mtbr member

New trails at McDowell - opinions/suggestions requested

Rand Hubbell at McDowell Mountain Regional Park (where the Pemberton is) hosted a public meeting last night about new trails in the park. He showed a map with 5 proposed new trails and asked for input on those and suggestions for any other new trails. Thatís right, he wants input from you about where new trails should be built in the park.

The map is here: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...1-www-2011.pdf

The new trails are New1-New5. There was also talk about putting a new trail alongside the Shallamo Wash (SH-W) trail that is not actually in the wash, but that isnít on the map.

Iím pretty impressed at this outreach since Iíve never experienced having any of my local parks having any interest in adding new trails Ė much less asking the users where they should be. I highly recommend that you take this opportunity to make your voice heard.

Send your comments and suggestions to Rand at randhubbell@mail.maricopa.gov

--Jeff

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Definitely an excellent opportunity. Bummed I missed the meeting last night due to physical therapy. Thanks for the post!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

im4Gsus
    i didn't know about the meeting.
    i'd like to see 1-8 done to do away with the dumb double track on the north side.
    the new 5 looks interesting, specially if it connects to scenic loop via new 4.

more trails = more fun!!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose View Post
    i'd like to see 1-8 done to do away with the dumb double track on the north side.

more trails = more fun!!
    Agree completely

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose View Post
    i didn't know about the meeting.

more trails = more fun!!
    1-8 has apparently been in the plan for many years. Rand recognizes that a trail going up a service road (current situation) is not good. I think that is probably the worst part of the Pemberton and would also like to see that done.

It is likely that New 4 will be the first trail done. It is short, and will be easy to create. POSSIBLE to get done by fall - but they wouldn't commit.

New 5 looks really great too. It is not on the map, but they would consider wrapping it all the way over to the Pemberton on the North side - instead of dumping into that camping area.

You're killing me Smalls!
    I was at the meeting too last night and there are a lot of great additions and changes planned.

They are also expanding the Trail Head parking lot by 1 acre.
    Marty

livin' the dream......
    This is really great! I love riding McDowell and am pleased with what they have added in the 10 years I have been living here. I'd like to see a connection between DX to new3 to 2. Make loop options out there vs. out & backs.

New 5 looks promising, it would be worth looking at following the contour around the mountain on the north side, cross lousley and connect to pemberton south of the road while leaving the spur to the campground.

BTW, avatar cactus pic is from my 1st trip on DIxie Mine when that opened a few years back! Love McD!