Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! New Project: Need Builders

Me, Matt (mattyboy) and are starting to build new jumps, at a new location in east mesa. We are determined to make this into a large project with many features including many jumps, drops, step ups, and a possible pumptrack. Pumptrack will come after seeing how many workers we have and how it goes. This is not a small project, but something that will have people talking.

This location is prestine because of natural features, lots of dirt around, and close water access to fill galllons. (Sorry no hose).

Now we need at least for now 8-10 COMMITED builders that are willing to volunteer hours of work to make this place sick. It would be great to get as many workers as possible, but for now 8-10 is realistic. We have decided to not give out the location for now.

There will be scheduled work days where if possible everyone can come out and work together, but if you want, you can go and put in hours whenever. If you are interested in this and want to join this team to build a sick place to ride INSTANT MESSAGE me and I will give you location and more details.

Thank you
    Tanner
    Last edited by tannerdrummer; 07-21-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    I Like Dirt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just wondering if this will be on private land and if you have permission to do this? Nothing like putting all that hard work in to have it ripped down.

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    This was a topic I thought would come up. Things have been build on this piece of land before and nothing has been torn down, just not maintained.
    Last edited by tannerdrummer; 07-19-2010 at 03:09 PM.
    I Like Dirt.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AZnewbie
    Just wondering if this will be on private land and if you have permission to do this? Nothing like putting all that hard work in to have it ripped down.

The only thing asking permission for gets you is a NO.....or a pumptrack

go out and build like crazy and build stuff propper and build any place you can. Force the issue so they simply give up tearing stuff down and see the need that is truly out there!!!

mtbr member
    Jrock so true asking for forgiveness is usualy easier than permission
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    If people are worried about things getting torn down, yes it is possible, but its in the desert not visible from roads and people have built out there alot before, just things werent maintained because it was built by kids, and you know how bmx kids lose interest
    I Like Dirt.

mtbr member
    I think this thread was made a little prematurely...
    Asking for permission after it is built (or during) is not very smart...
    I don't really want a fine for building unauthorized structures on city land.
    That park has a lot of park rangers roaming around, and there are signs posted saying that no motor vehicles are to be driven back there... So "getting away with it" will be hard to do.

Why don't you get a list of the workers together that would like to help build, along with a petition of the mountain bike community (will need to have the yes/no vote and contact infomation). Even a community survey at the local hot spots (like grocery stores) around there asking people if they would like to see that place used for family recreation. Should be easy since its basically a concrete scrap dump right now.

Please take my screen name off of this until the approval process is completed.
    Thanks.

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    Ill tell you what, mountain bikers really have troubles with legal stuff. I remember when I was slightly younger some of my friends would go build where ever the hell we wanted and didnt get any crap for it.
    Kubo I can slightly understand concerns about fines IF you were building wood structures out there. But what are they going to fine you for or need approval for when you are building with dirt in the middle of the desert that says nothing about no trespassing. Its completely open to go back there, plus there are already jumps built back there, just not maintained. I can understand fines if you were hopping a fence saying no trespassing near construction and building, but this...no. And you saying something about no motor vehicles, I dont think anyone was planning on driving back there. And bikes, no motors.
    I Like Dirt.

ride more, blog less
    when you're a little older you will begin to understand how politics work; you'll then begin to understand the magnitude of building a park and all the legal mumbojumbo that goes along with it... and there are signs that say no trespassing, no dumping, etc....just not in plain view... and that's how they can get ya for violations... i'm not saying don't do it, cuz i'll still ride it... you just gotta take things into consideration before breaking any ground... good luck with the build... as for the rest of this summer, the only trail work i'll be doing is up north
    i like these odds....

It's a slugfest!
    Times have changed since we were boys….

I remember when I was a kid, my dad was the boys PE teacher in the Jr. High school I attended. He used to get away with murder by flipping us on the a$$ with his whistle or a towel as we walked from the showers to our locker, and once he mocked our jr high wieners. He used to discipline me right in front of all the other boys, one time smacking me upside the head when I "walked the mile" with a few friends instead of "jogging" it.

Well, today he is 70 something years old and he can't run very fast. I'm thinking it's time for ME to bring out the whistle strap… I kinda forgot where I was going with this whole post because I just remembered the wiener thing….
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug

I remember when I was a kid, my dad was the boys PE teacher in the Jr. High school I attended. He used to get away with murder by flipping us on the a$$ with his whistle or a towel as we walked from the showers to our locker, and once he mocked our jr high wieners. He used to discipline me right in front of all the other boys, one time smacking me upside the head when I "walked the mile" with a few friends instead of "jogging" it.

Well, today he is 70 something years old and he can't run very fast. I'm thinking it's time for ME to bring out the whistle strap… I kinda forgot where I was going with this whole post because I just remembered the wiener thing….
    CONGRATULATIONS! We have a wierd post of the day winner (or wiener i suppose)!

mtbr member

.....creepy

******ed or Branded??
    He used to get away with murder by flipping us on the a$$ with his whistle or a towel as we walked from the showers to our locker, and once he mocked our jr high wieners. ….

This was truly uncomfortable to read!!!!

But I can see Kavurider doing this in his near future.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    AZ and NM have a buttload of public land (in the desert) that you can build these jumps on. why build it on somebody else's private land?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerdrummer
    Ill tell you what, mountain bikers really have troubles with legal stuff. I remember when I was slightly younger some of my friends would go build where ever the hell we wanted and didnt get any crap for it.
    Kubo I can slightly understand concerns about fines IF you were building wood structures out there. But what are they going to fine you for or need approval for when you are building with dirt in the middle of the desert that says nothing about no trespassing. Its completely open to go back there, plus there are already jumps built back there, just not maintained. I can understand fines if you were hopping a fence saying no trespassing near construction and building, but this...no. And you saying something about no motor vehicles, I dont think anyone was planning on driving back there. And bikes, no motors.
    All I have to say is do some research and find out what is illegal and what isn’t before making assumptions on what you THINK you will be fined for. I know for a fact it is illegal to modify anything on a piece of land that’s not owned by you.
    Same as with NRA... all of that was illegal. That’s why people sneaked shovels and wheel barrels in to work on it.
    Not too much sneaking stuff in and out of that place you are talking about... its in plain view of everything.

If I were to help build, I want to do it right. Bring in real equipment and spend time on it as opposed to half-ass crap. Everyone that says its hard to get an approval as went as far as asking a couple people and getting a no.

If you have the time, get some things together and get more people saying "yes we want it" and bring that list to them. Because that is what they want to see.... not for us to go behind their backs and build stuff on their land then ask for forgiveness then a "oh-by-the-way, can we keep it?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    AZ and NM have a buttload of public land (in the desert) that you can build these jumps on. why build it on somebody else's private land?
    Because the approval process is near impossible on public land.

Meatbomb
    who owns the land you are building on ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Tanner, I appreciate your excitement about this just build idea as I am in the process of putting some business plans together for a legit park.

Quick story, which makes me feel like an old man. I built some really cool set of jumps back home in Jersey as a teen. I made sure no one left trash or tools, and no one could see it. Well one summer day with about 20 of us there 5 cop cars show up and the land owner wants us all prosecuted. We were just asked to leave in the end, but it was scary as hell, and if the situtation was a little different 20 good kids all have records.

If you want to do this you need to find a private land owner who is cool with you doing this somehow or get the city to allow a park to be built by a legitimate company like in other cities.

Everyone here would love to help build and ride a cool park, but not at the expense of fines or police issues.

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    Getting approval takes to much time. Period.
    Last edited by tannerdrummer; 07-20-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    I Like Dirt.

It's a slugfest!
    Those that know me believe about 1/2 the things I write. I would say that percentage holds up pretty well with my ramblings above…. Sincere apologies if the "walking the mile" story creeped you out….

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerdrummer
    Me, Matt (mattyboy) and are starting to build new jumps, at a new location in east mesa.
    It's Matt (mattyboy) and I are starting to build new jumps, at a new location in east mesa.

Just because your on summer break doesn't mean you can forget your grammer lessons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Just because your on summer break doesn't mean you can forget your grammer lessons.
    I think you mean "you're."
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire

mtbr member
    haha, fail.

To the OP:
    Don't ever, ever, ever post info about digging jumps online. And don't tell all your friends.
    Just build it, ride it, keep it quiet.

Good luck on getting "permission"...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

A reply came quicker than I thought, but I'm not sure if YOU'RE goofing or if you forget YOUR grammer lessons.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast