mtbr member
    Aug 2012

new bike purchase question

I recently just got into mountain biking and purchased a Trek 820 used off CL. I got this as a basic bike to introduce me to the hobby but also didnt want to drop hundreds of dollars on a bike, not knowing if I would stick with it.

I know the best time to buy a bike seems to be at the end of the model year when the LBS will discount the previous model year. Specifically relating to Phoenix, since you can technically ride all year round, about which month would this be?

banned
    Aug 2012
    Now seems to be about right.

I'm in the same spot you're in ... Looking at a new bike very soon, and getting to that 5 post minimum before I can start a thread to ask some basic questions about the Phx. area.

mtbr member
    Model years aren't dictated by geographical location. Ask the shop, but I think most of the new models are coming out about now. It'll be easier to get a hold over if you need an oddball size or don't mind a weird color. If you need an XL or a small bike, you might find something. Medium or large, sucks for you.

If nothing else, just ask the shop, "Hey, what can you do about the price." I saved a couple hundred on my bike with just eight words. That works better if you're in a bigger shop that moves a lot of units. They can have a little more leverage due to volume.

Give it a crank
    Also look through the monthly specials and everything else at Bikes Direct – Bike Shops – Bikes & Bicycle Repair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you like specialized bikes, global bikes in Mesa ( might be Gilbert ) usually has end of yr close outs. I have bought a couple bikes from them for that reason.
    Good luck and welcome to the sport.

mtbr member
    The Bike Den at 43rd ave/Cactus is having a going out of business sale. I think they said Aug 31st is their last day open. I think they carry Giant and Cannondale. If you're in the area, Id imagine they have some deep discounts.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks all for the replies and welcomings. I will definitely check out the bike den next weekend. The 820 isnt bad but definitely not something I want to stick with. Hopefully I will get something better sooner so I am ready for the trails when the weather gets better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Domenic's on Rural/Broadway gave me a solid deal on the my Trek Fuel Ex 8 2011 model.

Stop in and see what last year's models they can order for you...pay in cash and save extra too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    Domenic's on Rural/Broadway gave me a solid deal on the my Trek Fuel Ex 8 2011 model.

Stop in and see what last year's models they can order for you...pay in cash and save extra too!
    yeah I was hoping that would help. I have a certain amount I want to pay...especially this still being an intro bike

Bikes direct does have a Giant 29er for 520...that is really piqued my interest.

mtbr member
    The new 2013 Trek bikes will be out over the next few weeks so if there are any 2012's left they will start to be discounted then too.