Powered by ice cream.

New Prescott Loop

Thanks to the motorcyclists and their new trail, there is finally a way up from the valley floor back to the Alto area. I've done the blue marked ride 3 times now and it is a hoot.

Great technical descent followed by about an hour of non-technical climbing back up.

The beauty of this is that it allows more exploring west of Granite mountain on some of the more technical trails Prescott has to offer. You could also combine it with a trip down 40 into Granite Basin, and back up through the Alto area for some mega climbing in the Granite Basin area. It would sort of make a figure eight. The trails are narrow and the descent (after the initial climb up 37) is extremely technical and loose in a few sections.

Beware of taking 37 out and then back on 37 because the climb out is an extremely steep, hike a bike fest. Not fun IMO.

Most riders should plan about 3 hours for the above ride. With no mechanicals and great fitness, you could do it in 2:15

Oh yeah, start at Little Granite trailhead and do the loop counter-clockwise.

wrecking crew
    Nice! New loops are exciting! We'll have to get up there when it warms up down here.
    ~~~

oldschool
    Looks like a fun loop. I have done parts of this route. The climb back up looks like it is the power line access trail. Have seen this trail and have wanted to try it. May give it a go this weekend..
    Steel Fanatic
    Marin Pine Mountain
    Surly Crosscheck
    Landshark Roadshark
    Jams XAM1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Nice! New loops are exciting! We'll have to get up there when it warms up down here.
    Hey Su let me know when you come up to do this trail. You and AKA are welcome to stay the night in the spare bedroom. I live right down the street from the 37 trailhead . Later, some shuttle action on mingus mtn. tomorrow.
    JRA

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Hey Su let me know when you come up to do this trail. You and AKA are welcome to stay the night in the spare bedroom. I live right down the street from the 37 trailhead . Later, some shuttle action on mingus mtn. tomorrow.
    Sweet! You are the man! Thanks for the invite...we may just have to do that sometime in the near future. T37 is a cool entrance to the Granite Mtn Area...nothing like climbing right off the bat! What's Mingus Mtn like? My dad used to jump off Mingus in his hang glider. Jeff's jonesin' to go there already...

Hey, you missed a fantastic Alta ride this past Sunday. It's like a mini-GC with plenty o' wicked dh after some equally wicked climbs. Lots of exposure and off-camber rock sections...you know, all the stuff you like. Next time...If you haven't been, you'll love it!
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Sweet! You are the man! Thanks for the invite...
    Hey, you missed a fantastic Alta ride this past Sunday. It's like a mini-GC with plenty o' wicked dh after some equally wicked climbs. Lots of exposure and off-camber rock sections...you know, all the stuff you like. Next time...If you haven't been, you'll love it!
    Anytime Su!!! I'm taking my 4 year old to trail 37 for some Dhill runs on his big wheel this morning than to mingus in the afternoon.
    Ya, some day I want to try out Alta that looks way fun
    I'll clue you guys in on mingus someday. Later.
    JRA

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Anytime Su!!! I'm taking my 4 year old to trail 37 for some Dhill runs on his big wheel this morning than to mingus in the afternoon.
    Ya, some day I want to try out Alta that looks way fun
    I'll clue you guys in on mingus someday. Later.
    Your 4 yr old will have a big grin on his face I'm sure. Have a great time out there today.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Where does this trail start, could not view the entire map??

mtbr member
    Go down ironsprings rd and past the alta off road riding area, go about 1 more mile on ironsprings rd. When you get over the ridge and your heading down the backside of the mnt, trail 37 is on the right side at a dirt parking lot with a fence.
    JRA