Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New MTB trail in Mesa

I heard the City of Mesa is working on a new mountain bike trail on Mcdowell and Recker rds. Anyone know anything about this? I only ask because I see conflicting info on it.

McDowell and Recker Park CP0122

At the northeast corner of McDowell and Recker Road is a beautiful 6-acre piece of land covered in native desert vegetation and a 60 foot high knoll that is centered in the parcel. The site is currently a open space with a city reservoir that has been well positioned on the north slope of the land.

The City of Mesa has programmed a sensitive approach to utilizing the property for non-motorized recreational uses through a wide variety of trails and viewing pods. The plan includes a 1-mile multi-use walking/hiking trail that is the key backbone trail designed for most user levels. A 1-mile long mountain biking trail will meander up and down while circling the central knoll to create a variety of riding conditions. The controlled, yet rugged bike trail will provide a true mountain bike experience. The park will also include a BMX track, restrooms, ramadas and parking.

I'm not sure I would want to make a trip for a 1 mile trail. Then I saw it was being built by Alpine Bike Parks so I checked their website and they say 20 acres, not 6 acres which would mean a possiblility for more than just 1 mile of trail???

Riders!! Come give input on a new mtb/bmx dirt park in Mesa, Arizona Vital MTBVital BMXPinkbike Check out the concept plan for slopestyle trails, pump track, technical short course DH, and XC loop on 20 acres in Mesa. The site has 60 Ft of elevation and cool terrain with big saguaros and nice big rocks.

mtbr member
    That's awesome. I'd travel to try it out

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    will it be connected to the west side of recker? cause there be cows wand'rin round over there..,, extra chunk

parenting for gnarness
    it could be a good destination since its right off the 202. interesting to see what becomes of it. my kids used to goto the daycare across the street - that would have been fun...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Another park with mtb trails and a BMX Track is awesome. A great excuse to pick up a BMX bike.

My other ride is your mom
    Cool concept for kids to get used to riding.....that's a very small parcel of land. If they put in a pump track in there as well....then it might be more of a destination.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    they could have wheelchair night the first wednesday of each month to coincide with fry's senior day

How much further ???
    A pump track would be great. I live in the area so obviously Im all for it!!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    ya, I saw a list of planned Mesa parks and that was one of them. any completion date info? as far as lap length go's, if it's a fun 1 mile loop, I'll just do it 20 times! more trails is more, and thats what we want and need.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Good intel cw50must !

Here is the map of the trails

http://www.mesaaz.gov/engineering/Pr...MRP_Trails.pdf

I could not read all the descriptions but could make out "Black Diamond" "one way downhill" "Pump Track"

Sweet just 2.5 miles from my house. (this will save 2 mins off my drive to Hawes

I will have an excuse to get a BMX ride and perfect my pump technique

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    BLM is putting up new barbed wire fences along the southern borders of the land, TRW trail will be indisputably closed once it's up

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    LHM; thanks for scouting this out; will look fwd to a ridin report from you.
    Cheers.
    TS

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I left a message with the City of Mesa Engineering PR dept at 480-644-3800. The public comment day was Oct 1, but they might still be taking comments?

I will let you know what they say. Maybe we flood them with comments on what we want. My guess is they got little feedback.

parenting for gnarness
    On GroAZ's FB page, it sounds like a few of the Mesa locals might be doing a volunteer session on Saturday 10-26 to help pick up trash.

GroAZ has had some nice successes so far around the Valley by working closely with local land managers (not state or Fed so far iirc). Local managers tend to be more flexible, more appreciative of local needs. But like all reps for an organization, they are more comfortable working with partner orgs than individuals. To that end, if you are interested in this project it would also be a good time to look into participating with GroAZ. GroAZ is not IMBA - it a local group run by locals, most of the officers are on here or folks you will meet around town.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    GroAZ's fb has prtivate and public pages. It seems they are heading to MMP on the 26th. They mention nothing on their website Gravity Riders Organization Of Arizona

Can someone share details about the possible clean up?

Happy to support them on this project. If the comment period is still open, I think it makes complete sense to make individual comments. These kind of things can often be a numbers game.

The whole projects seems like a huge win either way.

mtbr member
    Sounds great! More biking in my area is always good. If anyone finds out how we can contribute or comment please post up here, I would be happy to participate.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    BLM is putting up new barbed wire fences along the southern borders of the land, TRW trail will be indisputably closed once it's up
    confused: The vacant land being talked about is on the N.E. corner of McDowell and Recker, no? How does this affect (the remaining) TRW 'system'?

Anyhow it's a very small plot of land, might be a cool place to take the kids though....or to hit during a beer run to Chevron/QT

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I spoke to the designer form Alpine. They were very nice.

Comment period is over. They are shooting to have the final design done and contruction permit done my mid December and begin building in January. They are working in conjunction with another group doing land scape, parking lot, ...

8,000 sq/ft figure 8 multi line pump track with multiple line choices.
    XC loop around the park.
    2 areas of flow trails. One beginner/intermediate and one expert with bigger gaps and tech DH. There will be start mounds and then jumps, berms, wooden features.
    Kids skills development area
    Total trails miles will be aroun 2.5 miles.

She made it sound like this will be a pretty bike bike park by their standards. That it will be a destination.

She was not sure when it would be done.

She did ask about how the dirt around the area holds up. I told her I would be suspect as there is not a lot of clay in the dirt in the area. Also, that the local pump track builders would likely know more.

mtbr member
    good info SugarHigh

mtbr member
    Any updates on this?
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    bump... looking for updates!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Rode the area last week; nice site, and very convenient for the hordes from AJ. Will take alot of pressure off of Gold Canyon too.
    Let the fun begin. TS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    is there a pump track?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Someone update this and let us know whats out there!

Park map I found:
    http://www.mesaaz.gov/engineering/Pr...nRendering.pdf

Trail schedule:
    http://www.mesaaz.gov/engineering/Pr...ilSchedule.pdf
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

mtbr member
    From the link in the OP (McDowell and Recker Park CP0122)
    "Construction is tentatively scheduled February 2014 and is estimated to be completed in October 2014."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast