning was a lame "but think of the children" thing. Then I realized I'm gonna help someone down whether they were wearing a helmet or not, and stupid people are gonna raise stupid kids regardless. I'm sad for the kids whose parents don't helmet up every ride.

Now I just judge in silence and hope my insurance premiums aren't going up too much.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    What's 'Murika about it is that everyone else feels entitled enough to have some self righteous opinion about what some guy who they don't even know did or did not do....so much so that they feel the need to talk about it to lots of other people they don't really even know. That's 'Murika.

If dude was ''bombing" SoMo, he is no newbie. I'm sure he wears a helmet 99.9% of the time. He took a risk, to each his own. Live and let live kinda thing in my book. It's not like a newbie family in need of friendly guidance.
    I love the self contradiction in this post.

pedaller
    +1 Ranger

Riding on SoMo without a helmet is no different than riding a moto in PHX without a helmet....

OK, maybe it is a little safer....
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    I don't think it should be a law that you HAVE to wear a helmet or seat belt or (insert safety device.) But seriously, why the hell wouldn't you? If you don't want to wear a helmet or seat belt, that's your prerogative, but I won't ride or drive without gear.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I don't think it should be a law that you HAVE to wear a helmet or seat belt or (insert safety device.) But seriously, why the hell wouldn't you? If you don't want to wear a helmet or seat belt, that's your prerogative, but I won't ride or drive without gear.
    it costs money to scrape a smeared person off the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post

Bah, nonsense!

Just leave them where they drop as a warning to others. Some coyote or feral dog will be along shortly to take care of business.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Man, I used to be seriously uptight about folks riding without helmets. My reasoning: you're going to obligate me to help your stupid self if I come across you and your noggin is split open because you weren't wearing a helmet. My secondary reasoning was a lame "but think of the children" thing. Then I realized I'm gonna help someone down whether they were wearing a helmet or not, and stupid people are gonna raise stupid kids regardless. I'm sad for the kids whose parents don't helmet up every ride.

Now I just judge in silence and hope my insurance premiums aren't going up too much.
    Personally Im not concerned about insurance going up because of "stupid people" not wearing a helmet. I am however concerned about stupid legislation that WILL jack up our premiums big time. Wait until 2014.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Ah the great helmet debate. Such a polarizing topic.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interesting to read this immediately after getting word a local guy went down on the Sea Otter XC loop yesterday, hit his head while wearing a helmet, and likely won't live.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I sometimes swim after I eat but ya he should be wearing a helmet.
    You mean you don't wait the recommended 45 minutes after eating before swimming? Jesus man! You must have a death wish!

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Helmet debate aside, I've noticed a lot more people on South Mountain without helmets in the last year. Mostly younger 20-somethings. When I was that age, everyone but the bike messenger wanna-bees and the uber-cool roadies in their euro riding caps wore a helmet. Is this some kind of millennial generational thing?

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkaz View Post
    Helmet debate aside, I've noticed a lot more people on South Mountain without helmets in the last year. Mostly younger 20-somethings. When I was that age, everyone but the bike messenger wanna-bees and the uber-cool roadies in their euro riding caps wore a helmet. Is this some kind of millennial generational thing?
    Who knows. I grew up without wearing a helmet and I made it. Im also old enough that I used to ride in the front seat with my dad with no seatbelt. Legally. Oh and my radio flyer didnt have seatbelts either and it was made of wood. CRAZY Sh!t right there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I cut the tags off of my mattresses

Then I ran to put the scissors away sharp ends out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Having seen someone die of brain trauma first-hand, I'll wear my helmet. S#!+ ain't pretty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    I consider making a helmet comment as educational. I am not forcing them to wear a helmet, just pointing out nicely that it would be a good idea.
    I like to provide educational comments to chubby riders wearing helmets I encounter that they're fat and shouldn't eat so much.

Yes, I wear a helmet, but honestly people, enjoy your self-righteous ride and let others enjoy theirs.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    He wants you to pick up the helicopter bill.
    I know your'e kidding, but you do raise a point. (Intentionally, I think.) Currently, people with health insurance are getting scarcer and scarcer. So if an un-helmeted person sustains a serious head trauma, we the people get to pick up the tab for all their medical bills, more often than not. And in this country, the medical billing industry is NOT kidding around.

Happy Trails

What about skiing? I'm a little embarrassed to admit I been skiing hard for 25 years but only in a helmet for the last 5. This pic from back in the day, but I can't imagine skiing without a helmet now.
    No helmet on South Mountain-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365478316.752320.jpg

Vitamin Bike Added
    +1 helmet on the slopes since 2001, took some scary head shots in my glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    What about skiing? I'm a little embarrassed to admit I been skiing hard for 25 years but only in a helmet for the last 5. This pic from back in the day, but I can't imagine skiing without a helmet now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365478316.752320.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	788772
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Let's not turn this into a thread about ppl in their 20s not wearing helmets. Humans in general are dumb. All age groups have dumb dumbs.

I used to occasionally do XC rides with a coworker who didn't wear a helmet. Watched a number of other bikers make demeaning comments to him about not having one on. Not once of the 6-7 times this happened did anyone do it in an educational or im-just-trying-to-help type tone. It was always someone talking down to him like a random a$$hole.

I completely agree that you are an idiot if you don't wear a helmet. I've had 3 minor concussions and 1 major head trauma I was lucky to survive. I know how much you need to protect your dome. That said, mind your own damn business people. I don't find the need to say things to riders without a helmet. I'm helping rid our world of dumb dumbs by NOT saying anything to them. Natural selection at its best.
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

Let's build one more
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    I completely agree that you are an idiot if you don't wear a helmet. I've had 3 minor concussions and 1 major head trauma I was lucky to survive. I know how much you need to protect your dome. That said, mind your own damn business people. I don't find the need to say things to riders without a helmet. I'm helping rid our world of dumb dumbs by NOT saying anything to them. Natural selection at its best.
    I agree also but the problem is this: Anyone has the right to be a jerk but when said jerk gets hurt and has to use City, Gov, Federal assistance to get him to a doctor and we the people have to pay for it,
    Now I have a huge problem with it.

If they were always billed for the services rendered and they always paid in full, have at it Darwin...
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well made point. Wish any of us had a good answer for that problem!

Oh and just to note I paid for my medical bills Well I paid a few grand and my insurance paid about a quarter mil. I quickly learned the value of medical.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I agree also but the problem is this: Anyone has the right to be a jerk but when said jerk gets hurt and has to use City, Gov, Federal assistance to get him to a doctor and we the people have to pay for it,
    Now I have a huge problem with it.

If they were always billed for the services rendered and they always paid in full, have at it Darwin...
    I hear this argument used all the time in these types of discussions and Im not sure I buy it. Claims like this make it sound like there is an epidemic of helmetless mountan bikers getting picked off mountains everyday. While Im sure it does happen now and then what is the % of mountain rescues due to riders not wearing a helmet verse any other type of rescue. If we are really that concerned about "we the people" paying for mountain rescue why dont we push for legislation that requires you to carry a minimum of 70oz of water with you any time you set foot on a trail. How many rescues do you see on TV of people with dehydration and heat exhaustion getting picked off the mountains every year? Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    if an un-helmeted person sustains a serious head trauma, we the people get to pick up the tab for all their medical bills, more often than not. And in this country, the medical billing industry is NOT kidding around.
    Purported Helivac cost in AZ = $15k

What a ride

Okay to mention that to the moron?
    That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Oh and my radio flyer didnt have seatbelts either and it was made of wood. CRAZY Sh!t right there.
    And no doubt went way too fast down some big ass hills.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    yeah if you really want to do something dangerously stupid,, feeding a pack of wild hyenas is much cooler

live long and huck
    yeah if you really want to do something dangerously stupid,, feeding a pack of wild hyenas is much cooler

Hard to see for sure, but is he wearing a helmet??

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    wouldn't matter,, they'd eat it too...

live long and huck
    Now, if he was riding a hyena down Mormon, with no helmet, there'd be cause for concern.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    well duh,, helmets arent made to fit hyenas

mtbr member
    well duh,, helmets arent made to fit hyenas
    Not even the 'one size fits all' ones? Looks like I'm riding solo again....

live long and huck
    Hyena shreddin would be badass. Takes a snack break, got an assortment of mice and critters in his Camelbak. Wouldn't need elbow pads, just 4 knee pads. No need for a light for night rides.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by wdonegan View Post
    I like to provide educational comments to chubby riders wearing helmets I encounter that they're fat and shouldn't eat so much.

Yes, I wear a helmet, but honestly people, enjoy your self-righteous ride and let others enjoy theirs.
    Fair enough, you and others disagree.

I get the whole personal freedom thing and I support it, but it is not all black and white. I consider this a gray issue.

Maybe I am biased on this issue. Helmets have saved my life multiple times, in multiple sports. I have also spent 5 days in the ICU with head trauma. I was a total prick for about 6 months after due to the effects to the brain. I have had an 8 year old with a concussion as well.

If I see someone, my guess, a newbie on the trail without a helmet, in passing I will say, "a helmet is a good idea out here" and that is it. I will continue to do so too. If I see someone littering on the trail, I will say something. If I see someone cutting in stupid crappy trails, I will say something. If I saw a moto or a quad on an mtb trail, I will say something. I also make a point to say hi to everyone else I see on the trail while passing.

That said, I don't think there is any need for a mtb helmet law. I prefer less regulation, and I would not want anyone barred from riding without a helmet. Plus, the community and the culture seems to handle it pretty well. I have seen maybe 5 people without a helmet in the last year or so and I ride regularly.

Got to love it when threads get political. Hope to see you all on the trails some time!

The Helmet Nazi!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I didn't wear a helmet either as a kid - I didn't know any better, plus they were hard come by, expensive and akward. Now they are plenty, cheap and light. My wife washed on Pembo a week ago, fell hard on her side and hit her head hard. Had a little headache, and tons of bruises and scrapes. I wonder what would happen without a helmet.

I admit when I ride with my kids in our neighborhood I don't wear a helmet, my kids do though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd be concerned that the jerk on the hyena coming up the hill doesn't get out of the way of my fast-moving downhill hyena in time, and wrecks my hyena-strava time!

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are swaths of people out there that don't believe in wearing seatbelts. Don't believe me? They are out there. Just the other day we had someone fly out of the cockpit of an airplane because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. 2500' plunge to his death. These are the stupidest situations, and there should be some laws to reduce the cost to society. Think of all the people who the families are going to try and sue, because it "wasn't safe". If there's a law to wear your damn seatbelt, then they can't point to lack of regulations. I don't think there should be a "helmet law" for riding your bikes, but I don't think any of those people are "taking their chances and making their own decision". If they were really doing that, they'd have a DNR card, something in their wallet to tell people to not rescue them, they'd let the people they ride with know this, they'd inform their families of the actions, and they'd have all their bills/loans/mortgages paid off. Of course, they aren't really taking responsibility for their actions...
    Last edited by Jayem; 04-10-2013 at 06:08 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast