banned

New Aerie Trail Celebration Ride

OK, this is what I suggest the ride should be. Due to my old age and having spent the last three days trying to finish the Aerie trail I am worn out, so this is going to be kind of an OLD MAN's celebration ride for me.

What that means is that I am shuttling (with an eight bike trailer) some of this ride and I will direct other more fit riders where I will meet them to continue the ride.

The first section for me will to meet at the Once Cultural Center located on the north side of Hwy 89A and the Upper Red Rock Loop road. The Ledge'n'Airy ride starts at the traffic light on the northwest corner the Hwy 89A and the Upper Red Rock Loop road intersection.

After completing Ledge'n'Airy I will advise riders how to get to the paved Dry Creek Road and the gravel Dry Creek Road intersection where I will be waiting for the hardcore riders to catch up. They will get to that point by riding Easy Rider to Plumber's Crack to Color Cove to Dry Creek paved road to Lower Lizard Head to the gravel Dry Creek Road.

From there we will ride to Lost Watch to Touron to Chuck Wagon to Lost Watch to Mescal to Aerie to the Aerie Development Trail to Cockscomb to Dawa to Az Cypress to Anaconda to Girdner to the shuttle vehicle.

From the shuttle I will drive riders back to the Once Cultural Center where those who have driven there can retrieve their vehicles or they can ride down Special Ed to Pyramid to Witch Doctor to Pyramid to the Red Rock Crossing rode Upper Red Rock Loop rode intersection. If and when we get to the Once Cultural Center drop-off I have any energy left I would join anyone doing the last section if I could get a shuttle out.

Not sure when the ride will start, but the weather looks perfect, so sometime around 9:30 AM or later will work for me. Some riders are coming in from Singapore and will meet up with us after the first Ledge'n'Airy loop which is an in your face techfest. The rest of the ride is more of an advanced intermediate style with some techy sections on Mescal.

TD

trail "cleaner"

I will meet you at the Culteral center

Me and another rider will be coming up from Chavez Ranch road (climbing Herkenham). See you there at 0930!
    No dabs allowed!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    Me and another rider will be coming up from Chavez Ranch road (climbing Herkenham). See you there at 0930!

See you tomorrow, Sunday at 9:30.

banned
    kakachi:

If you made it here from Singapore we are looking forward to riding with you. One of the riders on tomorrow's ride is pushing 58 years old and she is doing a short loop on Ledge'n'Airy. If you want to start earlier with us meet up at the Cultural center at 9:30 AM
    otherwise call me on your phone so I know you will be meeting up at another part of the ride.

TD

mtbr member

The official map...

was sent to me hot off the press from Fatire bike shop. As part of the Aerie kickoff Traildoc will also have his new guidebook for sale and be available to sign the cover. It's available as a handy 3 ring binder with durable cardboard pages and is yours for a token donation: double whopper and fries at BK upon conclusion of the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Aerie Trail Celebration Ride-aerie.jpg  

Last edited by rockman; 08-28-2010 at 09:37 PM.

My other ride is your mom
    This map is useless without the brewery depicted......

mtbr member
    Hey TD I gotta check out by 12pm tmrw so thanks for the invite but not gonna be able to make it as timing is pretty tight.

I will be doing easy ride tmrw- Bell Rock Pathway- HT-Templeton-Baldwin and back.

Have fun guys. I love the Sedona Trails!!!!!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    was sent to me hot off the press from Fatire bike shop. As part of the Aerie kickoff Traildoc will also have his new guidebook for sale and be available to sign the cover. It's available as a handy 3 ring binder with durable cardboard pages and is yours for a token donation: double whopper and fries at BK upon conclusion of the ride.
    Rocky:

Thanks for helping out with the marketing of the new trail. I also posted in NorCal to give them on a headsup on the new trail.

On my way over to the Fat Tire Bike Shop today, I had to stop at BK for my favorite Whopper Jr. To my dismay they have raised the price to $1.29. Rather than stomp out I decided to try the $1.00 Chicken Crisp and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

We will post a video of tomorrows ride ( if I survive) for your viewing pleasure. Hope the ride with your daughter went well. My dad bought me a nice bike (Schwin Two Speed), but never went on a ride with me. I never saw him on a bike.

You have a lucky daugher even though she might not know that yet.

When I was driving over to the Fat Tire on my way to BK there was a cute teenage girl standing on the corner of Walgreens waving a sign that said CAR WASH $5.00. I wish I had taken a picture of her holding her cell phone trying to do a text message. You have to give these kids credit they are definitely multi-taskers. Someday we will probably see her in some ad on the local news.

banned
    The initial feedback from the first time riders on the new trail were very positive. Fortunately my boss who did the routing and micro management flagging came out early this morning and completed the section I failed to complete yesterday.

There has been a threat of rain all day and it sure would be nice to get some moisture on the trail to help with the compaction process and settling of dust on the last 1/4 mile of the trail.

I will be doing a final video and GPS track to give interested riders a better idea as to how to incorporate Aerie into a loop.

Today we started on Ledge'n'Airy and rode to Girdne to Easy Rider to Plumber's Crack to Color Cove to Dry Creek Road to Lost Watch to Mescal to Aerie to Aerie Development Fence trail to Rupp, to AZ Cypress, Anaconda to Girdner to the CAR.

If I had to do it again I would not have dropped down Rupp, but would have stayed high and got on the Cockscomb trail and headed northeast to Dawa to OK to AZ Cypress to the Anaconda Bypass to Anaconda to Girdner.

That routing would have been less climbing and the elevation drop down to the Dry Creek level would have been slower, but more fun due to the trail being less torn up due to the steep fall line nature of Rupp.