mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New to site, anyone on the West Valley that can help me bleed my brakes?

My name is Fernando, I am new to the site as well as somewhat to the sport. I have been riding a Trek 4300 and just recently purchased a Santa Cruze Superlight (craigslist). I need to bleed my brakes, is there anyone in the West valley that would be willing to help me out (not charge)? I have Avid Juicy 7's on my bike. My back & front rotor are rubbing.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
    My name is Fernando, I am new to the site as well as somewhat to the sport. I have been riding a Trek 4300 and just recently purchased a Santa Cruze Superlight (craigslist). I need to bleed my brakes, is there anyone in the West valley that would be willing to help me out (not charge)? I have Avid Juicy 7's on my bike. My back & front rotor are rubbing.

Thanks!
    Are you sure they need to be bleed? If they are rubbing, you might just need to adjust (center) them.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That might be what i need to do, i just printed out the manual for them. I don't see anything about Centering the pads though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Loosen the caliper bolts, depress and hold the brake lever while you retighten the bolts. 90% of the time, it works every time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great! thank you for your help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    When you retighten the bolts, just tighten one in small increments-maybe a half turn and alternate between the two bolts with each half turn. This can help prevent the calipers from getting turned slightly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the advice! Greatly appreciate it!

banned
    Jun 2011
    Nando, welcome. I am rather new here but not to riding. In fact I am probably one of the older riders here.
    All and all good bunch. Expect those with the HIGH REP POINTS!
    Don't ask! They won't tell! I think they wear pink!
    Just kidding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMntBkr1 View Post
    Nando, welcome. I am rather new here but not to riding. In fact I am probably one of the older riders here.
    All and all good bunch. Expect those with the HIGH REP POINTS!
    Don't ask! They won't tell! I think they wear pink!
    Just kidding!
    Thanks for the advise! I am confused about this whole "rep points" deal. But good to know

mtbr member

Thanks!
    rotors rubbing typically indicate the brakes need to be adjusted , not bled. Bleeding is done typically to eliminate air in the lines . I do not believe that having air in the lines will cause rotors to rub ; correct me if im wrong. So do what everyone else has suggested and it will most likely fix the rubbing issue. -- loosen the frame mounting bolts on your brake calipers ( should only be 2 ) so that the brake can easily move side to side / front to back . with it loose, pull the brake lever all the way down engaging the brakes. the brake should now be clamped onto the rotor . while still holding the lever down -- tighten the bolts down to the frame -- doing small turns on either side and switching bolts between turns ( right bolt quarter turn, left bolt quarter turn, right bolt --until both are tightened) -- torque to spec ( if you have torque wrench ) let go of lever , spin the wheel, assuming that your wheel is mounted straight, and your rotors are not bent/warped , the disc should not rub anymore -- repeat on other brake .. ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It turns out that it was the metal spring that goes between the pads, a side was bent and causing a missalignment of the pads and one side was scraping the rotor. Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    It turns out that it was the metal spring that goes between the pads, a side was bent and causing a missalignment of the pads and one side was scraping the rotor. Thanks everyone!
    that will do it too! glad you figured it out successfully

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by textbookonewk View Post
    90% of the time, it works every time.
    Classic.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.