mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Newb to Sedona, need someone to ride with 24th-28th

looking for someone to ride with on the 24th-28th.
    Coming down from Snowy Colorado for a few day's with my family, staying at the RedAgaveResort.

Expert Race Class Rider.

Thank you,
    Rick
    " I Love My Bike "

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'd show ya around but that Expert Race Class thing scare me, you probably wouldn't like riding with me, I'm slow. PM Trail Doc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    any speed is good for me,
    " I Love My Bike "

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Your handle is Ride to Suffer, nope, I'm too slow. Try sending a pm to Zul or Chalkpaw. These guys love to suffer, they ride huge epics I'm not worthy of. Most of the really good riding is of the all mountain trail variety, pretty tech and slowish compared to a lot of Colorado high country riding. Most Sedona regulars are on 5+ inch travel bikes. I'm on a 7 inch 43 lb. pig and I like steeps and drops, probably not what your after. The techy XC riding now in Sedona is VERY good, some amazing builders have been busy here creating unbelievable trail artistry. Good luck and have fun.

banned
    R2S:

Your very first ride is out your front door. Not only will this be your first ride, but it has the potential of being one of the best rides your have ever done guaranteed. It may also be your worst ride if you are a woose..

When you get to your room (at the Aguave) and are ready to ride jump on your bike and ride to the back gate which shouldn't be more than 50 yards from your door. As you ride through the gate look toward your eleven o'clock position. Ride to the base of the cliff band which could take 3 or 4 routes to get to the upper trail. The trail is called Made in the Shade and it heads north at the base of the Cliff Band.

Follow the trail to it's high point and start the twisty descent for about 1/2 mile. You will be riding in an easterly direction through 3 to 4 switchbacks. Look to your left for an intersecting trail, which is Slim Shady. If you seem to be riding south (back to the Aguave) you have gone to far so turn back.

Ride Slim Shady until you can see a parking lot on the east side of Hwy 179 at the north end of a rock that looks like a bell that is Bell Rock. You will know you are at the right spot if there is a rather big slickrock area to your right.

At this point (if you are enjoying the ride) ride out on the slickrock and get off your bike. Get down on your knees and pray to God that you are one of the lucky ones. You are about to be given the key to the candy store.

Get back on your bike and start riding north on Slim Shady. Look to your left for a top secret trail that might have foot prints on it. If you ride you bike to a high point on Slim Shady and start droping down you have gone to far. Turn around and look for the secret trail on your right.

OK you have been given the keys to the store so don't screw up. If you find your way you will hook up with the Baldwin trail otherwise you will be doing a really cool out and back.

Let us know what happened.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ill take ya riding! I'm not the fastest, most skilled, or best informed... but I live close to where your staying and I love to ride. What time would you be good to go on Wednesday? I'll be going for a ride for sure. Take care.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The Prescott Cycling Club is going to ride from Bashas in West Sedona at 1030 on the 27th. They'll probably have an extremely wide variety of riders, as usual, although they don't really wait for stragglers. It would probably be a good way to ride a few of the trails. Just hope that they actually leave from the planned meeting spot this week! I'll probably be skipping this ride and riding with latedropbob in Sedona.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    awesome.....rancidmeat1. Wednesday afternoon would be great !!! this will be my first day there, I can get the fam settled in a hit the trail.

talk later.
    thx.
    " I Love My Bike "

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Alright Dude......Right off the bat I want to say--->you rock !! Off the map, kick ass trail. 2 1/2 hours with a bit of searching.

Right out the back door, I headed up and took trails to the left and ended up on a super sick and fun ridge trail (made in the shade) dropped down back onto slim shady to your slick rock stop and pray directions, Grabbed the the key from the gatekeeper and headed up the hidden wash trail.....super sick and fun trail along the rock ridge, what an awesome trail, dropped down in the saddle of South Cathedral rock, took me onto a real sketchy trail around the back side that came to an end point, came back around the front side and came to another end point, getting a little frustrated (not) started back tracking and found a trail on the right that was just kick ass down to the baldwin loop, rode alot of that steep radical stuff with a hiker audience..(they were asking a bunch of questions about the trail)...got on the Baldwin loop to HT trail to Bell Rock trail return.......

OH MY GOD <------best trial I have ever ridden, I have ridden everywhere !!!

Thinking thursday......Hangover or Chuck wagon.
    Do you all have a preference between the 2

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    R2S:

Your very first ride is out your front door. Not only will this be your first ride, but it has the potential of being one of the best rides your have ever done guaranteed. It may also be your worst ride if you are a woose..

When you get to your room (at the Aguave) and are ready to ride jump on your bike and ride to the back gate which shouldn't be more than 50 yards from your door. As you ride through the gate look toward your eleven o'clock position. Ride to the base of the cliff band which could take 3 or 4 routes to get to the upper trail. The trail is called Made in the Shade and it heads north at the base of the Cliff Band.

Follow the trail to it's high point and start the twisty descent for about 1/2 mile. You will be riding in an easterly direction through 3 to 4 switchbacks. Look to your left for an intersecting trail, which is Slim Shady. If you seem to be riding south (back to the Aguave) you have gone to far so turn back.

Ride Slim Shady until you can see a parking lot on the east side of Hwy 179 at the north end of a rock that looks like a bell that is Bell Rock. You will know you are at the right spot if there is a rather big slickrock area to your right.

At this point (if you are enjoying the ride) ride out on the slickrock and get off your bike. Get down on your knees and pray to God that you are one of the lucky ones. You are about to be given the key to the candy store.

Get back on your bike and start riding north on Slim Shady. Look to your left for a top secret trail that might have foot prints on it. If you ride you bike to a high point on Slim Shady and start droping down you have gone to far. Turn around and look for the secret trail on your right.

OK you have been given the keys to the store so don't screw up. If you find your way you will hook up with the Baldwin trail otherwise you will be doing a really cool out and back.

Let us know what happened.
    " I Love My Bike "

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sounds like you had a great ride! It's certainly my favorite. I'm riding the hogs tomorrow and maybe hangover. I'm leaving at 9 from bike and bean if your interested. Take care

mtbr member
    Go to bike and bean and ask how to get in touch with scott kellar. he can meet all of your needs.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Friday ride at the Bean.

Bike and Bean Friday ride 1430 hours. Usually a good mix of riders. Route is undetermined. Could be in Sedona or the Village. 284-0210.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    wish I could have driven my race/expedition rig::....looks like some good wheeling here as well:....I have full specs on the build if anyone is into yota's.

" I Love My Bike "

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride2Suffer
    wish I could have driven my race/expedition rig::....looks like some good wheeling here as well:....I have full specs on the build if anyone is into yota's.

Ride:

PM me your phone # you have made my day.

TD

banned
    Ride:

PM me your phone # you have made my day.

TD
    Ok here is the next key that will give you a taste of hog candy.

Repeat yesterdays ride to the Cathedral/Templeton intersection. Drop down Catheral to the wash at the bottom that is Easy Breezy turn right up the wash and ride to HT and turn left to Bell Rock Pathway. Cross Bell Rock Pathway and ride to Little Horse trail climb up Little Horse to Chicken Point. Ride down Broken Arrow to High on the Hog. This is a tricky intersection because the High on the Hog trail hugs the cliff band to your left. If you start dropping down from the base of the cliffband you ar missing the intersection.

One on High on the Hog ighten your seat belt. Ride to an open slickrock area in a westerly direction. This is where Hog Heaven starts. The trail is above you so you need to turn left to gt on the ledge above you. When on top ride west on the edge of the cliff. When you don't think you can ride any further the trail turns left up a narrow wash coming off the cliffs to your left..Get ready to hang a right U turn to get you on the saddl above you. Once you are on the saddle continue west.to Mystic or when you get to a trail intersection turn right on Hog Wash which will take you to the Broken Arrow Trail.

Good Luck

TD

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb to Sedona, need someone to ride with 24th-28th-img_1422.jpg  

mtbr member

Thinking thursday......Hangover or Chuck wagon.
    Do you all have a preference between the 2
    CW is longer and more of an xc ride. 15 miles or more and 3 or 4 hours if you add in Mezcal/COF/Snake at the end or nearby system trails such as Deadman's and Cockscomb. HO is more like HE but with additional exposure and slickrock. It's an 8 mile loop but not to be missed if you have the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Traildoc,
    that ride was incredible::....

Up SlimShady to HighLine (couldn't pass up high line) all the way across and down to Baldwin, baldwin to templeton to HT to Little horse to broken arrow (had to search a bit for the Hog trail (you directions were awesome) doubled back just one time and spotted it, OMG that Hog trail rules, hustled up and over that trail down to the broken arrow trail, back up to chicken point, down little horse trial to LLama to bell rock return.

I must say, I am a little whooped after 3 day's of riding your excellent trail recommendations.

The trail system here is awesome, Hog is by far my fav to this point, almost 100% rideable and at a good clip to keep the HR up, switch backs are perfectly engineered to keep your momentum.

3.25 hour ride.

Thanks again for all your help, I would not have found or heard of these off the map trials

Ok, one more day:::....Hangover ??

Ok here is the next key that will give you a taste of hog candy.

Repeat yesterdays ride to the Cathedral/Templeton intersection. Drop down Catheral to the wash at the bottom that is Easy Breezy turn right up the wash and ride to HT and turn left to Bell Rock Pathway. Cross Bell Rock Pathway and ride to Little Horse trail climb up Little Horse to Chicken Point. Ride down Broken Arrow to High on the Hog. This is a tricky intersection because the High on the Hog trail hugs the cliff band to your left. If you start dropping down from the base of the cliffband you ar missing the intersection.

One on High on the Hog ighten your seat belt. Ride to an open slickrock area in a westerly direction. This is where Hog Heaven starts. The trail is above you so you need to turn left to gt on the ledge above you. When on top ride west on the edge of the cliff. When you don't think you can ride any further the trail turns left up a narrow wash coming off the cliffs to your left..Get ready to hang a right U turn to get you on the saddl above you. Once you are on the saddle continue west.to Mystic or when you get to a trail intersection turn right on Hog Wash which will take you to the Broken Arrow Trail.

Good Luck

TD

TD
    " I Love My Bike "

banned
    Traildoc,
    that ride was incredible::....

Up SlimShady to HighLine (couldn't pass up high line) all the way across and down to Baldwin, baldwin to templeton to HT to Little horse to broken arrow (had to search a bit for the Hog trail (you directions were awesome) doubled back just one time and spotted it, OMG that Hog trail rules, hustled up and over that trail down to the broken arrow trail, back up to chicken point, down little horse trial to LLama to bell rock return.

I must say, I am a little whooped after 3 day's of riding your excellent trail recommendations.

The trail system here is awesome, Hog is by far my fav to this point, almost 100% rideable and at a good clip to keep the HR up, switch backs are perfectly engineered to keep your momentum.

3.25 hour ride.

Thanks again for all your help, I would not have found or heard of these off the map trials

Ok, one more day:::....Hangover ??
    R2S:

You have been one of my best students and I am very impressed with the time totals to do the ride. I am happy I am not trying to keep up with you.

We recently rebuilt the steep Templeton climb and I was curious how you did on that climb with the very difficult right switchback to the left-hander before you top out.

OK tomorrow, I would say Hangover fits the bill. The trail is as technical as the Hogs, but the scenery and the trail build are unbelievable. There is nothing like it anywhere I have ever ridden.

Like the Highline ride this trail has every discipline any skilled rider in great shape could look for. If you start at the Huckabee parking lot the ride will take you less than two hours.

From the parking lot there is a singletrack (Munds) on the left side of Schnebly Hill Road. I ride the road since I am old and not interested in wearing myself out before getting to the super techy spots on Cow Pies.

Munds is a system trail that I hope to do some improvements on the next couple years if I get Forest Service approval, but until then it gets rutted year after year. Your map should show the trail up to Cow Pies, which is about 2 1/2 to 3 miles up from the parking lot.

When you get to the first BIG parking lot on the right the Cow Pies trail is to the left heading north north west. You will know you are on the trail because it is really rocky and heads to a cliffband. That cliffband is separated by a huge saddle to your 10:30 position.

Your goal is to get to the Saddle known as the Damifino Saddle. As you ride on Cow Pies you will be riding pretty much straight to the cliff in front of you. There is a tricky spot on Cow Pies about fifty yards after you drop down into a 10' wide wash and climb out for fifty yards.

The hiking trail splits to your right the biking trail goes left up the slickrock. If you are walking your bike on a singletrack you went the wrong way. If you go the correct way you will climb up about 30' onto a bench on the back of the bench to your left (some riders just ride straight up the slickrock wall) the trail climbs next to a huge beautiful Aguave.

At this point you will be riding up a huge expanse of slickrock. Just keep riding towards the cliff band at a 90% angle. The trail is about 150 yards ahead of you at the base of the cliffband. There is a big flat piece of limestone in front of the passage onto the techy section of Cow Pies. I normally sit on that rock and put on my protective armor and to eat a bar.

OK this is where you do another little prayer to the NO DAB GODS. This section of trail will no doubt stimulate you. If you have any personal problems you won't be thinking about them you will be thinking WTF.

About 250 yards into the techy section the trail comes to a real narrow off cant short 20' climb section. After that section many people climb up to the right 1:00 position. I choose to drop left down to a 5' wide shelf that has a hangover rock that you should walk past the first time.

Keep riding towards the Big Saddle ahead of you. Stay as high as you can and still keep riding.

Once you get to the base of the saddle you have two options to get up to the saddle. The first is to hike-a-bike to the right of the saddle. The other option is to keep riding west towards the base of the left side of the saddle.

The trail isn't real obvious due to being mostly on slickrock, but if you keep close to the base and can keep riding you are on the correct routing, This is where it becomes tricky and somewhat intuitive the climb is totally ride able if your skill is good enough.

When you get to the left side, the routing turns 90 degrees right and starts to abruptly climb. The initial climb is off cant so it is somewhat difficult. The routing will make a 90 degree left turn and will get really steep, it will climb about 25 yards and turn right about 120 degrees.

You will ride level for about 20 yards slightly to the right of an 18" wide white steep limestone layer. The TRICK is to get up that layer without having the rear wheel slipping out. I my experience is there is only one spot to be able to ride up to get higher after riding about 20 yards.

You need to get above that 18" thick white layer and angle up to the right at about a 30-degree angle to find the next sweat spot to get above the next white layer w/o dabbing. That white layer is about 3 foot thick and very steep. Once you get on the upper shelf you head left on the shelf. The rail will turn from slickrock to a steep single track on dirt. Climb that to a right hand turn that you will walk like everyone else. After a ten-yard walk you will be able to ride up to the saddle.

OK enjoy the view it is AWSOME, not quite like being at the top of the 401 at Cresta Butte but still pretty cool.

Hangover is on the front side of the saddle about 60' elevation ally below the top of the saddle. If you were to drop elevationly 60' and turn left you run into a single track that will blow you mind. Getting down to the trail is easy if you are a skilled rider. I take the line to the left if the saddle is dry. I go far right if it is wet. As my friend Andy from Denver says Dealers Choice.

Once on Hangover follow it to the Big View spot where the trail turns right. The trail drops to your right from this point until you get to a left hand switchback and start switchbacking down the face. When you get to the lower shelf you turn left and head to the lower saddle to you left. The dirt trail starts again off the right side of the lower saddle to the south.

Once you get to the lower saddle and start on the lower singletack you follow that to the Munds Wagon Wheel trail and turn right to go back to the Huckabee Parking lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb to Sedona, need someone to ride with 24th-28th-climb.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 02-26-2010 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Traildoc

Sue and I are also following your lead. Rode R2s's first ride today. The super secret trail RULES!!! Riding over the saddle was just amazing. Kudos to all who build trails here. Thanks, H&S

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot
    Sue and I are also following your lead. Rode R2s's first ride today. The super secret trail RULES!!! Riding over the saddle was just amazing. Kudos to all who build trails here. Thanks, H&S
    H&S:

Thanks for the kind words. I will pass on your compliments to the people I suspect may have been involved with finding the trail. I think it was an old indian trail that was used for hunting havalina.

I assume you have seen the following loops:

Popular Sedona Rides Consisting of Loops, Out and Back Rides and Shuttles on System and Non-System Trails

Trails are shown by where they are located, the fun factor/degree of difficulty, the length of the ride and my rating as to which trail I would ride first as an advanced rider (A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, C1 & D1)

West Sedona Area

Advanced Loops:

1. Start at the High School to Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to New Rams Head to Cake Walk to Pyramid to Witch Doctor to Pyramid to Cake Walk to New Rams Head to Under Under the Radar to Double D to New Rams Head to Chavez Road to Ridge to Sketch to Lemonade Bypass to Old Ridge to Ridge to Carol Canyon to Homee to Bike Path to the High School. (approx. 3 Ĺ hours ) A1

2. Start at the Cultural Center to LedgeíníAiry to Bypass to Girdner to Easy Rider to Plumberís Crack to the Cultural Center. (approx. 2 hours ) A3

3. Start at Thunder Mountain Trailhead to Chimney Rock to Dry Creek Road to Lower Lizard Head to Dry Creek Gravel Road (Vultee Arch Road) to Lost Watch to Touron to Chuck Wagon to Chuck Wagon to Touron to Sunset to Dry Creek Gravel Road (Vultee Arch Road) to Lower Lizard Head to Dry Creek Road to Thunder Mountain to Thunder Mountain Trailhead. (approx. 4 hours ) A1

4. Start at Thunder Mountain Trailhead to Chimney Rock to Dry Creek Road to Lower Lizard Head to Dry Creek Gravel Road to Lost Watch to Touron to Chuck Wagon to Chuck Wagon to Lost Watch to Mescal to Canyon of Fools to Dawa to Cockscomb to Christmas Wash to AZ Cypress to Anaconda to Girdner to Lower Lizard Head to Dry Creek Road to Thunder Mountain Trail to the Thunder Mountain Trailhead. (approx. 5 hours ) A2

5. Recycle Center to Carol Canyon to Ridge to Sketch to Ridge to Upper Ramís Head to New Ramís Head to Secret Slick Rock to Red Rock Crossing Road to Carol Canyon Wash to Under Under Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Old Post to Bike Path to Homee to Carol Canyon to the Recycle Center. (approx. 3 hours) B1

6. Mtn. Bike Heaven to Front Side of Airport to Bandit to Tabletop to Windsurfer to Bogus to Sketch to Ridge to Upper Ramís Head to New Ramís Head to Double D to Under Under the Radar to New Ramís Head to Cakewalk to Pyramid to Witch Doctor to Pyramid to Cakewalk to Old Post to Bike Path to Homee to Upper Homee to Old Post to Recycle Center to Shelby Road to 89A to Mt. Bike Heaven. (approx. 4 hours) B1

7. Bashaís to Little Elf Trailhead to Tea Cup to Upper Tea Cup to Mouse Fingers to Tea Cup to Soldiers Pass Road to Soldiers Pass Trail to Jordan to Ant Hill to the Ant Hill Climb Trail to the Jump Trail to Roller Coaster to The Nine Way Intersection to Centennial to Crucifixion to Second Coming to Airport Road to Front Side of Airport to Bandit to Recycle Center to Shelby Road to 89A to Bashaís. (approx. 3 hours) B2

8. Second Coming and 89A to Second Coming to Grand Central to the Nine Way to Roller Coaster to the Jump Trail to Ant Hill to Jordan to Soldiers Pass Trail to Soldiers Pass Road to Seven Scared Pools to Soldiers Pass Trail to Jordan to Power Station Plunge to the Nine Way to Centennial to Crucifixion to Second Coming to 89A. (approx. 3 Ĺ hours) B2

9. Catholic Church and Crucifixion Trailhead to Lost and Found to Jump Trail to Ant Hill to Jordan to Power Station Plunge to Jordan to Jim Thompson to Birdcage to Jim Thompson to Jordan to Power Station Plunge to Grand Central to Second Coming to the Catholic Church (approx. 3 Ĺ hours) B2

10. Mtn. Bike Heaven to the Front Side of Airport to Brewer to Crucifixion to Grand Central to the Nine Way to Centennial to Crucifixion to Second Coming to 89A to Mtn. Bike Heaven. (2 Ĺ hours) B2

Intermediate Loops:

1. Start at Girdner Trailhead and Dry Creek Road to Dry Creek Gravel Road to Lost Watch to Touron to Chuck Wagon to Lost Watch to Secret Dry Creek Wash Crossing to Seven Canyons Road to Deadmanís Pass Trail to Enchantment Road to Boyton Pass Road to Dawa to OK to AZ Cypress to Anaconda Bypass to Anaconda to Girdner to the Girdner Trailhead at Dry Creek Road. (approx. 3 1/2 hours) C1

2. Start at Girdner Trailhead at Dry Creek Road to Girdner to Anaconda to AZ Cypress to Girdner to Easy Rider to Plumberís Crack to Color Cove to Dry Creek Road to Lower Lizard Head to Dry Creek Road and Girdner Trailhead. approx. 2 hours ) C1

Easy Ride Out and Back with some short Intermediate to Advanced Sections:

1. Park at Deadmanís Pass Trail Head ride Deadmanís to the end of Trail and ride
    back to your car. The easiest direction is east to west. If you thought the ride was too advanced you can ride the paved roads back to your vehicle. (approx. 1 Ĺ to 2 hours) D1

Advanced Shuttle Rides

Drop the Shuttle Vehicle at the Red Rock Crossing Road and Chavez Road Intersection then drive to the High School at Upper Red Rock Loop Road and Hwy 89A.

1. Start at the High School to Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Double D to New Ramís Head to Secret Slick Rock to Red Rock Crossing to Templeton to Slim Shady to HÖ..E to Baldwin to Templeton to Red Rock Crossing to the Carol Canyon Wash to Upper Red Rock Loop Road to Pyramid to Witch Doctor to Pyramid to Cake Walk to New Ramís Head to Under Under Under the Radar to the Shuttle Vehicle. The pick-up vehicle would be parked at the Red Rock Crossing Road and Chavez Road intersection.( approx. 4 hours) A1

2. Start at the High School to Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Double D to New Ramís Head to Secret Slick Rock to Red Rock Crossing to Templeton to Back of Beyond to Easy Breezy to Easy Sleezy to the Bell Rock Parking Lot to Slim Shady to HÖ..E to Baldwin to Templeton to Red Rock Crossing to the Carol Canyon Wash to Upper Red Rock Loop Road to Pyramid to Witch Doctor to Pyramid to Cake Walk to New Ramís Head to Under Under Under the Radar to the Shuttle Vehicle. The pick-up vehicle would be parked at the Red Rock Crossing Road and Chavez Road intersection.( approx. 5 hours) A1+

3. Start at the High School and the Herkenham Trailhead. Ride Down Herkenham to Old Post to the Exit of Old Post at the Red Rock Crossing Road. (15 to 20 minutes) B1

4. Start at the High School and the Herkenham Trailhead. Ride Down Herkenham to Old Post turn left to Under Under the Radar to Under Under Under the Radar to Carol Canyon Wash to the pick-up vehicle parked at the bridge on the Red Rock Crossing Road. (30 minutes) A2

5. Start at the High School and the Under the Radar Trailhead to Bike Path to
    Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Under Under Under the Radar to Carol Canyon Wash to the pick-up vehicle parked at the bridge on the Red Rock Crossing Road. (45 minutes) A1

6. Start at the High School and the Herkenham Trailhead. Ride Down Herkenham to Old Post turn left on Old Post and ride about 100 yards and look to your right for a trail at the base of the climb up Old Post. Turn right on Under Under the Radar. Follow UUTR to Under Under Under the Radar to the Carol Canyon Wash Bridge which s your exit point to the shuttle vehicle. (approx. 20 minutes) B1

Drop the shuttle vehicle off at the lower Burger King parking lot off Brewer Rd near Hwy 89A and Hwy 179A intersection.

1. Start at the Jordan Trailhead at the trailhead parking lot off Jordan Road. Ride west on Jordan towards Soldiers Pass. At the electrical power station head south to the Power Station Plunge trail to the Eight Way to Centennial to Crucifixion to Burger King. (approx 40 minutes) A1

2. Start at the Brewer trailhead off of Airport Road. The trail starts by climbing to the left out of the parking lot. (approx. 12 minutes) B1

Drop the shuttle vehicle off at the Hwy 179 and Schnebly Hill Road intersection drive up to the top of Schnebly Hill. At the top of the hill ride south to pick-up the top of the Munds Wagon Wheel trailhead.

1. At the top of the hill ride south to pick-up the top of the Munds Wagon Wheel
    trailhead. Ride down Munds back to the Huckabee parking lot. Pick-up the Huckabee By Pass trail to Schnebly Hill Rd. and back to the shuttle vehicle. (approx 70 minutes) B1

Bell Rock Area

2. Start at the Yavapi Parking lot (on Hwy. 179) across for the Bell Rock Parking lot northwest of Bell Rock. Ride west from the parking lot to pick-up Slim Shady turn left and bomb down Slim Shady to Made in the Shade. Turn left for a downhill to the Red Aguave or turn right and climb higher on Made in the Shade for a steeper downhill to the Red Aguave. (approx. 15 to 20 minutes) B1

Hwy 89A and 179 Area (Near Schnebly Hill Road)

Advanced Loops:

1. Schnebly Hill Road and Hwy. 179 to Huckaby Parking Lot to Munds Wagon Trail to Cow Pies to Damifino Saddle to Hangover to Munds Wagon Wheel to Huckaby Parking Lot to Fast Trail to Schnebly Hill Road to Hwy 179. ( approx. 2 1/2 hours ) A1

2. Burger King Schnelby Hill Road to Huckaby Parking Lot to Munds Wagon Trail to Cow Pies to Damifino Saddle to Damifino to Damifido to Killer Bee to Lavitra to Casner Canyon to Grass Hopper Point to Midgley Bridge to Wilson to Jim Thompson to Bird Cage to Jim Thompson to Jordan to Power House Plunge to the Nine Way to Grand Central to Crucifixion to Burger King. (approx. 4 1/2 hours) A1

Broken Arrow Area

Advanced Loops

1. Pine Court to Mystic to Hogalicious to Hog Wash to Hog Heaven to Mystic to Chaplel Road to Chapel Trail to Little Horse to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Cemetery to Pine Court. (approx. 2 Ĺ hours) A1

2. Pine Court to Mystic to Hogalicious to Hog Wash to Hog Heaven to Mystic to Chapel Road Chapel Trail to Little Horse to Lama to Bell Rock Parking Lot to Slim Shady to H.T. to Little Horse to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Cemetery to Pine Court. ( approx. 3 Ĺ hours) A2

3. Pine Court to Mystic to Hogalicious to Hog Wash to Hog Heaven to Mystic to Chapel Road to Chapel Trail to Little Horse to Lama to Bell Rock Parking Lot to Slim Shady to Templeton to Back of Beyond to Easy Breezy to H.T. to Little Horse to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Cemetery to Pine Court. ( approx. 4 hours) A1

Little Horse Parking Lot (located on the east side of Hwy 179 about 400 yards south of the Back of Beyond Road/Hwy. 179 intersection)

Advanced Loops:

1. Bell Rock Tail to H.T. to Easy Sleezy to Bell Rock Parking Lot to Slim Shady to HÖ..E to Baldwin to Templeton to Back of Beyond to Easy Breezy to H.T. to Bell Rock to Little Horse Parking Lot. (approx. 3 hours) A1

2. Bell Rock Trail to H.T. to Easy Sleezy to Bell Rock Parking Lot to Slim Shady to HÖ..E to Baldwin to Templeton to Back of Beyond to Easy Breezy to H.T. to Bell Rock to Little Horse to Little Horse to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Mystic to the Neighborhood to Little Horse Parking Lot. ( approx. 4 1/2 hours) A1

Starting From Village of Oak Creek

Advanced Loop:

1. Red Agave to Made in the Shade (this trail is a loop so you can do the high or low line to get to Slim Shady) to Slim Shady to H.T to Eazy Sleezy to Bell Rock Parking Lot to Slim Shady to HÖ.E to Baldwin to Templeton to Slim Shady to Made in the Shade to the Red Agave. ( approx. 4 hours) A1

2. Red Agave to Made in the Shade (this trail is a loop so you can do the high or low line to get to Slim Shady) to Slim Shady to Templeton to Back of Beyond to Eazy Breezy to H.T. to Little Horse to Lama to Bell Rock Parking Lot to Slim Shady to Made in the Shade to the Red Agave. (approx. 3 hours) A1

Classic Intermediate Loop with Beginner and Advanced Sections

1. From Bike & Bean to Bell Rock Pathway to Lama to Little Horse to Broken Arrow to Morgan Road to Hwy. 179 to Pine Court to Mystic to Chapel Road to the Neighborhood Trail to Bell Rock Pathway to H.T. to Templeton to Bell Rock Pathway to Bike & Bean. (approx. 3 Ĺ hours) A3

Easy Ride Out and Back:

1. From Bike & Bean ride to the Bell Rock Pathway Trailhead proceed north to the Little Horse Parking Lot turn around and ride back to the Bell Rock Trailhead. (approx. 2 hours) D1

Easy Loop:

1. From Bike & Bean ride to the Bell Rock Pathway Trailhead Proceed North to the Bell Rock Loop Trail after completing the loop ride back to Bike& Bean on Bell Rock Pathway. (approx. 1 Ĺ hours) D1

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks to all @ the Red Agave Adventure Resort & Bike & Bean.....Killer place to stay and ride !! A+++

Doesn't get any better !!

Traildoc,
    Another Epic day with one of your suggested routes, most excellent:::........
    Headed out Shady (passed up high line for the first time) well worth it, that down hill to HT is fun........hit HT to Little Horse to Chapel Trail to Mystic to Morgan Rd,,,,headed up Morgan Road and started down a wash and got on a trail that took me over to Shnelby Rd. (turns out I should not have been on that trail...NO BIKES) didn't see anyone on the trail...OOOPS <---huge no no

Started up Schnelby Rd. after taking a massive dose of Hammer anti fatigue / Hammer endurance Amino's / Heed and some Hammer Huck Gel.....Settled into the middle ring in a kind of zone 4-5 clip up the dirt road......ended up way at the top, not noticing cow pies at all....looking down, I could see what would look like cow pies, headed up Shnelby past the closed gate about another 4 miles...that was a great climb up the dirt road, what a grind !!

Headed back down and found Cow Pies, bumpy little trail up to the pies slick rock, had no problem at all finding the entrance to Hangover, fun little steep rock climbs....woa !! what a sick trail, I love it,,,,very windy at the cliff's edge as you round the mountain and look left down the edge...I can say, I would not send a novice rider on this trail, if you cannot get out of your clips in a heart beat, you might end up doing a track stand off the edge.... that is an all out sick trail, I have never ridden anything like it.....what a blast !!! came back out, hauled down schnelby in the big ring, waited for the family to pick me up.....they were shopping, so I went up Airport and did a down hill on Brewer (saw some good hits someone built hiking a few day's earlier) fun little trail...DONE !! 3.75 hr ride.

Hit the road after some killer BBQ in town, did an all night straight through drive and got home in Colorado at 10:00 am......Snowing and crappy here still...Darn !!

Can't wait to come back and hit more good trail.

Ever in Longmont Colorado, stop by our shop.....www.bike-n-hike.com

Last edited by Ride2Suffer; 03-01-2010 at 08:18 AM.
    " I Love My Bike "

banned
    Thanks to all @ the Red Agave Adventure Resort & Bike & Bean.....Killer place to stay and ride !! A+++

Doesn't get any better !!

Traildoc,
    Another Epic day with one of your suggested routes, most excellent:::........
    Headed out Shady (passed up high line for the first time) well worth it, that down hill to HT is fun........hit HT to Little Horse to Chapel Trail to Mystic to Morgan Rd,,,,headed up Morgan Road and started down a wash and got on a trail that took me over to Shnelby Rd. (turns out I should not have been on that trail...NO BIKES) didn't see anyone on the trail...OOOPS <---huge no no

Started up Schnelby Rd. after taking a massive dose of Hammer anti fatigue / Hammer endurance Amino's / Heed and some Hammer Huck Gel.....Settled into the middle ring in a kind of zone 4-5 clip up the dirt road......ended up way at the top, not noticing cow pies at all....looking down, I could see what would look like cow pies, headed up Shnelby past the closed gate about another 4 miles...that was a great climb up the dirt road, what a grind !!

Headed back down and found Cow Pies, bumpy little trail up to the pies slick rock, had no problem at all finding the entrance to Hangover, fun little steep rock climbs....woa !! what a sick trail, I love it,,,,very windy at the cliff's edge as you round the mountain and look left down the edge...I can say, I would not send a novice rider on this trail, if you cannot get out of your clips in a heart beat, you might end up doing a track stand off the edge.... that is an all out sick trail, I have never ridden anything like it.....what a blast !!! came back out, hauled down schnelby in the big ring, waited for the family to pick me up.....they were shopping, so I went up Airport and did a down hill on Brewer (saw some good hits someone built hiking a few day's earlier) fun little trail...DONE !! 3.75 hr ride.

Hit the road after some killer BBQ in town, did an all night straight through drive and got home in Colorado at 10:00 am......Snowing and crappy here still...Darn !!

Can't wait to come back and hit more good trail.

Ever in Longmont Colorado, stop by our shop.....www.bike-n-hike.com
    R2S:

Thanks for the write-ups, the check is in the mail.

Glad you made it through Cow Pies and Hangover. Last year Hangover was the must do trail, but now that Highline is in the mix it drops to second or third for fun riding.

The trail is north facing so during cold periods it is either snowed over or iced up. Highline has a more northeasterly exposure, so it melts off sooner. Fortunately you hit the rides perfectly.

When you get back we will do the other five cool rides: Chuck Wagon, Sketch, Pyramid, Under the Radar, Ledge'n'Airy.

The Cow Pies section is still the heart pounder for me, When you clean all the hangover steep rock rolls and make the steep ups it doesn't get much better.

TD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb to Sedona, need someone to ride with 24th-28th-img_1682_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Back for more, Feb16th.....anyone else?...we will be camping a few nights this time, any recommendations.

TrailDoc still around.......

Edit:
    Just added EveryTrail on my IPhone
    Last edited by Ride2Suffer; 02-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    " I Love My Bike "

Members who have read this thread: 0