Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    EDR
    I spent 15 minutes today closing a line cut through the desert to avoid a sweeping "S" curve. This was on the very fast section (or the slow-ish climb if going the other way) between Saddle and the 3-way in the center of Hawes. It's clear to me why it's there. Speedsters found it faster to blaze through the desert and hook up with the trail 50 feet later.

By the time I was done it looked like nobody had ever ridden that way. The only clue would be the many cactus legs someone else had strewn all over the place. I cleaned those up some, and left others in place. I've taken alternate lines on National many times so not sure how to feel about all this. Kind of a contradiction but in my defense the alt lines out at Natty are always over rock, not blazed through virgin ground like a freak'n horse cutting a switchback.

Hope it stays this way.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Awesome! I know exactly where you aerial talking about. I will rehab an area this weekend.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Awesome! I know exactly where you aerial talking about. I will rehab an area this weekend.

Every little bit helps.

mtbr member
    Yep! if I WANTED to ride straight thru the corners I may as well stay on the road, keeping things as straight as possible
    I
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I spent 15 minutes today closing a line cut through the desert to avoid a sweeping "S" curve. This was on the very fast section (or the slow-ish climb if going the other way) between Saddle and the 3-way in the center of Hawes. It's clear to me why it's there. Speedsters found it faster to blaze through the desert and hook up with the trail 50 feet later.

Hope it stays this way.
    Thank you!

I'd noticed a line thru a couple corners while riding up that stretch a while back. Was a lot of cactus on the ground at the time, so wondered if the corner cuting was on purpose or if a lesson about keeping one's head up and eyes dow-trail was learned! ;-)

A couple weeks after that, time was short so after Secret heading North, we turned left to head back to that intersection and ride that same stretch "down". Wow...was I surprised! That was damn good fun flicking the bike through all the corners (ORIGINAL ONES OF COURSE)! Had to be careful for oncoming riders, since it seems most ride "up" that section (heck...me too for 99.99% of rides!) Who would want to have that fun taken away with a straight line?!?!?

2013 will mark my 20th year of riding Hawes. I'll have to strongly disagree that the trails were a mess, cut poorly, or that they are harder now. A few select sections have become "permanant" additions/modifications that are for the better. But overall, the trails are a bit easier now. They are wider. They seem to somehow "slip downhill" to get routed away from a couple areas of exposed rock.

But overall, the system remains one of my favorites. Maad summed it up perfectly earlier in this thread. It is a gem. I'd be down for a work party to help keep it that way / return it to what it should be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm down to help out with a Hawes trail day as well. Hawes proper was in bad shape when I was out there and I'm down with putting in some sweat as long as someone who knows what they're doing is calling the shots. I'm a noob and don't want to jack it up for everyone.

How much further ???
    I was out there yesterday and I can say, like Maad hinted at, the recent winter rains have done wonders. The trail is packing in very nice and all of the short cutting that Im aware of has been closed and has remained closed for a week or so. Looks like we are getting some rain tonight/tomorrow. Lets have a trail work day out at Hawes this week. Get out there and ride it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I have noticed some good work out there too. I have not had a chance to move the Mine Climb rock back yet though. Soon!

I think I am night riding Wednesday around 520ish if anyone wants to light up. Stage from mi casa 100 feet from some trail, entering around Hawse/Disneyland. Thinking out to Twisted Sister and back in a big loop. Then have a beer.

I can't think of a big group project at Hawes. All I can think of is to throw some rocks in areas that are erroding into trail, and anything to make wide trail more narrow. Do we rehab the Mine alt line into oblivion? I agree that if a group thing happens we need someone with some experience.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    I have noticed some good work out there too. I have not had a chance to move the Mine Climb rock back yet though. Soon!

I think I am night riding Wednesday around 520ish if anyone wants to light up. Stage from mi casa 100 feet from some trail, entering around Hawse/Disneyland. Thinking out to Twisted Sister and back in a big loop. Then have a beer.

I can't think of a big group project at Hawes. All I can think of is to throw some rocks in areas that are erroding into trail, and anything to make wide trail more narrow. Do we rehab the Mine alt line into oblivion? I agree that if a group thing happens we need someone with some experience.
    Mine alt line? Where are you talking about?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ^^If it's the alt line that skips you out of trudging thru the sandy wash on the way back to intersecting with Ridge...I'm kinda voting to make that one a keeper!

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by BullitTom View Post
    ^^If it's the alt line that skips you out of trudging thru the sandy wash on the way back to intersecting with Ridge...I'm kinda voting to make that one a keeper!
    That trail is Granite. When I think of Mine I think of the intersection with twisted sister down to Granite. Maybe we are all talking about different things.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by BullitTom View Post
    I was thinking the alt "hi" line right before the sandy-ass steep left handed switchback coming down mine on the east end...right before what once called "The Cholla Pit of Death".

parenting for gnarness
    I was thinking the alt "hi" line right before the sandy-ass steep left handed switchback coming down mine on the east end...right before what once called "The Cholla Pit of Death".
    that hi line is awesome and has sustained. maybe its selfishness obscuring my objectivity but I dont see that as a bad line. Open to correction if I am wrong.

and I have never fallen into that pit nyah nyah

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    that hi line is awesome and has sustained. maybe its selfishness obscuring my objectivity but I dont see that as a bad line. Open to correction if I am wrong.

and I have never fallen into that pit nyah nyah
    I don't think it's a bad line. Gives us a choice. The lower line is really washed out and is tough to finesse your way around nowadays.

My other ride is your mom
    In truth....the high line is the original line.....it started coming back from obscurity a few years back after a really nasty monsoon that gouged the exit of the turn....thus making folks prefer toeing the line next to the pit of cholla vs. catching a wheel in the rut and cheese grattering your flesh on the crumbled granite, off camber slope.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    In truth....the high line is the original line.....it started coming back from obscurity a few years back after a really nasty monsoon that gouged the exit of the turn....thus making folks prefer toeing the line next to the pit of cholla vs. catching a wheel in the rut and cheese grattering your flesh on the crumbled granite, off camber slope.
    well then, my conscience is clear. thanks maad.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    It is good that the old line is being restablished.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Correct. That high line is the original. To look down into the "Cholla Pit of Death" to your left as you make that original turn is a whole different perspective than the "easy/safe" inside line!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    That trail is Granite. When I think of Mine I think of the intersection with twisted sister down to Granite. Maybe we are all talking about different things.
    We're probably talking about the same thing. I just can't commit all the "new" names of the trails to memory!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

New "Matterhorn" trail off Twister Sister??

Hawes trail system is riding GREAT after the slow, steady rains!! Amazing how much more fun it is when you have some traction : ) One question though, does anyone know what's up with the "Matterhorn" trail that runs up the right side of the mountain near the start of Twisted Sister??? There's a nice wooden sign staked into the ground as if it was legally built and thought out but I don't think there's any organized trail building going on in the area. The trail is fairly faint and looks to run straight up the mountainside. Seems like it could be a downhill trail similar to the stuff over by the pit but that would be a bad spot for it since it literally drops right into TS. Anyway, if anyone knows what the deal is, let me know. Thanks!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cpetrocelli View Post
    One question though, does anyone know what's up with the "Matterhorn" trail that runs up the right side of the mountain near the start of Twisted Sister??? There's a nice wooden sign staked into the ground as if it was legally built and thought out but I don't think there's any organized trail building going on in the area. The trail is fairly faint and looks to run straight up the mountainside. Seems like it could be a downhill trail similar to the stuff over by the pit but that would be a bad spot for it since it literally drops right into TS. Anyway, if anyone knows what the deal is, let me know. Thanks!

Mine Trail?

mtbr member
    Mine Trail?

Your other right EDR.

I think he's talking about the trail Maad was talking about in another thread a few weeks ago. I think this might be the same trail I've seen in satellite imagery. It seems to run up the ridge and drop to the south. If you look closely at satellite imagery, you can even see two sets of faint switchbacks which confirm to me the path is human made and not a water runoff. It goes on quite a ways until it disappears in the satellite view. I'm thinking of exploring it someday and see where it leads (if it even connects back to any system trails).

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by cpetrocelli View Post
    Hawes trail system is riding GREAT after the slow, steady rains!! Amazing how much more fun it is when you have some traction : ) One question though, does anyone know what's up with the "Matterhorn" trail that runs up the right side of the mountain near the start of Twisted Sister??? There's a nice wooden sign staked into the ground as if it was legally built and thought out but I don't think there's any organized trail building going on in the area. The trail is fairly faint and looks to run straight up the mountainside. Seems like it could be a downhill trail similar to the stuff over by the pit but that would be a bad spot for it since it literally drops right into TS. Anyway, if anyone knows what the deal is, let me know. Thanks!
    I HAB this many many years ago and ended up in the wash that is on secret..Ran into a goat and remains of an old pack trail. Don't know if someone is working on it but I doubt it would ever be climbable there are some rough tight spots going up
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^correct...it's the scar I was talking about earlier....

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Your other right EDR.

).
    I've never noticed it, but it did take me a year to notice the 'secret' entrance as well. And I only found that cause I thought it looked like a good place to piss.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast