Go Speed Racer

Cool-blue Rhythm New wheelset question...

Ok, I am ready to take the plunge and upgrade my wheelset... I looked on prowheelbuilder.com and built up what I "think" I want, but I have a few questions.

Here are my requirements:

1) Must be tubeless ready
    2) 15mm thru axle front
    3) I weigh 135 pounds, and probably carry around 10-15 pounds of gear (depending on the weather / length of ride could be more or less)
    4) I ride mostly tame XC stuff, but do frequently ride T-Bird and ride down the steps which are around 1-2 foot drops (usually at slow speed)
    5) would like to keep the build around $600

6) I would rather work with someone locally than online to build them up

Here is what I was looking at:
    - Stans No tubes Crest XC (wondering if that is strong enough for me, I am thinking yes, based on my weight and trails I ride...) - (White - to match my sled)
    - Hope Pro 2 EVO blue hubs (not sure about these, picked them because they kept me in my price range)
    - Blue alloy nipples, got to have some bling
    - 32/32 Hole DT Champion 14 guage black spokes

Really just looking for some feedback as to if I am on the right track, or totally off...

Thanks guys.

D

Huffy Rider
    I ride the Crests pretty hard (Sedona/SOMO) and weigh more then you. I can feel them flex but haven't broken them yet. Mine have the Stan's hub and they have worked just fine for the last 14 months.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I ride the Crests pretty hard (Sedona/SOMO) and weigh more then you. I can feel them flex but haven't broken them yet. Mine have the Stan's hub and they have worked just fine for the last 14 months.
    Good to know, thanks for the info, gives me a little more confidence toward going with the lightweight ones.

Guess I should have also mentioned that it is a 29er hardtail...

Ahhh the pain....
    Dennis... First, I've gotta put in a good word for Dave at Speeddream Wheels... the guy does great work and is so easy to work with. He can give you all kinds of recommendations based on how much you weigh and how you ride. I'd suspect the build you're talking about will run you a little north of 600 but you'll get a great wheelset that he'll stand behind. He'll also recommend spoke gages to use based on how you ride; I suspect a straight gage spoke at your weight is overkill.
    Some other options are to buy the Stans factory set with their ZTR hubs; in your case crests sound like they'd work, but if you want a bit more robustness and don't care about a small bit of weight, the Arches are great. You can get those for around 500....less if you really hunt around on-line.
    The other thing you might consider is running an Arch on the rear and a Crest on front if you're concerned about weight. THat's basically what I ride (I'm 165 geared up) and I even use that combo for bikepacking where I've got up to another 20 lbs on the bike.
    Hope that helps!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

A plethora of pinatas
    Contact Dave Thomas at Custom bicycle wheels handbuilt by Dave's Wheels, Dave Thomas at Speed Dream

Local (in Fountain Hills), and one of the best wheelbuilders in the country!

I have a 5 year old set to DT Swiss 240s w/ Stan's Arch rims that he built for me that are still running round and true.
    Marty

Go Speed Racer
    Thanks guys (and gal)! Great advice so far, and it really helps. I will contact Dave and see what we can come up with!

I love bike!
    Anyone know if Dave will do wheel tune-ups or does he just do new builds? I've got a set of Flows laced to Hope Pro II hubs that I got a few years ago from CRC that are still in good shape as far as I can tell but could probably use at least a once over by a professional.

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    Anyone know if Dave will do wheel tune-ups or does he just do new builds? I've got a set of Flows laced to Hope Pro II hubs that I got a few years ago from CRC that are still in good shape as far as I can tell but could probably use at least a once over by a professional.

Yep, give him a call.
    Marty

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Another vote for Dave. He's building a rear wheel for my DH bike as we speak.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Hope on Crests would be great for your weight. I'm a fatty so I have two sets of Hope Pro Evo IIs on ArchEXs and soon a set of Hope FatSnos on Rolling Darryls.

meow
    Dave's built 7 sets of wheels for me and the spousal unit, each one custom to the needs of our riding style and the bike they go onto. All he does is wheels and is one of an elite few who build perfection.

Go Speed Racer
    Thanks again everyone! Nice to know we have such a talented wheel builder close by, seems like a no-brainer to use him, and that I will do! Looking forward to getting new hoops on my rig...

mtbr member

New wheelset question...

I have white Arch EX w/ blue Hope EVOs and nipples on my SS. Great combo! George at The Pig built these for me, but I wouldn't think twice about using Dave!

New wheelset question...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370540006.669290.jpg
    -boom

Go Speed Racer
    Looks great, thanks for the picture, just confirms they will look great on my ride!

mtbr member
    These came stock on my bike.
    New Vuelta Team SL ATB Wheel Set Lightweight Disc | eBay
    I had no issues with them after 1500 miles. They converted to tubeless easily and held. I ride mostly XC stuff, whatever that means in rocky AZ. I weigh 162 lbs.

My other ride is your mom
    Another plug for Dave at Speeddream....he's built two sets of Stans Flows on Chris Kings....they've never needed adjusting. Stans rims are pretty bomber for around here, especially given your weight stats and riding style.