Mike in Apache Junction

Newb ridir in AJ

Thought I'd give a little intro of myself to the Arizona crowd.

I just joined this forum and l am looking forward to hitting the trails with other riders. I've been riding minimal by myself. I have off Friday, Saturday, and Sunday every week.

I don't know a lot of bike trails but that's going to change. I've got an old Mongoose hard tail to get me started. I will upgrade it as needed.

I'll keep an eye on this section to see what's going on.

See you on the trail.
    Trying to keep the rubber side down, Mike

mtbr member
    welcome!

How much further ???
    Im at Brown and Ellsworth. A lot of good trails nearby. Let me know if you want to go sometime and Ill show you around a bit. Its my son's 1st birthday this weekend and family is in town so this weekend wont work for me though.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

ride more, blog less
    welcome welcome!!! lots and lots of great trail out here.... especially if you like to climb... and some killer DH too
    i like these odds....

Mike in Apache Junction
    Douger-1, Sure, I'll let you show me around. So far I've been from Usery Park down to Silly Mountain and everywhere in between. I need to expand my horizon. I might go out to Hawes loop tomorrow if I get up before it gets too hot. Maybe catch up next weekend.

GnarHammer, I don't mind climbing. It's good for the body. DH? I'll give it a shot.

Mike in Apache Junction
    I went out Saturday morning to the Hawes Rd-Red Mountain area. Started out by myself at the Walgreens. The first crack I traversed ripped my under the seat bag strap. Good thing I had some twine to tie it up. Caught up to a few other riders on the main trail heading east. Went north on Saddle. Moved ahead with a couple of other riders onto I think the Ridge trail. Wiped out once. lost some skin but nothing serious. Made it back to Power Rd then two of us took another trail to the west. That's where my under the seat bag started loosing it's contents from rubbing the tire. Came out close to Recker Rd and finished the ride on pavement for 1 1/2 miles.

Over all My first trail ride was a good one. I know a few things I need to upgrade:
    1)Backpack with bladder bag. No more bag under the seat.
    2)Knee pads and shin guards. I like to keep my skin.
    3)Wider front tire. Need the traction for steering.
    4)Adjustments. Fine tune the brakes and shifters.
    5)Hand grips. Ripped one on the wipe out.
    6)Lights. Maybe do some night riding when it's cooler.

To top it off, It was a great ride. Climbing was awesome and some mild down hill was fun. When I get paid this week I'll get some things I need and I'll hit the trails again. The weekend after that, I'll be riding in Prescott with a friend while our wives take out the horses.

The old bag didn't last

The old Mongoose worked out alright. Someday, maybe get a soft tail.

im4Gsus
    yeah, lose the bag (which was intended to be carried in front, attached to the handlebar, not under the saddle), the wheel reflectors and most of all the kickstand! a hydration pack is the best way to go, then you can put your pump in there too.

the twisty trail west of power road is called TRW. when i ride out there i usually start from ranier (where you came out) at the north end of recker. it's so much fun coming back down on it.

welcome aboard!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgrinder69

The old bag didn't last
    ]
    Do you carry an extra bike in that thing ?

P.S. The kickstand is suicide. The bottle cage is going to leave you as a soprano. Sorry but I'd be irresponsible if I didn't point it out.

!!!Did you drill into the frame for the pump holder and the bottle cage !!! ?

I've edited 3 times now and I just keep seeing more.

Enjoy the trails
    Last edited by JohnniO; 08-15-2010 at 12:40 PM.

!@#$%&!
    When you have the cash, get some padded (preferably gel) baggy shorts. Or what I have is padded undershorts (Canari). Then I can wear whatever shorts I like. The padding will make rides SO much more enjoyable and you will ride in comfort longer.

Mike in Apache Junction
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    Do you carry an extra bike in that thing ?

P.S. The kickstand is suicide. The bottle cage is going to leave you as a soprano. Sorry but I'd be irresponsible if I didn't point it out.

!!!Did you drill into the frame for the pump holder and the bottle cage !!! ?

I've edited 3 times now and I just keep seeing more.

Enjoy the trails
    Thanks for noticing. The bag is gone. The bottle holder almost did me in Saturday so that's gone. And yes I did drill into the frame (oops). I'll take care of that. The suicide stand is coming off too. I thought about it and you just confirmed it for me.

Thanks for the tips. They are greatly appreciated.

Not at the table,Carlos!
    This may sound too simple but feel like it should be said.
    Wear a helmet.
    Carry alot of water.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgrinder69
    And yes I did drill into the frame

I think you already did take care of it. Frames are pretty delicate. They are strong when resisting the forces of cycling but other then that...

Do what you want but I would not ride on phoenix trails on a frame with 6 wholes drilled in it.
    The center of the tube is the thinest walled part of most bike tubes.
    Last edited by JohnniO; 08-15-2010 at 02:08 PM.