mtbr member
    May 2009

Newbie...kind of...to AZ

Hey guys, I posted here about 10 months ago introducing myself and looking for riders in the Phoenix area (I'm from Gilbert). With my move from Chicago, I kind of put my mountainbike on the side and focused on other things...you know, my job, buying a house, getting a puppy, etc...Things have really calmed down for me and I'm itching to get back out there. I have an almost brand new Trek 6000 that I purchased before I moved and I really want to get back on her and have some fun!

I'd like to check out the rides around me, but don't really know where to go. I don't have any lights and prefer to ride during the day...well for now morning until it gets cooler out. I have every Sunday off, and every other Saturday. The weeks I work Saturdays I have a day off during the week too. I'm sure I'll need to check out some new gear but for now I have the basics (Camelbak, extra tube, gloves, helmet, spoke tool, allen wrenches, glasses, etc) and just want to check out what AZ has to offer. I'll probably need a newbie ride at first but I pick up extremely fast and should have no problem keeping up after the first ride or two.

What's the best way to start?

DJ

mtbr member
    Closest trails to you are probably Hawes and South Mountain. Check out the visiters thread for info and maps. If you have a time set that you will be riding post up your plans and see who shows up. Both Hawes and Desert Classic at SoMo are good places to get a taste of the desert trails, rocks, crtitters etc. Another good beginner area is McDowell Mtn Park, north of Fountain Hills. Pemberton is a real mellow ride and the comp loops are used for local XC racing. There are trail maps as you enter the park, difficult to get lost.

You should definitly invest in a light system, night riding is a whole new experience. Next organized night ride is Friday 8/27 at McDowell Mtn Park comp loops. Last night ride there were 145 riders, great way to meet some of the locals.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    145 turn out, dang. I finally need to invest in lights as well!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This is a pretty good resource. Gives you good rundowns of the trails, what's techy, what's not.....good maps.....good place to start.

mtbr member
    If you're in Gilbert, you can also give the Santans a try. A lot of people don't really give it a chance but it's a good starting point for desert riding. I typically hit up Santan regularly since I live close to it but my favorite spot is Hawes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    If you're in Gilbert, you can also give the Santans a try. A lot of people don't really give it a chance but it's a good starting point for desert riding. I typically hit up Santan regularly since I live close to it but my favorite spot is Hawes.
    Where's the Santans? I haven't heard of them yet. I think you messaged me when I first moved here. Unfortunately, I kinda got sidetracked and put my bike away for a bit.

JohnniO
    I'm from the Chicago area and live in Gilbert. Quite a few of us around .

Longhairmike , when are you moving out here ?

What kind of riding do you do ? XC for me. If your into the gnar stuff there's plenty of folks around to show you that stuff too.
    I ride mostly at South Mountain. Seems to be the easiest to get too and I work by it.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    dude im still looking at houses, trying to finalize location.
    We have to move our entire online store and 3 bunny cages.

need:
    -proximity to post office
    -proximity to kinkos/fedex
    -absolute minimum 3500 square feet (lots of inventory)

current odds:
    60% gilbert,, somewhere along higley or just inside the 202 loop near williams field & val vista
    30% queen creek somewhere near ellsworth & ocotillo
    10% east mesa if the right new subdivision pops up. I just saw that Khov homes is planning one on Power rd just south of brown. that would be wicked proximity to hawes.

i havnt ridden for crap this summer except for some exploring illegal singletrack around busse woods... goddamn i need to hire an employee...

Click for Elk Grove Village, Illinois Forecast

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike

i havnt ridden for crap this summer except for some exploring illegal singletrack around busse woods... goddamn i need to hire an employee...

Click for Elk Grove Village, Illinois Forecast
    Good luck. Lots of lazy people in Phoenix. I don't know what the big deal was with the illegals as everyone is still out of work

mtbr member
    I'm in Gilbert (Queen Creek and Greenfield) and often ride early in the mornings (right now it's about 5:30 am wheels on the trail). I have room for an extra bike and can show you some good spots. I mostly ride Hawes, Desert Classic (at South Mountain) and McDowell Mountain Park. I've ridden some at San Tan but I seem to loose interest pretty quickly there since those trails are really easy (I'm planning on riding there some more with my wife once she gets her bike. It's a good place to learn to ride but if you know how to ride it's not a ton of fun.)

PM if you want to hook up for a ride... although this week/weekend is bad for me since I'm going to be playing Mr. Mom while my wife goes out of town.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    I'm from the Chicago area and live in Gilbert. Quite a few of us around .

Longhairmike , when are you moving out here ?

What kind of riding do you do ? XC for me. If your into the gnar stuff there's plenty of folks around to show you that stuff too.
    I ride mostly at South Mountain. Seems to be the easiest to get too and I work by it.
    So far I've really only done singletrack in Illinois. I have a hardtail so I can't really do any crazy jumps or anything. I'd like to upgrade though.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    I'm in Gilbert (Queen Creek and Greenfield) and often ride early in the mornings (right now it's about 5:30 am wheels on the trail). I have room for an extra bike and can show you some good spots. I mostly ride Hawes, Desert Classic (at South Mountain) and McDowell Mountain Park. I've ridden some at San Tan but I seem to loose interest pretty quickly there since those trails are really easy (I'm planning on riding there some more with my wife once she gets her bike. It's a good place to learn to ride but if you know how to ride it's not a ton of fun.)

PM if you want to hook up for a ride... although this week/weekend is bad for me since I'm going to be playing Mr. Mom while my wife goes out of town.
    I'm good to go whenever. Next week I have Saturday and Sunday off so I'll PM you and check something out. I'm at Recker and Ray