mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New School Geo Bikes on AZ Trails? Too Long?

AZ locals, I moved to PHX about 10 months ago, from San Diego. Currently riding a 48.2" WB XL Nomad 3, and it feels excessively long for South Mountain, White Tanks, Sedona, and Prescott riding I've done.

I've softened up my suspension, just because the riding in Arizona is a little slower than CA, no more Big Bear trips, and the trend of bikes getting longer by the minute seems to not be as conducive to AZ style trails.

Anyone feel the same?

Even though I'm 6'3", my next bike will be a Large Wreckoning or Slash 29er, both felt snappy in Sedona when I got to ride them.

Pivotal figure
    Well, I work at Pivot and we do all of our design & a ton of testing right in Phoenix so I'd say "not really"... I think the new geo just means adjusting what size bike is right for you and what you want out of the bike. I prefer a more compact frame so I was expecting the longer geometry to feel awkward in the tight stuff (like the switchbacks while climbing National or descending Corona) but it proved to be quite a bit easier (riding a comparably sized frame). A lot of the stuff in Phx is tighter and slower but I think you'll find your rhythm.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tuning suspension to rocky arizona can be a challenge.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.