Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Control Freak

New Rider Experience for anyone who needs it

Ok so I went out with Doug aka Douger on the forums for a little first time dirt action. First off nice guy who gave me some decent pointers.

We drive out to the beginner trails of Usery and walk our bikes over to the trail start. Let me say this..it was 108 out and I figured my fat a$$ needed to sweat. Have no idea the names of the trails but lets just say after 1.4 miles I ended up with heat stroke and I was pouring out sweat. Doug has me sit under a tree and drink water and tried to get my heart to stop from racing. My legs were on fire. See I had ridden around 20 miles or so the week before and thought yeah I can make it 5 miles on the dirt...WRONG!!! There is no time to stop pedaling especially when its a slow up hill track. Now keep in mind I just quit smoking 4 weeks before and I am fat and out of shape. How out of shape am I? Well I did 8 minutes on the elliptical at home and I couldnt breath. Figures after 20 years of smoking. So after 45 minutes or so under the tree we head back down to the car.

Lesson Learned: Dont ride when its blazing hot and dont stop pedaling through sand otherwise you fall over when you stop. (At least I do)

I tell doug how about tomorrow morning when its cooler. We agree on a time and Monday at 7am we start riding. Now this time I am feeling better. My legs are on fire and my heart is racing but I am trying to control my breathing. We get passed the place I almost passed out the day before and keep going. Yes I had to take a few breaks and yes I walked up and down a few hills that I wasnt ready for. I fell over 3 times and did do a over the handlebar dismount which looked amazing from Doug's point of view (damn sand). The line I picked was wrong but after a few scrapes and a bruise on my a$$ I wasnt going to give up. We keep going and one wash I lost it and went off into the brushes screaming dont stop pedaling dont stop pedaling! Well Doug is laughing at me by this time and of course the bike stops and I fall over into some bushes because I cant seem to learn to slide my heels out to get my feel unattached to the pedals. I am learning though. We start back down and this is the first time I feel the 2nd wind happen and WOW...it was frikin awesome! 5.4 miles down

Lesson learned: Your weight has a lot to do with how you ride. Meaning where you put the weight. These bikes are so light leaning back lifts the front off the ground and guess what...you lose the ability to steer which isnt good. Hence the reason I was going out to never never land and then falling over. At one wash I was feeling my front end come up and I leaned forward and actually made it through...What an amazing feeling.

I am not ready for anything crazy, but I had an absolute blast and will continue to "not stop pedaling"

Thanks to Doug for the patience and the time he spent showing me a few things. Cya guys out there and be safe...Oh, thank god for the helmet

Tim

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sounds like we have another addict :P

Sounds like you had a good time. Just ride at your own pace, no one cares if you have to walk sections due to fitness or technical ability, we all have to sometimes.

Don't believe the Hype...
    Way to keep at it! Riding in the heat is no joke. So many riders on here have been riding so long, they forget how hard it is for a new rider or never experianced it because they have always rode.

When I started at 30, I wasn't fat. Just in horrible shape from drinking way too much from 18 to 30 and not getting any real exercise...lol. It was actually pretty inspiring to see guys 20 years older than me passing me uphill like I'm standing still.

After trying a couple trails that where too much for me. I went to Papago like 10 times in row and built up my cardio on some easy smooth trails. It made hell of a differeance. Being tired on tech trails is bad news for a new guy.

Keep at it man, this is the best time to start riding. You'll have all winter to build yourself up before it gets hot again.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    My first ride was about 15 years ago when I was 27. It was on a flat trail, and I made it about 1/2 mile before I sat down under a tree and puked. Keep at it!
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

How much further ???
    No problem Tim, it was my pleasure. I think you did just fine for your first rides ever and you have the right attitude. I enjoy riding no matter what the pace and I enjoyed seeing someone so fired up about getting into mountain biking. Reminds me of when I first started. This is only the beginning and it gets better. Much better.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Meatbomb
    Maybe ride flats for the first few months until you get use to staying on the bike, then transition back to clipless.

mtbr member
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

mtbr member
    Awesome keep it up! The first two times my friend took me mountain biking (and he is 20+ years older than me and in MUCH better shape) I kept wanting to throw up. I received several laughs about that.

FYI, if you're really having heat stroke, you would not be sweating. The primary symptom is hot and dry skin. Heat exhaustion (which is more likely what you had) can progress into heat stroke fairly quickly especially in the desert. Once you have moved into heat stroke, your body no longer has any control over temperature regulation which will earn you an emergency ride to the hospital. Core temperatures of 104+ are considered medical emergencies and you would not typically be able to recover from that even with help from friends shading you and pouring water over you, etc. Sorry if I sound like preachy but it's critical to protect yourself in the desert this time of year and learn to recognize the symptoms before it's too late.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't feel bad, Doug tried to kill me my first time out too! Just kidding, but in all seriousness, I underestimated the heat as well. I thought I was going to die and am now after 3 rides BARELY getting used to the heat. But yeah, after a couple times, it becomes a quick addiction

And Doug, your friend that came out the other day...I liked his bike, so I checked out the Stumpjumpers in Flagstaff on my motorcycle trip this weekend, and if they work with me a bit on the price, I'm going back and picking one up! Wanna ride Sunday?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    as boring as ellipticals are, i have found that an hour one on just flies by while playing a Katamari Damashii game.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    Katamari Damashii

Got a suspension fork
    Congrats and enjoy the cooler weather just around the corner. Just get out and ride, the rest will com naturally.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Control Freak
    Thanks all....it was fun....I will continue to ride and today did 10 miles on the flat dirt and road....love the feeling after I get done with the legs burning...

I really need to remember to unclip....my hip is not liking it very well LOL. Doug whenever we can get back out there you know I am up for it....got anymore monday mornings off?

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Maybe ride flats for the first few months until you get use to staying on the bike, then transition back to clipless.
    +1
    That's alot to learn at the same time.

Clipless isn't for everyone. I'd get used to the bike first and then give clipless a try if you're so inclined.

I've ridden clipped in for quite a few years and just went back to flats and am stoked. My knees and feet are much happier on flats.

Great attitude! The more you ride the easier and funner it gets! Enjoy!

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedg
    ....got anymore monday mornings off?

Tim
    tim, good that you're persevering out there. like others said, go back to platforms until you get more experience handling the bike, then switch to clipless; your hip will thank you in the meantime.

i can ride monday morning, but i don't do well in the heat so i have to start early, like 6am. if you don't mind the company of an ol' n slow lady, then holler!

i ride with a bunch of other slow pokes and we have our own mssg board. check it out if you like: http://phxslowriderz.boardhost.com/
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Thread Killer
    I have Mondays off, will send you a PM with contact info. Been riding since end of July so I'm not setting any speed records.

Beetlejuice!
    Pretty new at getting my legs back here as well. Just picked up a new to me bike to get back into it after a 6 year hiatus. Its a bit hot right now and I'm not much of a morning person but I do have Mondays off.
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

Control Freak
    Weezer....just let me know...when it gets cooler we will be riding in the afternoon until then its an early ride ....

Tim

Thread Killer
    Riding Monday and Tuesday mornings next week. hatedg, weezerbot let me know if either of you want to join.

Control Freak
    JD...I will be out there Monday morning...PM'd you with details...let me know if you want to meet us there...the following week I have 2 more riders coming out also...

Tim

PS. I sent you an email and a PM

Control Freak
    I havent had a smoke in a while....I lost count...

Tim

mtbr member
    hatedg, sounds like you'll love mtb'ing a lot more in due time, especially as your fitness improves and skills get better.
    We were all at ground zero once and it takes a while to get the endurance, power, and speed up. Just ride as much mild terrain as possible, with riders near your level and have a great time in the process.

A few of my tips/suggestions:
    1-loosen those clipless all the way for now (if adjustable)
    2-good riding shorts w/pad
    3-be able to change tube and basic bike adjustments.
    4-bigger cassette(11-32) helps on hills. Spin easier gears--higher rpms,save energy.
    5-plan on 12-16 oz of water/hr and high carb snack(gel or small bar).
    6- wait 2-3 hrs after a meal before you ride.
    7--Have fun/meet fun people! At some point, enter a ride/race event on a flat course, the easiest beginner distance--very fun and motivating!

Control Freak
    Rob...thanks for the advice. I'm staying with flats for a while and I drink a ton of water while and after riding. I learned the other day how to change a flat. I also learned that high pressure in the tubeless tires are not good. I broke the seal on the rear and had toput a tube in. Thank God friends were there to help, but now I know how. Looking forward to this week with cooler temperatures and nicer weather. I'm on my way to go ride right now in the heat. I haven't ridden since Monday and I'm feeling lazy and my legs are itching for some workout pedaling.

Tim

mtbr member
    a lot of beginners run tire pressures too high, causing the bike to be unstable, sliding around, and bouncing. Tire pressure depends on the rider wt. You want to tire to compress enough to get better traction, soak up some of the bumps, but no so low to pinch flat the tube. Of course tubeless cannot pinch flat, so pressures can be much lower for better traction, but no so low to bottom out and dent the rim.

At 155 or so, I can run 20 psi in rear and 22 psi up front, usually works good on avg terrain, for me and my tires. A little higher pressure on the front helps keep the tire gripping and not washing out, especially when braking into corners.
    Lots of little things, bike setup(seat height, bars, lever position, shock adjustments) can make a noticeable difference too.

The older I get, the faster I was, but have more fun than ever these days!

Control Freak
    I was running at 48psi and went to 35.....I am thinking of dialing down to 25 for the dirt....35 worked fine for the road and canals. I'm still figuring out the suspension. I weigh 230 so still tweaking it and trying to understand it all. I changed my handlebar length and shortened my stem. Now my feet go numb running flats. I'm thinking its the seat. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast