mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New Trail: Adding more (non-Jeep road) mileage to the Maricopa Trail (video inside)

Went out to do a regular out-and-back on the Maricopa Trail from the Spear S Ranch TH the other day. Much to my surprise, there was some freshly-cut trail that bypasses a portion of a Jeep trail on private property. Not only does it bypass some wide Jeep trail with something much narrower, it is also more topographically interesting (not as flat).....a win-win in my book (even if it's only about 1 mile new trail).

However, it's really almost too fresh (must have been VERY recently cut). The new section was a lot of loose deep dirt. It really needs tires....and some rain (saw some shoeprints, horseshoe prints...but no bike tire tire prints).

Included some video below....not earth-shattering....but hey, new trail!

New Trail: Adding more (non-Jeep road) mileage to the Maricopa Trail (video inside)-new-maricopa-spear-s-3-29-2013.jpg

Ahhh the pain....
    Thanks for posting...always nice to see some better trail cut in. That east-west section of Maricopa enables some great big loops in the north valley connecting Sonoran to Spur Cross and such...cool stuff.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Cool,
    I heard about this being cut a few weeks back. At the time I saw some markers as to where it was going, but no actual trail yet. I will have to get over there to check it out as it is right in my neck of the woods.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Great to hear, will have to check it out soon. Epic loops will be had in the North Valley soon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEFFAY View Post
    Great to hear, will have to check it out soon. Epic loops will be had in the North Valley soon
    Well the old jeep road was rideable and not that long. Just a little boring so epic loops have been possible for a while.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Give it a crank
    Sweet, gotta check it out before the heat cranks up.

mtbr member
    Yep, ridden it before. Just meant that this will be a good excuse to get out and ride it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Thanks for posting...always nice to see some better trail cut in. That east-west section of Maricopa enables some great big loops in the north valley connecting Sonoran to Spur Cross and such...cool stuff.
    or you can skip Maricopa for an even better connection - no streets riding

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mar 10, 2013 - Sonoran Cave Creek Loop near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    or you can skip Maricopa for an even better connection - no streets riding

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mar 10, 2013 - Sonoran Cave Creek Loop near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
    That's an interesting route up to Cave Creek Park...I'm envisioning a big urban loop from my house....Reach 11-->CCW up through Cave Creek Park --> SMP North --> SMP south --> Reach 11 and home.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    That's an interesting route up to Cave Creek Park...I'm envisioning a big urban loop from my house....Reach 11-->CCW up through Cave Creek Park --> SMP North --> SMP south --> Reach 11 and home.
    I can give you some packages to deliver. Ride and profit.

mtbr member
    You can also ride Maricopa west of new river road all the way to 7th ave. Then it is only 3 mile of pavement to Sonoran north. This will
    It this new section of Maricopa east of new river road in play.
    Joe