Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mesa menace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57

    Night riding advice

    I have been riding hawes and somo pretty regularly during the day, but its getting so dang hot I am considering buying a light and doing some night riding, but I know nothing about lights or what set up to go with, any advice will help!
    I have come to the realization I am that guy i used to make fun of!

  2. #2
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,026
    he he .... i know where this one is going.

  3. #3
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,723
    start in the lighting forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mesa menace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57
    I figured there was a forum on it but didnt know where to start, thanks
    I have come to the realization I am that guy i used to make fun of!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    165
    Go on a full moon with clear sky. Leave the light at home.

  6. #6
    Pablo Escobar
    Reputation: Azufa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    84
    I just bought a Magicshine 900 from GEOMAN's website a few days ago and am impressed.
    It was at my door in about 26 hours from the time I clicked "accept" on paypal at 2:15 PM until it arrived the next day at almost 4PM via UPS ground.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13
    magic shine !!! $$cheap,superbright,and best bang for the buck... I'm happy with mine purchased it via geomans web site,much better than settling for less and not being able to see out there and/or overpaying for the wazoo 400 set uo!! see yah out there ...literally!

  8. #8
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,026
    told ya

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13
    yep I see the light now!!!

  10. #10
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,416
    or you can buy my lighting rig.......for reals.....PM me....

  11. #11
    JohnniO
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    he he .... i know where this one is going.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    told ya
    Who'd a thunk it ? Lights for bikes. Wow

    And gee whiz, just where would I be able to purchase my Magicshine 900 with the following, I'm new to night riding too ?


    •Brand: Magicshine
    •Model: P7 (MJ-808)

    •Emitter Brand/Type: Seoul Semiconductors SSC
    •Emitter BIN: P7-C-SXO
    •Color BIN: White
    •Total Emitters: 1
    •Power Cord Length: Approximately 12" on lighthead plus 1 meter extension (included)

    •Battery Configurations: Powered by a separate rechargeable battery pack (4 x 18650 lithium batteries inside)
    •Voltage Input: 8.4V max
    •Switch Type: Click Switch
    •Switch Location: Tailcap
    •Modes: 5

    •Lighting Modes: High Mode@900 lumens > Mid Mode@500 lumens > Low Mode@200 lumens > Fast Blink > SOS Mode
    •Circuitry: Digital Regulated 2400mA Current Output
    •Brightness: 900 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated)
    •Runtime: 3 hours on High Mode (manufacturer rated)
    •Lens: Coated Glass Lens
    •Reflector: Light Orange Peel Reflector
    •Mount: Integrated bar mount. ORDER YOUR HELMET MOUNT HERE - $9.99 (CLICK HERE)

    •Accessories Included: 100V~240V AC charger (US plug)

    •Warranty: Manufacturer - 90 days from purchase

    •Origin: China

    Is it even possible ?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,967

    Magicshine!! Bang for buck winner!!

    I got the $209 package from Geoman. Ordered it on a Wednesday night and had it Friday.

    Works like a charm so far. I really like the addition of a bar mount, as I had only used helmet mounted HID lights before. Now, when I turn my head, I do not lose my vision to the front of the bike, which can be disorientating. It also adds a lot of contrast to the terrain.

    I use the helmet on High or Medium, and just the floods on the bar, except for fast downhills where I put everything on high. Run times are good and the light output is excellent. Very wide beam pattern with no hot spots. Can't go wrong for the price.

    There is good reason that "what light?" discussions turn into "Magicshine" forums. Simply can't beat the price for light output, and Geoman seems to do well in his customer service.

  13. #13
    JohnniO
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    I got the $209 package from Geoman. Ordered it on a Wednesday night and had it Friday.

    Works like a charm so far. I really like the addition of a bar mount, as I had only used helmet mounted HID lights before. Now, when I turn my head, I do not lose my vision to the front of the bike, which can be disorientating. It also adds a lot of contrast to the terrain.

    I use the helmet on High or Medium, and just the floods on the bar, except for fast downhills where I put everything on high. Run times are good and the light output is excellent. Very wide beam pattern with no hot spots. Can't go wrong for the price.

    There is good reason that "what light?" discussions turn into "Magicshine" forums. Simply can't beat the price for light output, and Geoman seems to do well in his customer service.
    It's just interesting that the users who make the initial inquiry have like 5 random posts and the ask their question and then they never post again. And then the suggestion of magic shine is seconded by another poster that has zero posts. This user then never posts again.

    If you search all of mtbr this pattern is repeated at nauseum.
    It the concept is over your head then you will never get it any way.

    I know people that have the lights and like them very much but their bogus marketing by not paying for advertising is just low class. I'm smart enought to spot it. Most people aren't.

    They are copying Global Bikes recipe of guerilla marketing which is well documented on MTBR.

  14. #14
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,026
    Magicshine baiting

  15. #15
    JohnniO
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Magicshine baiting
    hey lets not make this about race

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    It's just interesting that the users who make the initial inquiry have like 5 random posts and the ask their question and then they never post again. And then the suggestion of magic shine is seconded by another poster that has zero posts. This user then never posts again.

    If you search all of mtbr this pattern is repeated at nauseum.
    It the concept is over your head then you will never get it any way.

    I know people that have the lights and like them very much but their bogus marketing by not paying for advertising is just low class. I'm smart enought to spot it. Most people aren't.

    They are copying Global Bikes recipe of guerilla marketing which is well documented on MTBR.
    You're f$#king smoking crack!!

    I've got 1,419 posts!!

    See where you can click on "view public profile"?

    I don't have any affiliation with Geoman, or with Magicshine. I am just a local Tucson trail rider who happened to buy a set of Magicshines after reading many posts about them, including posts about how they had been changed and improved over time, and how Geoman offered good customer service.

    I bought them, and they work well for a good price. If you can't handle that, piss off.

    Maybe you are the one that has some affiliation with light manufacturers, and don't like all these people buying cheap lights that work well?

  17. #17
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,026
    You mean 1,420 post

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    You mean 1,420 post
    But who's counting?

    Obviously not JohnniO. Must have got tricky when he got past the first hand.

  19. #19
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,026
    I don't think he was referring to your post anyways.



    That 1400 light looks a little bulky. Is it ?

    Anyone running a dual 900 set up .. one on bars and one on helmet ?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13
    I'm perhaps the low post individual?? I don't do the whole chat thing other than observing the forums to gain info on where the best place to ride....i bought a light and motion from chainlove that broke after 5 uses...I did notice at the mcdowell night ride 70 - 80 night riders and several magicshines to which everyone I asked said they are fn china made ,hot.more cheaply made than some of the 400 - 600 set ups but great for the $$ . Since I was sport'n some burners I use backpacking it worked out to be a great solution. No conspiracy ,the only gorilla involved was the tape I used to secure the burners! Hope the mastermind marketing campaign goes well please pm me so I can receive any commission due

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I don't think he was referring to your post anyways.



    That 1400 light looks a little bulky. Is it ?

    Anyone running a dual 900 set up .. one on bars and one on helmet ?
    Then he should not have put my post in quotes while making that absurd statement IMO.

    Here is a picture of the 1400. It measures 3.5 inches across the outside of the 2 outside lights. The 2 flood lamps are 3/4 inch diameter and the center light is 1 5/8 inch diameter. It stands 2 inches above the bar at the high point.

  22. #22
    aka Diesel
    Reputation: CoyoteKis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    You're f$#king smoking crack!!

    I've got 1,419 posts!!

    See where you can click on "view public profile"?

    I don't have any affiliation with Geoman, or with Magicshine. I am just a local Tucson trail rider who happened to buy a set of Magicshines after reading many posts about them, including posts about how they had been changed and improved over time, and how Geoman offered good customer service.

    I bought them, and they work well for a good price. If you can't handle that, piss off.

    Maybe you are the one that has some affiliation with light manufacturers, and don't like all these people buying cheap lights that work well?

    +1.
    Blind as eff at night, to the point that in the last 6 months I've avoided night riding, due to the lack of funds to buy the 'good' lights.

    Last week happenstance introduced Magicshine from hype to reality, and now I GET what everyone is talking about. I almost feel GUILTY paying for what seems such an under-priced product, but hey now, imagine that; the consumer winning for once.

    Additionally, good luck trying to find comparable customer service. This is a company with representatives that actually stand by their products, accommodate personal preference, and let the product sell itself, which is almost alarmingly refreshing.

    Not that I'm a fan.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

  23. #23
    JohnniO
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    You're f$#king smoking crack!!

    I've got 1,419 posts!!

    See where you can click on "view public profile"?

    I don't have any affiliation with Geoman, or with Magicshine. I am just a local Tucson trail rider who happened to buy a set of Magicshines after reading many posts about them, including posts about how they had been changed and improved over time, and how Geoman offered good customer service.

    I bought them, and they work well for a good price. If you can't handle that, piss off.

    Maybe you are the one that has some affiliation with light manufacturers, and don't like all these people buying cheap lights that work well?
    It's amazing that you amassed so many posts without having the abilty to read. Having that many posts makes you the schill , not the puppet.



    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    +1.
    Blind as eff at night, to the point that in the last 6 months I've avoided night riding, due to the lack of funds to buy the 'good' lights.

    Last week happenstance introduced Magicshine from hype to reality, and now I GET what everyone is talking about. I almost feel GUILTY paying for what seems such an under-priced product, but hey now, imagine that; the consumer winning for once.

    Additionally, good luck trying to find comparable customer service. This is a company with representatives that actually stand by their products, accommodate personal preference, and let the product sell itself, which is almost alarmingly refreshing.

    Not that I'm a fan.
    There is nothing in my post putting down the lights quality which you are defending. On the contrary, I mentioned having friends that use them and like them.

  24. #24
    aka Diesel
    Reputation: CoyoteKis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    There is nothing in my post putting down the lights quality which you are defending. On the contrary, I mentioned having friends that use them and like them.
    Totally understood.

    I was simply padding in, Happy Puppy Syndrome in full swing, to throw in my two cents regarding the lights, alleged advertising tactics aside. I'm opportunistic that way. I got nuthin', otherwise. Just saw a chance to deliver a big, sloppy lick Magicshine's way.

    Peace.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

  25. #25
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,954
    Been running that same emitter in a flashlight, long before the Magic Shine became available for $77 shipped from Deal Extreme in China.

    Has 3 modes instead of 5 to paddle through, great if you night race and want to turn your light off on your helmet before blinding people in the pit area.

    I bought mine a year ago. No big thing.

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

    Want the Big Kahuna, direct from China, save a few bucks, if you have a few weeks to wait for shipping? $119

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36018

    All of this was available a year ago in the "Lights" section, if folks would take the initiative to look or use the Search Function.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •