mtbr member

(No Bike Content) Mexico/Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point vacation?

I was thinking of taking the girlfriend down to Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco for a couple nights. Anyone been down there?

How hard is it to find a place with a private pool/spa? I wanted to find somewhere that we could just chill, she could wear a small bikini, and that would be something different.

How is the drive if you've done it? I know the rules for crossing the border into Mexico are a lot like going to Canada, no guns, bricks, bombs, bullets or other means of destruction. Is the drive safe? I know I should/will get Mexico insurance, but is there anything else I need to do to cover my non-existent ass?

mtbr member
    You need a passport to get back into the states.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    I needed one to get back in from Canada too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My grandparents took me down to Rocky Point when I was a kid and it was beautiful from what I recall. I rode a mechanical bull for the first time and at 13 years old, my parents weren't too happy to hear about that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    worth checking out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoooo
    I needed one to get back in from Canada too.
    Then I guess you have one.
    Good for you.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

skilldest©
    I have made the trip in the family car with the wife and kids a few times and had a positive experience. I have also heard horror stories from friends saying they would never go back.

Some things I would suggest: 1) only drive in the daytime, 2) drive the speed limit, 3) stay in the tourist areas, 4) pay with cash at hotel, 5) when driving stay on the main roads, 6) watch how the locals drive and adjust to the "flow", 7) check the US department of state or whatever it is called for travel advisories, 8) if you want a quick 5 lbs weight loss program drink lots of local water, 9) hablando espanol helps, 10) I have had good experiences in MX...street smarts help...have fun definitly worth checking out

sandbagger
    ive been there this summer had friends and family there last weekend. Just follow dragons rules. private pools and spas will really cost you. there are some at Bella Serena, but they are like million dollar condos people rent out.
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoooo
    I was thinking of taking the girlfriend down to Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco for a couple nights. Anyone been down there?

How hard is it to find a place with a private pool/spa? I wanted to find somewhere that we could just chill, she could wear a small bikini, and that would be something different.

How is the drive if you've done it? I know the rules for crossing the border into Mexico are a lot like going to Canada, no guns, bricks, bombs, bullets or other means of destruction. Is the drive safe? I know I should/will get Mexico insurance, but is there anything else I need to do to cover my non-existent ass?
    You do know Mexicans live in Mexico, right?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Just another half mile...
    Don't need a pool this time of year. There should be plenty of beach front homes/condos for rent that have great porches and easy access to the beach. Late September/early October is the best time to go down. The air temps start to cool down and the water is perfect to hang out in. Chollaball has a place down there and can provide more up to date info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Don't need a pool this time of year. There should be plenty of beach front homes/condos for rent that have great porches and easy access to the beach. Late September/early October is the best time to go down. The air temps start to cool down and the water is perfect to hang out in. Chollaball has a place down there and can provide more up to date info.
    Just to add to this, Los Conchas is probably the area you'd want to look at. Lots of rentals, and amazing snorkling! Other than that, there are Americanized resorts on Sandy Beach.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

suvlako
    My folks have a few places at La Princesa. None with a private pool but they do have two pools and a Jacooz. Mom told me it's been dead down there with the economy and all but that it is perfectly safe and great deals on Hotels and such. Be respectful and try not to further the "Ugly American" stereotype and you will have a blast. Let me know if youneed recommendations for restaurants as my folks know all the really good spots, I say do it! Also, my folks rent there place out pretty reasonably.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    You do know Mexicans live in Mexico, right?
    Call-back of the century!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Be respectful and try not to further the "Ugly American" stereotype
    what's that supposed to mean?

Meatbomb
    It's supposed to mean that some bring a bad image south of the border with them by acting like they are better than the mexican people and there are no limits.

I try to bring respect and compassion but have seen the other side.

It's not that difficult to comprehend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    had some epic guys weekends down there, aaaaand had an ok time when I took my girl. Lesson learned leave the ladies at home and take yer bro's, you can get sooo much more for a dollar there..... Hit the fresh fish market and you can take a couple pounds of it cheap back to the us with you for a final meal that night.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    It's supposed to mean that some bring a bad image south of the border with them by acting like they are better than the mexican people and there are no limits.

I try to bring respect and compassion but have seen the other side.

It's not that difficult to comprehend.
    It goes both ways. Plenty of people who have immigrated to our country also bring a bad image.

Meatbomb
    yup ..

mtbr member
    One of my friends from Reno I guess owns a place down there, so I am headed down there. No pool, but a private jacuz, which works just fine for me.

I think when you go somewhere it behooves you to try to blend in. You know, like Tom Hanks did in Castaway...

mtbr member
    I usually take a couple of different shades of shoe polish, a Mexican blanket with a hole in it, for a coat, and a big ol' hat, with dingleberries all around it. Also a huge guitar, and a bottle of Tequila, with a worm at the bottom. That's how I blend in.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp ThAAng
    I usually take a couple of different shades of shoe polish, a Mexican blanket with a hole in it, for a coat, and a big ol' hat, with dingleberries all around it. Also a huge guitar, and a bottle of Tequila, with a worm at the bottom. That's how I blend in.

professional drinkers know that it's mezcal that has the worm in it....not tequila......

suvlako
    Berzeker,

This wasn't a political statement and those who have spent enough time down there are familiar with this reference. I have been going down there for over 25 years and these people are not hard to find. Infact, they run rampant. They are those who feel that they can do anything and everything that they want with impunity. They somehow have adopted the mentality that laws do not exist down there and they take full advantage of this. Things that include but are not limited to urinating, defecating, and/or vomiting in public as a result of having too much to drink. Public indescency, acting boisterous and loud, starting fights, and heckling Mexicans and Americans alike. Your question seemed a little defensive, but as stated before this is not a political debate. Just a fact of life. If you wish to engage in a political discussion, I would be happy to oblige in the politics forum.

skilldest©
    just a matter of time before this thread went south