Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Cholla, Thanks, um I think? I think Maad brings a cool perspective to this site and the AZ MTB community. Anyone who creates a geo riddle to find Tequilla gets

TD, No clue how to get a pdf. I got it from a local moto site, and they got it from a site called ktmtalk.com. It looks to be from the CO area I am guessing. It would be easy to create, except for the cool gear skull and cross implements logo.
    I believe that sign is from the Fruita/Grand Junction area. They've had their own issues with sanitizers modifying trails to match their riding ability.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I see no issue with trimming. Actually think its necessary. If a shrub goes untrimmed it will eventually encroach on the trail pushing it further and further out. I have trimmed the fence line trail a few times myself. Cant imagine any trail user likes ducking trees.
    Douger:

I definitely think trimming trails to about 24" from the center line is no big deal. If you have a trail with exposure and you want riders off the outside edge to preserve the tread I could go for a shorter length form the outside edge, like maybe 20" from the center line and even greater length on the inside line.

dirt visionary
    I have found that people will always modify stuff to suit their needs no matter how much work was put in to make trails / features. I gave up in NRA some time back as it was just pointless to maintain or add stuff because others would always change things to suit their needs.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

My other ride is your mom
    Well shucks....thx....but I think Cholla is refering to a sign I've intermittently put up in laminated form over the past few years when things like this have happened.
    Attached Images Attached Images

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Well shucks....thx....but I think Cholla is refering to a sign I've intermittently put up in laminated form over the past few years when things like this have happened.
    no....I was referring to the hissy fit about it. truly that was epic!

Ohh...you mean the boulder....that was just plain hard-headedness

parenting for gnarness
    Ohh...you mean the boulder....that was just plain hard-headedness
    it still makes me vijayjay bristle!

Open letter to the person simplifying Hawes - Mtbr Forums

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I like my sign of ridicule better than Maad's call the Ranger. If only he put that one up years ago, we would of had no problems all this time ...

Just another half mile...
    To play devilís advocate, who said that the trails were DESIGNED to be challenging? Did you build the trails to be challenging? You or anyone else have no right to put up signs like this, only the land manager.

Back in the 90ís when the trails were being developed; they were not as challenging as they are now. Most of the Hawes trails are not very well laid out andn have a lot of fall line sections. Over the years, use and erosion have taken a toll, and have created a rutted out mess. Take the trails how they are, and they will morph over time.

Just another half mile...
    You are correct, this sign is posted at the top of the Free Lunch trail in Grand Junction. Free lunch is a unique, specically design experts-only ďFreerideĒ trail recently constructed in the popular Lunch loops area. The Hawes trails were not specifically designed to be challenging, poor design and weather created a rutted out mess out there.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I believe that sign is from the Fruita/Grand Junction area. They've had their own issues with sanitizers modifying trails to match their riding ability.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of making a sign similar to Maad's sign but I agree with Epicrider, they were designed to be like this. Instead of using that wording, it would make more sense to state why modifying the trails is bad and what it will lead to (i.e. severe erosion, loss of access, etc.).

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I was thinking of making a sign similar to Maad's sign but I agree with Epicrider, they were designed to be like this. Instead of using that wording, it would make more sense to state why modifying the trails is bad and what it will lead to (i.e. severe erosion, loss of access, etc.).
    less is more, something is better than nothing.

'DONT MODIFY THE TRAIL, A$$HAT!' works for me

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

How about?

"If we catch you, we'll split your nuts off the side of your face."
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    To play devilís advocate, who said that the trails were DESIGNED to be challenging? Did you build the trails to be challenging? You or anyone else have no right to put up signs like this, only the land manager.

Back in the 90ís when the trails were being developed; they were not as challenging as they are now. Most of the Hawes trails are not very well laid out andn have a lot of fall line sections. Over the years, use and erosion have taken a toll, and have created a rutted out mess. Take the trails how they are, and they will morph over time.
    Fair enough...but I think you miss my intent. I don't think many here would consider Hawes to be much of a challenge...but perhaps the person who is doing this, thinks they are. The sign is meant to convey to the person that there is intent beyond their own little world.

Furthermore, I don't pretend to be the land manager....I simply provide the information for the land manager on the sign.

Now...if you want to get into my kickers about putting up a sign that essentially says don't modify the trail and if you have questions...here is the land managers contact info....then tell me now.....surely you're not taking the devils advocate on that point????

I took initiative to correct something and I stand by my decision. If it did any good or not, I don't know and that's open for debate. But as to any ill effects from what I did, I challenge you to state it.

And as to your statement calling Hawes a rutted mess....I disagree. I think Hawes has some of the best flow of trails in the PHX area. Sure, after major storms it gets a bit dicey, but it always comes back.

Ridin bikes is fun
    The work day put together by chollaball over 4 years ago on mudflaps did a lot of good and the design held together for about 3 years....not bad considering it even weathered the snowpacalypse a few seasons back...
    I just noticed the cholla cactus that you guys placed half way up mud flaps is still there. Also there has been a lot of erosion in the rocky area about half way up the lower section.
    So when a bowling ball sized rock rolls on to a previously smoth section of trail, what's proper, move it or leave it?
    Better than most, not as good as some.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav View Post
    I just noticed the cholla cactus that you guys placed half way up mud flaps is still there. Also there has been a lot of erosion in the rocky area about half way up the lower section.
    So when a bowling ball sized rock rolls on to a previously smoth section of trail, what's proper, move it or leave it?
    move it.
    i'm sure others have different opinions, but generally speaking there is a difference between maintenance and sanitation. Trails need love, but keeping the feel of the trail and not changing the level of difficulty is the key.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Trails need love, but keeping the feel of the trail and not changing the level of difficulty is the key.

Someone tell Faildoc that.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Valid point Epic. This whole issue sure is gray. Like I said before, I kind of like some of the new alt lines. I am also a big fan of Secret, a Great alt line. At the same time, I don't like stupid.

I still support a direct sign that let's folks know what is not appreciated by the community, instead of the land manager. I think the community is a bigger deterrent in this case. What do I know though.

Side note, I rode Hawes yesterday, and the trails were fun. A little issue here or there is not going to stop that.

You know what....I'm going to categorically disagree with Epicrider here that Hawes is not laid out well....there are a few spots that are less than desirable.....but on the whole....that system has weathered a lot since I started riding and the OVERALL character has not changed.....one.....bit.....and for your time and money....it has it all. I challenge anyone to find a one hour section of trail in the PHX area that gives you a balance of climbs and descents, over a thirteen-hundred vert and flow. I can find 2 out of 3 in other places.....Natty is all climb...then descent (and that's a really rad descent....but it takes you 40 minutes just to climb) The McDowells can give you an hour loop that is all CrapAssMiniChunk Climb (credit goes to cholloball for the term) and Descent to give you the same vert....but you have to make your own flow up. Hawes gives you all three.....it's not an awesome climb....and it's not an awesome descent....but overall, it's pretty groovy.

The passing seasons bring challenges.....the fall brings the cessation of the summer rains....rains which bless us with dynamic changes in wash crossings and erosion problems....but also give us buff bits of singletrack that allows us to lean our bikes over SUPER far......

The entrance into winter brings, what I feel, the worst riding conditions possible...and is what precipitated this thread. This time is when the damage done by the summer monsoons and their tempestuous nature, lingers. No rain falls.....and the gully's just erode as the riders navigate them.....but hope is on the horizon.

The winter rains bring a calmer type of precipitation that smooths those rough gully's back into the previous paths..... gully's slowly erode off the debris that was catastrophically deposited during the last of the monsoons and provide a nice injection of moisture to the ground that lets us all rip it at mach chicken once again.

Then spring shows up....golden blooms of California Poppies.....green everywhere....it makes Hawes look even tighter....the Singletrack truly looks like singletrack again because the only path through the verdant horizon is the one cut by the optimal path through the decomposed granite alluvial fans that dominate Hawes.....

But for every great season, there is a shoulder.....and once again we find ourselves without moisture....but this is the desert and we deal with it. However, given that the span of time between the Spring and the Summer rains is not preceded by the catastrophic storms of the Monsoon.....the old gal weathers it gracefully. It gets a bit washed out.....but not nearly as bad as the span of time between summer and the winter rains.

And then it all happens...all over again....this has happened once before, and it'll happen once again.

Like I said in previous posts....I rode this system 4-6 days a week for 4 plus years until I had to move away.......it's not that I thought Hawes was the best thing since sliced bread....but given an hour to ride.....it's about as good as it gets and will always draw blood unless you stay on top of it..... isn't the draw of blood from our corpus that gives us the sense of accomplishment after a ride when in fact, it never happened? Is it not the fear of pursuit and exhilaration at getting away with something that seems beyond our own bodies to make us fly, on air and two wheels....to the point of hurt, financial ruin and death in some cases?

I'll close this out by saying.....if you're not excited by Hawes....you're doing it wrong.......translation:

stop shuttling hawes with a double crown bike in armor and ride naked......Hawes gets plenty exciting then.

stop modifying lines....because you're choosing acquiescence over challenge....and that in of itself....is choosing death rather than growth.

stop b!tching about it all.......and this is something this author needs to listen to, most of all..... because b!tching about it all leaves one less time to live it all.......and living is what this deal is all about.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 12-11-2012 at 06:26 PM.

EDR
    but given an hour to ride.....it's about as good as it gets
    I completely agree with the above. Hawes is not a 'destination' ride in my book...I'd never suggest someone drive from Tucson to come ride it but if you are fortunate enough to live nearby and need to burn 1 or 1.5 hours it is fantastic. Just within the the system proper you can ride Fenceline, up Cardiac, down DL to Secret, over to and up and down MIne and back to the canal or Las Sendas Fenceline if you wish.

It'll test your lungs and get you some speed if you want, all the while providing amazing scenery and a feeling of being out in the open desert when in reality you are just minutes from a Walgreens.

Love this place and feel fortunate to have it so close.

As far as change goes, I've been riding out there since '03 and over-all it's the same trail system. I cut my mtb teeth out there on my Trek 4900 and I remember (fondly) walking a few spots. I learned a lot and 10 years later I still ride out there a few times month.

mtbr member
    I have trimmed the fence line trail overgrowth several times. I do it because of the safety factor. blind corners and having to duck tree limbs, is asking for a head on collision. also, the one to two inch branches in spots at times can become spears or bludgeons to the day dreaming dirt rider. I ride through, and anything that touches me get's whacked off. but only enough to clear riders. Any one who passes while i'm trimming, always thanks me and gives me high fives, knuckle-bumps etc.but I never touch the trail itself. I have been riding hawes for sixteen years. I like the system and I KNOW when some one is messing with it. when people
    try to dumb it down, I KEEP riding the original line if possible. like I said in my previous post; RIDE THE MOUNTAIN! as is, not what you may think it should be.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Someone tell Faildoc that.
    so insightful and relevant to this thread...thanks Phil!

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    move it.
    i'm sure others have different opinions, but generally speaking there is a difference between maintenance and sanitation. Trails need love, but keeping the feel of the trail and not changing the level of difficulty is the key.
    I agree, and thats is what I do.

nobody
    ....rains which bless us with dynamic changes in wash crossings and erosion problems....but also give us buff bits of singletrack that allows us to lean our bikes over SUPER far......
    Amen! Glad you mentioned this.

One of my favorite times to ride Hawes is after a nice rain when the trail is cool and tacky and my tires can really hook up.

You should have x-posted this in Passion...it actually made me consider sneaking out the back stairwell at work and heading out there for a ride. Boss is back from lunch now though so it will have to be another day....
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

Ridin bikes is fun
    On a side note, how do you guys feel about trimming. I have trimmed a few things out there once in the last year or so. I kept hitting certain inside branches. The plants are growing and it makes sense to keep them under control, but do it sparingly.
    Trimming is good, keep it up.
    Also, why are we throwing roadies under the bus now?
    Because thats what "some" mountain bikers do. Don't worry, many of us do both. in fact, many of the best riders I know go both ways. On the bike, that is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast