mtbr member

New to the forum, hello all!

Hello everyone I just joined this forum wanted to say hello and get some advice for my first ride. I have gotten some great ideas for beginner trails from.this forum already but thought I would see what you all think. A friend built me a bike a few year's ago and after moving around for the last year and having it stored I finally have my hands on it again and I'm ready to finally get going! I've only ridden this bike to and from school so this will be my first actual mountain ride. I'm planning on doing trail 100 from 7th street heading west for as much as I can handle. I read that you can also park at the shopping complex on 7th street by dollartree and.there is an opening to the trail, will this lead me to trail100? I've hiked 100 from the 7th st visitor center so I am somewhat familiar with it but I'm still not exactly sure what to expect.

Oh and I have already checked out the new to az/visitor thread.
    Thanks for any input !

mtbr member
    Yes you can get to T100 from the dollar tree parking lot, You'll see the connector trail on the southwest side of the parking lot.
    If you head west from 7th street, the trail will end at 7th ave. Try heading east, you can go much further.

Have fun, and be safe!
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    If you head west from 7th street, the trail will end at 7th ave. Try heading east, you can go much further.
    Ditto that... Head east and enjoy. It's all rideable although you may encounter some sections that will leave you questioning WHO can ride that. And, it's hard to get lost. The whole trail heads east and west so you are either on the trail going the right direction or you'll wind up on a surface street and can find your return that way if necessary.

Since this is your first ride be prepared to feel completely inadequate. Riding a trail is NOTHING like riding on pavement. Every one of those rocks will steal your energy and momentum.

And, one thing I have to constantly tell the Mrs: "SHIFT!" You've got gears for a reason (I assume you have gears). Don't think that just because that little hill is only 30' long you should muscle through it in a gear you can't turn. You'll only wear yourself out quicker than necessary and get frustrated because you are getting off the bike often. You'll find a cadence in your pedal speed that you are comfortable riding at. Try to keep your pedals at that speed using your gears to keep you there and you'll find it's less tiring on your muscles even though it may wreak havoc on your heart rate for a while.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Thank you both, I will be heading east now. Thank you for the shifting advice, hopefully I will be able to keep that in mind while riding! I am definitely prepared to feel inadequate so I've got that covered haha.

Thanks again !

Meatbomb
    There is more to it than just having a bike to ride. Gear is just as important. Do you have a camelbak or some way of carrying a LOT of water? Spare tubes and tools etc...

Hydrate and ride early !!!!!! like sunrise early

mtbr member
    I'm working on the gear aspect before I take my first plunge until then I am getting reacquainted with my bike, its been about two years since I've been on it. I rode for a bit this morning and wow not going to lie I already feel inadequate.
    I've got a camelbak, multitool, pump, and of course a helmet. I Still need some spare tubes ... And to feel a bit more comfortable riding before I will attempt to get on a trail.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Noell537 View Post
    I've got a camelbak, multitool, pump, and of course a helmet. I Still need some spare tubes ... And to feel a bit more comfortable riding before I will attempt to get on a trail.
    Screw that. Just get out there. When I got back on the bike about 3 years ago it had been close to 10 years off. There's nothing you can do on the pavement that will prepare your for the trail. And you'll learn what you need to, especially shifting, fairly quickly. Every time you get off the bike and have to walk you'll know you were in the wrong gear if your not already in your smallest gear

mtbr member
    Fair enough! I'll just have to get on with it then. my only problem is that my guy friend built me the bike using all his old/spare parts, including his saddle, so my sit bones ( I think is what they're referred.to) were killing right when I started to ride and still hurt today. So I am off to find a proper fitting womens saddle then I'll just have to suck it up and hit a trail and be prepared to walk my bike often.

mtbr member
    would recommend McDowell Mountain Park - Pemberton trail for a newbie.

T100 has some tough sections.Plus all of the rocks will test your seat out for sure.

Go Speed Racer
    Fair enough! I'll just have to get on with it then. my only problem is that my guy friend built me the bike using all his old/spare parts, including his saddle, so my sit bones ( I think is what they're referred.to) were killing right when I started to ride and still hurt today. So I am off to find a proper fitting womens saddle then I'll just have to suck it up and hit a trail and be prepared to walk my bike often.
    I RARELY sit when mountain biking... On the down hills I am off my saddle with my heels down and weight back, and on the climbs I am much more efficient in a higher gear out of the saddle, than "sitting and spinning".

Also, for what it is worth, when I was getting back into the sport a few years ago, I got a lot of great advice from this site (from workouts, nutrition, skill information, equipment advice, etc) www.bikejames.com (I know some on here don't care for it, but it has helped me immensely).

mtbr member
    I may have to check that one out instead then it is a bit far from my house but I am willing to travel if it may be better for my first. Thanks!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mtbdennis;10478183]I RARELY sit when mountain biking... On the down hills I am off my saddle with my heels down and weight back, and on the climbs I am much more efficient in a higher gear out of the saddle, than "sitting and spinning"./QUOTE]

I can appreciate that very much, I can't imagine I will actually be sitting too often. I measured my sit bones (well attempted to) and found I need a 143 and the one I have is 130 so I will definitely be getting a new saddle asap.

Go Speed Racer
    How exactly does one measure their "sit bones"? Wait never mind, I don't want to know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    How exactly does one measure their "sit bones"? Wait never mind, I don't want to know!
    The internet can tell you how to do anything these days!

No Clue Crew
    That's the spirit... FWiW, your butt and taint area is going to hurt no matter what. For a while. You've got most of your weight resting on this little, thinly padded piece of plastic. With rocks causing you to bounce all over it. If I'm off the bike for 3 or 4 weeks my first 2 or 3 rides back hurt all over again. It may take a while but it'll stop hurting. Having a larger saddle should help, though.

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    would recommend McDowell Mountain Park - Pemberton trail for a newbie. T100 has some tough sections. Plus all of the rocks will test your seat out for sure.
    I may have to check that one out instead then it is a bit far from my house but I am willing to travel if it may be better for my first. Thanks!
    If you follow Trail 100 and don't deviate from it there are just a handful of actually tough sections. Only two come to mind: Disneyland and a little spot just east of 7th St that doesn't have a name. But, those are "technically" tough which is completely different than just a grind up like from 32nd St heading west up the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Also, for what it is worth, when I was getting back into the sport a few years ago, I got a lot of great advice from this site (from workouts, nutrition, skill information, equipment advice, etc) www.bikejames.com (I know some on here don't care for it, but it has helped me immensely).
    Bike James has lots of good info and workouts! I just started to get back into my Kettlebell workout from him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Shouldn't have broken up with him until the bike was dialed in!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Shouldn't have broken up with him until the bike was dialed in!
    Haha! He actually hooked it up and had it all tuned, everything was spectacular besides the painful saddle, I just sucked it up then but now I am not so willing to and I had no clue that your arse could be measured for a better fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    If you follow Trail 100 and don't deviate from it there are just a handful of actually tough sections. Only two come to mind: Disneyland and a little spot just east of 7th St that doesn't have a name. But, those are "technically" tough which is completely different than just a grind up like from 32nd St heading west up the trail.
    I'll probably wind up doing Trail 100 just because it is very close to my house and if I dont die i'll check out Pemberton when I recover. Thanks for the warning!

Meatbomb
    Just go early and go slow.... you'll build strength , stamina and a blister on your ass

mtbr member
    isn't there some weekly ride that takes place there?, best if you hook up with someone,
    although there is enough traffic there that someone is likely to find you by the side of the trail sooner or later...
    anyhoo, enjoy.. cheerios!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Haha! He actually hooked it up and had it all tuned, everything was spectacular besides the painful saddle, I just sucked it up then but now I am not so willing to and I had no clue that your arse could be measured for a better fit.
    Sounds amicable.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Kathleen in AZ
    Could be that the saddle just needs adjusting... Most men seem to like the saddle flat or with the nose slightly up. OUCH. I prefer to have the nose slightly down so that all my weight goes on the rear of the saddle when riding seated. Be wary of those women-specific saddles... they are usually WAY too wide and are impossible to get behind once you start getting the skills to rip it going downhill on the steeps.

My recommendation is to try a WTB Rocket V Pro SE. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you! The one that came on my new bike is just not that comfy. And btw, the bike shop installed the saddle on said new bike as the men like... nose up. Hey bike shop folks... us women don't like the nose up unless it's a DH or dirt jumper bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Could be that the saddle just needs adjusting... Most men seem to like the saddle flat or with the nose slightly up. OUCH. I prefer to have the nose slightly down so that all my weight goes on the rear of the saddle when riding seated. Be wary of those women-specific saddles... they are usually WAY too wide and are impossible to get behind once you start getting the skills to rip it going downhill on the steeps.

My recommendation is to try a WTB Rocket V Pro SE. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you! The one that came on my new bike is just not that comfy. And btw, the bike shop installed the saddle on said new bike as the men like... nose up. Hey bike shop folks... us women don't like the nose up unless it's a DH or dirt jumper bike!
    Thanks for the advice! I have been looking at WTB because that is whats on my bike now its just not wide enough (130mm). I will definitely mess around with the angles once I get a new one. Also I couldnt help but notice your signature, two of my good friends foster for ACDR in Flagstaff! Small world eh?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    isn't there some weekly ride that takes place there?, best if you hook up with someone,
    although there is enough traffic there that someone is likely to find you by the side of the trail sooner or later...
    anyhoo, enjoy.. cheerios!
    I am sure someone will find me winded and struggling (or on the ground with a cactus in my face) sooner or later haha!