I am Bob

Niterider enduro

I've asked this before, but I am finally ready to buy a light.
    Anyone out there have a Niterider Enduro?
    would this be sufficent for night riding around here?
    thanks, Bob

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    I've asked this before, but I am finally ready to buy a light.
    Anyone out there have a Niterider Enduro?
    would this be sufficent for night riding around here?
    thanks, Bob
    I don't have one, but I have used several NR's in the past. The Enduro at $249 was probably the best deal on a HID possible. I have not seen it available at that price for several months now. I have seen it advertised for $299. However, since I am not in the market for a light, my observations have been just casual.

Even at $299, it still may be the best deal out there, but you may want to consider other options. I think the Enduro comes in helmet mount only (or the other way around - bar mount only - I am not sure). The NR HID's are great lights. Some of us don't like the helmet mount because they mount too far forward on the helmet. I am one of those people. Also, I don't like helmet mounts in general because I hate dealing with the wire going into my pack.
    I AM JUST A JERK

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I don't have one, but I have used several NR's in the past. The Enduro at $249 was probably the best deal on a HID possible. I have not seen it available at that price for several months now. I have seen it advertised for $299. However, since I am not in the market for a light, my observations have been just casual.

Even at $299, it still may be the best deal out there, but you may want to consider other options. I think the Enduro comes in helmet mount only (or the other way around - bar mount only - I am not sure). The NR HID's are great lights. Some of us don't like the helmet mount because they mount too far forward on the helmet. I am one of those people. Also, I don't like helmet mounts in general because I hate dealing with the wire going into my pack.

I hate helmet hair and the wire issue as well.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    I hate helmet hair and the wire issue as well.
    Concur. Helmet hair sucks. By the by, were you at the recent 24 hour event? We thought we saw you.
    I AM JUST A JERK

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Concur. Helmet hair sucks. By the by, were you at the recent 24 hour event? We thought we saw you.
    What you thought you saw and what you did see at the recent 24 hour race could be construed as incorrectness or suitably correct depending on they way you look at it. I do know that there was some wind there though for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I didn't notice any wind. Although, the guys across the road may have experienced some.

Large wheels & one gear
    Chongoman....I have an Enduro. As far as being sufficient for night riding, no problem. It is very bright, casts a huge round beam (probably 5-6 ft in diameter) and the battery lasts long.
    NR lights are a bit heavy on the helmet. Some people don't like it, It doesn't bother me much. For the price, The NR Enduro is the best deal out there in my book. I got mine at Adventure when they were relocating to their new shop. I paid $200.00 and also bought a NR Trail rat 2.0 for the handlebars (and for a backup light) and walked out the door paying $250.00 for both. Even buying the Enduro at $299.00 in my book is a good deal for a HID. I say get it. If you are planning on riding at nights no longer than a few hours or so, you should be fine. My neck gets a little sore after a few hours with the light but that hardly ever happens.
    Good luck.
    Jon
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

I am Walt

Good job! Enduro

I switched from a Light & Motion Arc HB mount to an Enduro helmet mount and love it. I don't notice the weight at all, in fact, I think it's comfortable. The battery lasts a long time and the beam is great. I highly recommend it.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    One other light to consider is the Jet Lite Blast. Jet is running a special on it now for $325. I haven't used one (yet), but it seems like all Jet Lites get rave reviews, regardless of model.

http://www.jetlites.com/hid_helmet.html

mtbr member
    I picked up a L&M ARC and have been thrilled with it. It mounts to your helmet or bar, and the charge time is really fast..

Fragile - must be Italian
    Hey Bob -

I really like NiteRider HID lights, but if you're considering using a bar mount, I wouldn't get the NiteRider. The way they mount is very susceptible to damage in a crash. The mount puts the light far forward...ahead of the bar...and the mount is very rigid. If you go down in a crash...even a minor wash-out type crash...the light is toast.

For a bar-mounted light, I would only get a L&M Arc. They mount more on top of the bar and swivel out of harm's way in a crash. Better yet, the mount has a plastic disc made to break away in a crash.

How well do these work? Pretty goddam well IMHO. During our 24-hour race this weekend we had 2 crashes. One of those crashed was mine -- I hit a turn too fast and the front tire washed out. The tire slid out and the bike went down bars first. I watched in horror as the bars + light hit the ground. The light simply pivoted back and was fine sans a few scratches.

The second crash was for worse. One of our female riders went OTB and the bike landed on the bars. The light broke away as it was supposed to. The only bummer is the cord also got sheared off, rendering the light useless. The bulb and head were still fine. The L&M guys at 24HITOP told me to send in the light and they would RMA it and fix the cord free of charge.

In either crash a NiteRider would have been toast.

On the helmet, it's a toss-up between the NR and L&M. The NiteRider does mount forward, so your helmet may want to push down over your eyes. That's what happened when I had a NiteRider on my helmet and it drove me nuts. The L&M sits more "neutral", but the fact that it pivots makes it a pain to keep straight.

Just thought I would share some practical experience with you on this topic...

Thx...Doug

"Yabut"
    I've had my NR HID for 3 years now, crashed many times, and it's still fine. I can see how it might get damaged though. Maybe I've been lucky.

As far as a helmet light goes, I don't like them as my only light. The helmet light makes everything look flat. No contrasting shadows. But when used together with a handlebar light, they are great! But by itself, I find them sucky.

But that headlight will give you loads of light, no problem. And if you don't like where it mounts, you can buy the other type of mount for $25.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

MTB B'dos
    Don't know what the terrain is like around there, but down here in dark gullies and over grown tracks the Enduro is a great light. I paid around $260 from Jenson and I think it's worth every penny. The battery charges in under 3 hours and last for up to 3:45. Nice spotyish beam w/ a nice overflow that lights up stuff at the sides, having a bar mounted wide light would be ideal. I bought mine along w/ the bar mount and use it both ways - it's nicer to have on the helmet on tight stuff as you can "look around" corners etc, but it works great on the HB for road rides and commuting.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Bulb replacement for a NR HID is $90. Yes, I am still chaped over that one. Something to consider.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

I am Bob
    Gracias Amigos, All very helpful. happy riding. Bob

mtbr member

Shop around

There's one on Ebay right now for $250. I picked up my L&M Arc for 230 a couple of years ago on there as well. If you're patient, you can usually get a smoking deal. I'm a cheap ass when it comes to stuff I might not use much, but I like to get good gear. So I shop around quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey, In case you're interested...I just posted a Niterider Evolution in the classifieds. I too was at the 24-hr race. Bought this light system there and used it for 6 hrs. In 'like new' condition--just don't foresee using it much. LMK...

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    There's one on Ebay right now for $250. I picked up my L&M Arc for 230 a couple of years ago on there as well. If you're patient, you can usually get a smoking deal. I'm a cheap ass when it comes to stuff I might not use much, but I like to get good gear. So I shop around quite a bit.
    Thanks. I ebayed it. that's the best deal out there.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Performance used to have the Enduro at 240 but that may have been a clearance. I run an Enduro on the helmet and found that if I tighten the fit mechanism in the helmet it works fine. I have had no neck pain but I ride at night for 60-90 minutes only. I use a trail-rat handlebar mount but I got it for 80 bucks so if it breaks I won't feel too bad.

mtbr member
    I recently got the NR enduro at Performance for $240 and I tried really, really hard not to like it, but at the end of the day, for the money you just cant go wrong. I really wanted the ARC because of the helmet mount but I just found out that NR makes a new helmet mount that puts the light much further back on your helmet. I just ordered one at NR. I saw some of them at the 24 and everyone that had one seemed to like it. Oh yea, my enduro seems to be brighter than any ARC I've seen so far and last time I checked I was getting about 4.5 hours on a battery charge!

labrat

mtbr member

Awesome battery life!

I do tons of late night riding, like 9:30 to midnight. I've never been able to ride long enough to burn up the whole batter, every after 3.5 to 4 hours of riding. Nice bright white light, but $20 bucks extra for bar mount, which I like.
    Just Ride!