Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New DH Frame

mtbr member

New DH Frame

I am looking to replace my small Giant Faith (frame is too small) with a dedicated DH bike. Since I am not planning on racing, I am looking for a good all-around DH bike that is confidence inspiring and will handle pretty much everything a short old man would want to ride. I have seen some smoking deals out there for some new frames (2008 Turner DHR, 2009 Intense M6, 2009 Yeti 303R DH, and a 2010 Giant Glory) and a few used frames (2009 Cove Shocker). I would prefer to just pick up a frame since the parts on the Faith are pretty much new. I have read that some DH bikes are purely for racing and you really need the skills to make them perform properly...that's not for me. Any thoughts on which one to pick up???

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Dog
    I am looking to replace my small Giant Faith (frame is too small) with a dedicated DH bike. Since I am not planning on racing, I am looking for a good all-around DH bike that is confidence inspiring and will handle pretty much everything a short old man would want to ride. I have seen some smoking deals out there for some new frames (2008 Turner DHR, 2009 Intense M6, 2009 Yeti 303R DH, and a 2010 Giant Glory) and a few used frames (2009 Cove Shocker). I would prefer to just pick up a frame since the parts on the Faith are pretty much new. I have read that some DH bikes are purely for racing and you really need the skills to make them perform properly...that's not for me. Any thoughts on which one to pick up???

I have been looking around too, and here is what I found.

Ventana El Curevo - $1300 from Go-Ride, 9" travel bike with an Elka stage 5. The bike is very burly, it jumps well, and is an exceptional plow style bike.

Yeti 303 RDH - $1600 form Go-Ride - this is one of my favorite bikes. The rail system requires cleaning and lubing after every ride, but the adjustable geometry is great, and it has no effect on the shock rate. The bike is a very lively, poppy bike that may not be as fast as some others, but probably more fun.

Turner DHR - Hard to beat. This a quality bike with a great reputation. They rarely break, have a simple single pivot that works very well. Good jumping bike.

Knolly Podium - The ultimate bike that has all of the traits of the above listed bikes, at close to double the price. I have a Knolly Endorphin and I am completely sold on the Knolly 4x4 suspension system. It has fantastic small bump compliance, great mid stroke and beautiful ramp up. If cost were no object, this would be the bike I choose.

Hope this helps.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I have been looking around too, and here is what I found.

Ventana El Curevo - $1300 from Go-Ride, 9" travel bike with an Elka stage 5. The bike is very burly, it jumps well, and is an exceptional plow style bike.

Yeti 303 RDH - $1600 form Go-Ride - this is one of my favorite bikes. The rail system requires cleaning and lubing after every ride, but the adjustable geometry is great, and it has no effect on the shock rate. The bike is a very lively, poppy bike that may not be as fast as some others, but probably more fun.

Turner DHR - Hard to beat. This a quality bike with a great reputation. They rarely break, have a simple single pivot that works very well. Good jumping bike.

Knolly Podium - The ultimate bike that has all of the traits of the above listed bikes, at close to double the price. I have a Knolly Endorphin and I am completely sold on the Knolly 4x4 suspension system. It has fantastic small bump compliance, great mid stroke and beautiful ramp up. If cost were no object, this would be the bike I choose.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks tiSS'er. That helps. The Knolly Podium is a little pricey for now. Heavily weighing the DHR and 303R. I heard the El Curevo is a great bike as well.

sixsixtysix
    303R-DH's break, just ask Super Bright Brian from the Wed morning crew. His didn't even last 6 months.

The old Turner DHR is a solid bike, the new ones are just starting to trickle in, but with the 2 year development time in order to keep them in one piece would make me kind of wary.

Knolly - Best of the best quality wise, but you pay the price.

Specialized Demo - New one is one of the most well thought out machines coming for 2011. Old ones, I wouldn't bother since they are all 73/135mm.

Intense - Don't bother, you don't race.

For the money, there really isn't a better bargain on the market right now than the Giant Glory, and you know who has one in a medium just waiting for a good home. Not to mention you could just swap all the parts over from the Faith with the exception of needing a 203mm fork.

mtbr member
    Sixty...any thoughts on the Ventana El Cuervo?

sixsixtysix
    Sixty...any thoughts on the Ventana El Cuervo?
    Nicely built frames, small company, probably clearing them out because they can't sell them, they are kind of dated designs. Plus they are overkill for anything out here at 9" of travel.

mtbr member
    Yeah, It was six months, just about, and a small head tube crack formed. I rode a big hit for a year before. Beat that bike down way harder and no problems. I would go for a demo, the 2011 are SICK. I'm waiting to get one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker86
    Yeah, It was six months, just about, and a small head tube crack formed. I rode a big hit for a year before. Beat that bike down way harder and no problems. I would go for a demo, the 2011 are SICK. I'm waiting to get one

Thanks DH. Any idea when they are being released? I have a feeling my patience will be long gone before they are available.

sixsixtysix
    Thanks DH. Any idea when they are being released? I have a feeling my patience will be long gone before they are available.
    Probably be available after Interbike in Sept.

mtbr member
    Yeah, i think that's what i heard. I don't know the date for sure. I would just keep checking the website.

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    transition blindside

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemike
    transition blindside
    funny . Do you know how many of those frames broke in az? Besides its no where in the class of any of the bikes mentioned
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Clock...you have the DHR don't you? What are your thoughts on a 2008 DHR for someone fat, short, and out of shape? Would it help negate some of my many riding mistakes? Thanks.

******ed or Branded??
    DHR sick bike no matter what year!!! Get one!
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

sixsixtysix
    Clock...you have the DHR don't you? What are your thoughts on a 2008 DHR for someone fat, short, and out of shape? Would it help negate some of my many riding mistakes? Thanks.
    Clock has the DHR from 2 or 3 versions ago, the square tubed one. Couple people have the 08 that ride the shuttles, ABCNorte and DirtGurl come to mind first. You might want to ask them.

Only thing I have ever heard about people having problems with on those is the main pivot bolt coming loose often and it killing the main pivot bearings.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sixty/Doo. My buddy just pointed me to a used 2009 Knolly V-Tach. Obviously more bike that I need, but it is slightly cheaper and would fit my short-term needs. Thoughts?

dirt visionary
    DHR is a soild bike only difference between mine and the round tube style is the round tube is lighter, slacker and i guess has a loose pivit. I love my dhr handle great, poppy and can plow when needed. Even though I have a jedi now I would be a very hard task to pry it from my hands.

Now that I think about it the only thing I dislike about the bike is not being able to run any shock I want. I have the dhx5 with remote res and the only other option is an avalanche.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks Sixty/Doo. My buddy just pointed me to a used 2009 Knolly V-Tach. Obviously more bike that I need, but it is slightly cheaper and would fit my short-term needs. Thoughts?
    That's a heavy-duty freeride frame. About 13-14lbs or so for the frame (while the old delirium T was ~11 with coil shock). It has steeper angles because it's intended for freeriding. Put a real tall fork to slack it out and you'll also have a massive sky-scraper BB height. Not a good bike for general DH riding IMO. It's a dedicated freeride frame, not a dedicated DH frame.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

sixsixtysix
    I really really looked into the V-Tach about a year ago. Here's what I liked, didn't like about it.

Pros:
    Its a Knolly
    4x4 bar Suspension

Cons:
    Its a tank (13lbs+ for frame and shock)
    Its a FR bike (66.5 degree head angle with a 180mm fork, 65.7 degrees with a 203mm fork)

It ended up being nearly identical geometry wise as my Tranny Dirtbag was, which was a great FR bike, but it was not a DH "sled". The weight was what finally made me decide against it for the money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I really really looked into the V-Tach about a year ago. Here's what I liked, didn't like about it.

Pros:
    Its a Knolly
    4x4 bar Suspension

Cons:
    Its a tank (13lbs+ for frame and shock)
    Its a FR bike (66.5 degree head angle with a 180mm fork, 65.7 degrees with a 203mm fork)

It ended up being nearly identical geometry wise as my Tranny Dirtbag was, which was a great FR bike, but it was not a DH "sled". The weight was what finally made me decide against it for the money.
    Yikes, the V-Tach's were really that heavy?
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Yikes, the V-Tach's were really that heavy?

Yup, frame alone with no shock they are almost 12lbs.

dirt visionary
    Holly crap that's more than my old ass dhr frame

mtbr member
    The weight and HA were a concern. Oh well. Any thoughts on a Banshee Legend MKII and/or the Transition TR450?

sixsixtysix
    The weight and HA were a concern. Oh well. Any thoughts on a Banshee Legend MKII and/or the Transition TR450?

Other than the fact that I would steal the Banshee if you bought it. Seriously. You buy one, it will end up in my garage.

Don't bother with Transition, they are way past their prime and aren't the same company they used to be as far as quality, price or customer service.

mtbr member
    Why steal it when you know I will grow tired of DHing and sell it for .10 on the dollar? Have you ridden one? Does it live up to the hype? Is the BB a little low for AZ riding?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast