Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nightranger at Hawes now?

8K views 105 replies 33 participants last post by  eatdrinkride 
#1 · (Edited)
Haven’t been out to Hawes for a couple weeks and was able to get a quick ride in this morning. WTF is happening out there? Several bypass/reroutes now and some really lame sanitation.

First the wash on Granite Reef has been bypassed. That wash does suck but still. When heading down Disney Land (Saddle) and you take the second entrance to Secret the steep switchback about 30 yards in has been bypassed with a straight fall line route. There is also a Cardiac bypass now.

While I struggle with the bypasses and reroutes at least the original lines are there. What really chaps my ass is the lame a$$ sanitation going on. Rocks are being removed all over the place. Rocks that aren’t even technical or difficult to maneuver over or around. I’d say an intermediate rider could easily maneuver these obstacles, even some better noobs could make it.

The only advantage to removing these rocks, rocks that have been there for as long as I have been riding there, is to make the trail flow easier which got me thinking who would do this? The only logical answer I could come up with (I have no proof) is yet another negative side effect of Strava. Do you think people are smoothing out the trails to gain a few seconds here and there? I sure as hell hope not. Leave the trails alone !!!!

See less See more
#103 ·
The new Matterhorn trail off TS is a hiking trail. You can take your bike but you'll be carrying it almost all the way to the top. I checked it out a couple of months ago. I didn't go all the way up but it's a climb that a friend told me takes you to the top of one of the peaks for a lookout. It heads to the south a short distance from the west end of TS. Happy hiking.

#104 ·
All this complaining about the trail conditions, and yet today I saw seven people on horse beck coming down form Twisted Sister to Bush highway. Might as well have been 20 people with pick axes doing there best to do as much damage as possible. That trail is now F'ed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.