mtbr member

New Trail just beyond Spear S Ranch - Questions

So, I was riding the Maricopa Trail this morning, and, when I got to the Spear S. Ranch trailhead there was all of this new trail cut into the mountain just in front of Spear S. Ranch. I thought it was the new way to take the Maricopa Trail to Cave Creek Recreation Area. However, the trail was pretty steep and sandy and it seemed more like a hike a bike trail. Does anyone know what this new trail is and where it goes? I wasn't able to ride the entire trail as I ran out of time and had to head home to take my daughter to school. Also, when you get to Spear S., how do you stay on the Maricopa Trail? Swing around to the left of that mountain? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Here is the full details (map and video) on this. I have been meaning to check this out, but I have not gotten around to it.

New Trail: Adding more (non-Jeep road) mileage to the Maricopa Trail (video inside)

Conditions are loose, but the trail is fresh so it may take a few rains to get it packed in. Of course we probably won't see rain for months this time of year.

Here is how you get to cave creek park from that trailhead.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Maricopa, Overton, Go John,Overton 2nd time near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

And here is how to get to spear S from Anthem.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Maricopa - New Fork Test Ride near Anthem | Times and Records | Strava

Of course both these rides were done before that new section of trail opened.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks Joe. I figured you would be the one to answer my question as a fellow Anthemite. I had done the ride from Anthem to Cave Creek and then down to McDowell Sonoran Preserve but I always get mixed up between Spear S and Cave Creek. Previously, I went up to Calvary Road and then took a trail from there down into Cave Creek.

mtbr member
    BTW... I see you missed the cool descent on this ride.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 5miles near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

You needed to go a little farther up.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Daisy Mtn West side - GPS stopped part way near Anthem | Times and Records | Strava

The segment called Daisy Mtn West Side Descent is really cool. Just keep going up past the first rise and short downhill. Then go up on the narrower double track. This will get really steep then level off touch and turn to rocky single track. Get in low a gear and spin up. Eventually on the left will be a small rock pile and a tree. This will the start of the descent which is remarkably fun and interesting as it little more than a slightly worn path between the bushes.

BTW.. Nice on Maricopa from Wash to the bridge. I edited the segment to stop it at the fence line instead of on the other side of the bridge and you popped up KOM on it. Nice...
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I couldn't figure out how I went from 2nd place to KOM but I appreciate the KOM. LOL.

You've got some fast times, particularly for a 26" hardtail. I ride a 29er hardtail, but am hoping to upgrade to a 29er full suspension once I have some cash saved up.

Ahhh the pain....
    Hey guys...thanks for posting up those strava links....always looking for ways to connect up stuff via dirt. Hoping we get a better connector between the Maricopa trail through anthem and Sonoran. Sucks to ride the pavement.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Hey guys...thanks for posting up those strava links....always looking for ways to connect up stuff via dirt. Hoping we get a better connector between the Maricopa trail through anthem and Sonoran. Sucks to ride the pavement.
    I have been looking for a connector from Desert hills/Maricopa to Sonoran North. I have yet to find a dirt one and frankly it may not exist. Lots of private land just south of desert hills. At least the pavement part has wide shoulder and not terribly busy traffic wise. If I do happen to find on I will share for sure. Ray I can send you .gpx files if you want them.

What I really want to see is proper connector of Sonoran north and south. Sure you can spin the dirt paths in the neighborhood, but a proper dirt path exists just to the east of the houses. Not signed and unsure of land ownership and that could be why it has not been signed. I guess some one could spend some time and build some rock cairns like in the old days to mark a single path that could then be followed. It would not take long.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Update,
    I Finally rode the new bit of Singletrack on Maricopa east of Spear S ranch Trailhead off New River road.

Verdict... Wait and see. Very steep in spots and it is very loose right now. Climbs are pretty much HAB and the descents are rideable. There are few really tight switchbacks, but there are a few interesting rock features too. We will have to see if the ground gets hard enough to be able ride the climbs. Right now there is alot sliding even when HAB. I will say this was built with more of a hiker in mind and would not be IMBA approved. Total length is about a mile before it meets with the older section, but it is slow going.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Nice ride report. Somehow, I get the impression that they built this new section of trail with only hikers and equestrians in mind. We should file a discrimination lawsuit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have been looking for a connector from Desert hills/Maricopa to Sonoran North. I have yet to find a dirt one and frankly it may not exist. Lots of private land just south of desert hills. At least the pavement part has wide shoulder and not terribly busy traffic wise. If I do happen to find on I will share for sure. Ray I can send you .gpx files if you want them.

What I really want to see is proper connector of Sonoran north and south. Sure you can spin the dirt paths in the neighborhood, but a proper dirt path exists just to the east of the houses. Not signed and unsure of land ownership and that could be why it has not been signed. I guess some one could spend some time and build some rock cairns like in the old days to mark a single path that could then be followed. It would not take long.
    there is a path along the neighborhood but you have to cross a huge ditch - unrideable - I wish someone would just build a bridge over it.

You can try this connection

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mar 10, 2013 - Sonoran Cave Creek Loop near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Looking to explore the Sonoran North to Tramanto trail to Skunk Creek to Maricopa trail - there is a way there you can see it on google maps, may be in a wash at times though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Looking to explore the Sonoran North to Tramanto trail to Skunk Creek to Maricopa trail - there is a way there you can see it on google maps, may be in a wash at times though.
    I have looked, but there is no connector from Tramonto trail to Maricopa trail. There maybe a rideable path in the wash, but it cuts through private property. Not something I would try as it is a good way to to get shot for trespassing. Everything north of Joy Ranch Road to Desert Hills is all private land. The only option are the roads. You probably can find a dirt road path, but that is about it.
    Joe