Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nemesis...

Two wheels are better

Nemesis...

kicked my ass yesterday (I think that is what the spot is called at Sunrise).

I had been riding well and feeling confident, so I figured I would give Nemesis a try. I did something wrong and the next thing I know I am going over the bars, then I am upside down, then I am smacking into something, then I can't see any more, but I can still feel myself hitting things and getting tossed around, then everything is still and I am lying face down in the dirt and everything hurts.

As I lie there I can hear the people in lift screaming "Oh my god, he isn't moving! Rider down! Someone help! He isn't moving!"

Not wanting them to freak out I wave a little to let them know I am not dead.

It took me a few minutes but I finally was able to get myself together, get my bike and get down the mountain.

My friend Dave, who was down by the lift at the time, said he was by a family who saw the accident. He said the wife kept yelling "Oh my god, he isn't getting up, oh my god he isn't getting up." He didn't realize at the time they were talking about me.

I drank a beer and attempt to get back on the bike, but my left elbow had decided it no longer wanted to move. That was the end of my Sunrise day trip.

I took the lift back to the top just to hang out and met some guys who saw the accident. They said it looked pretty gnarly. They said the scariest part was that as I flipped head over feet my back slammed into that big rock that is jutting out of the ground at the bottom. I guess it is a good thing I had my compression suit on.

Anyway, today I am typing with one hand and glad that ultimately it was just a busted elbow and a few bruises and nothing else. I am also wondering how I know if I need a new helmet? Mine has some long gauges in the side, but I don't see any cracks in the foam. Thoughts?
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

mtbr member
    That is a unforgiving spot. I have eatin ***** there numerouse times, but also cleaned more. You def need to be on your A game in that section. The overhead lift is a distraction, checking to see if any Peeps are on it and not checking whats in front of you. Got a tiny bone broke in my hand from that spot last visit. Oh well, good times.
    JRA

Shred...it's the new drug
    if your helmet looks scratched or cracked or dented...you need a new helmet...especially after a digger like that. Good to hear you're iight...

slow uphill
    Glad to hear it wasn't worse, but part of me also wishes you had a GoPro on...

But seriously, glad it was just an elbow and not worse.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Still didn't get back up there this weekend. It took me three tries but I cleaned that spot last time. I want to get back and see if I was lucky or if I have it dialed. I'm shooting for next weekend.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    my first trip to sunrise i said F'it and cleaned that thing 3 for 3 times. my friends, who are better tech riders than me crashed alot. my secret was point and hang on. over-thinking it and "choosing" a line seems to guarantee failure.

!@#$%&!
    Is that the near vertical spot at the end by the lift? Gnarly spot for sure. I walked about halfway down last weekend but don't have the nerve to try it all yet. Good on ya for going for it!

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    Glad you came out to fight another day. I looked at that line all last season. This year my first attempt ended in a OTB roll in the last section. I missed any lift spectators, but a few saw it from the parking lot. I then got right back on it and dabbed the last section twice. The following trip nailed it several times in a row. I would never underestimate "Nemesis" even if I cleaned 100 times. My current new Nemesis is the "Happy Ending" on Private Reserve in Flag. I Pussed out Friday after looking at it too long. Next time I'm rolling right into it with my game face on.

mtbr member

i took a slightly different way down each time (not by choice)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sorry to hear about the elbow! Glad it wasn't worse though ...

Just Joshin' ya!
    Saw that line today at Sunrise and avoided it. Took the girlfriend line instead. Collin took Nemesis and supposedly crashed.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Two wheels are better
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    Glad to hear it wasn't worse, but part of me also wishes you had a GoPro on...
    I wish someone had caught it on tape too... based on the stories, it would have been a good vid
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Saw that line today at Sunrise and avoided it. Took the girlfriend line instead. Collin took Nemesis and supposedly crashed.
    Yup. OTB'd. I'm sure it looked gnarly, but nothing broke. I wanted to hit it again, but it was puring rain by the time we returned. Now I'm 2 for 4. Sags.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Heh... this girlfriend prefers the Nemisis line! Still hoping to make it up to Sunrise this year...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I was literally cleaning that thing 100% of the time week after week until my first crash on it last year. Now I can't get down it anymore. It's a mindf**k.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abcnorte
    My current new Nemesis is the "Happy Ending" on Private Reserve in Flag.
    That is an insane section! I checked out private this weekend and pussed out on that part also. The girlfriend route is harder than the actual line, found out the hard way of course.

I had a horrible introduction to Nemesis also... it has claimed a few bruises and a broken deraileur hanger from myself. Seemed at first everytime I took it, I slammed into that rock at the end and allowing a superman'ed somersault off that cliff. Smart move wearing that pressure suit.

mtbr member
    Looks like it would be a challenging section to climb. I need to get out there and do some
    climbing!
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Looks like it would be a challenging section to climb. I need to get out there and do some
    climbing!
    I want some of that right about now! It's been 103F/40% humid here.

mtbr member
    If you can peel your eyes OFF the giant boulder that you are sliding into at the bottom, it usually works out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blue109

i took a slightly different way down each time (not by choice)

Very disappointing to see that sweet section getting BLOWN out.

Can totally relate with how hard them rocks are, I knocked a boulder loose last season, sure glade I had my suit on. As a mater of fact its that F'en rock that the right foot in this pic is almost touching, nice lill spine F'er left a mark for sure on me.

Gonna be up there this weekend. Probably be sticking to all the fire roads, been a while since I rode a bike

mtbr member
    the mini demo line is always the best choice.

Mike-e
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    the mini demo line is always the best choice.
    When's the mini demo gonna make it up there? I've got some real demo lines to show you...

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokenspokesSteve-o
    Very disappointing to see that sweet section getting BLOWN out.

Can totally relate with how hard them rocks are, I knocked a boulder loose last season, sure glade I had my suit on. As a mater of fact its that F'en rock that the right foot in this pic is almost touching, nice lill spine F'er left a mark for sure on me.

Gonna be up there this weekend. Probably be sticking to all the fire roads, been a while since I rode a bike
    steveo is alive!!!! woooooo-hoooooo!!!!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Mike-e]When's the mini demo gonna make it up there? I've got some real demo lines to show you...[/QUOTE

I didn't realize there was an option of not hucking nemesis.
    Seriously, I want to go so bad I can feel it in my tummy sticks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast