mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Need some trail advice for Newport Beach CA area.

I am headed over that way next week and bringing the bike. Just wanted to see if there were any can't miss trails in that area. Thanks is advance.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    In this order:
    Aliso Wood Canyon
    Laguna Wilderness Park
    El Moro
    All three of these are 5-10 minutes from NPB
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

Saucy Size Moderator
    When I was out there last summer, I drove up to Moro. It's pretty nice! Getting to the decent singletrack (and there's a pretty good selection) means a pretty big uphill slog from the ocean, but you climb up and out of the marine layer and it's very neat. There's a very tricky little segment called Rattlesnake Trail, IIRC, and it cuts kind of down the middle of the park, but the rest of the singletrack is as far west as you can get, before you hit the highway. Very worthy, but none of it is especially long or tough (other than that Rattlesnake bit).
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I would post this in the SoCal region. You might even get a guide. At minimum, a lot more detail.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    I would post this in the SoCal region. You might even get a guide. At minimum, a lot more detail.
    Great idea and also include type of trails you ride at home and for how long. you should also mention the kind of bike you will be on. In OC we have gnar to flow. So all the information you can post will be helpful.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I concur with Aliso and El Moro... But Aliso gets crowded and El Moro can take a little bit of study to get on the best trails. Best bet is Santiago Oaks at the top of Jamboree Rd., which was rebuilt for mountain bikes a couple of years ago and has some of the best flow and technical terrain in the region. SoCalTrailRiders.org had a ski style map for Oaks.

If you can drive and want something a little more epic, try Holy Jim in Trabuco Canyon. If you are a big XC fan, climb to Santiago Peak via Harding or Maple Springs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bring flippers for the wedge!Name:  wedge2.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  34.9 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the info! I posted on SoCal thread as well and have gotten a ton of good information. Now I just wish I had more time to hit them all.

mtbr member
    The Pie Lady is officially closed. They've put the 'Area Closed' sign up and are blocking entry. M.Callendar I don't hit much but, I'm told they are consolidating things on the sgltrk 'scorecard' and Lizard and Erection are next. DH'ers on Erection have been getting hassled a lot by Rangers, tho I've yet to see/hear anything on Lizard.

I did see the same crew that was doing the trail blocking on Marie C. at the bottom of Laurel Spur, parked between the Lizard entry and that sgltrk just above it. This will suck bigtime when they close Lizard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    We rode out behind Laguna beach area this summer when I was there. I believe it was called top of the world? Cool area. Great ocean views.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13 View Post
    I concur with Aliso and El Moro... But Aliso gets crowded and El Moro can take a little bit of study to get on the best trails. Best bet is Santiago Oaks at the top of Jamboree Rd., which was rebuilt for mountain bikes a couple of years ago and has some of the best flow and technical terrain in the region. SoCalTrailRiders.org had a ski style map for Oaks.

If you can drive and want something a little more epic, try Holy Jim in Trabuco Canyon. If you are a big XC fan, climb to Santiago Peak via Harding or Maple Springs.
    I second Santiago Oaks nice climbs and great singletrack, I'd say best in OC - Bumble Bee and Chutes are my favorite. El Moro and Aliso kind of sucks, not much singletrack - just wide ass roads and super hilly. Exploring Modjeska Canyon can be rewarding but it's some wild stuff there, HAB and pumas await.

Whiting Ranch is short but there are few sweet descents..

Anyway, check out this blog for great info

MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures