parenting for gnarness

Need some Telluride help - shot in the dark

yeah i know this is AZ, but with no disrespect to the CO forum, it does not seem to me to be nearly as active as this one based on responses to my post over there. For all the varying opinions on policies here, we are a much more engaged and small community.

Anywho, back to Telluride. Cesslinger has helped me out big time with a route from the top of the Gondola -> See Forever -> Wasatch Connector -> Wasatch-> Bear Creek. Looks like about 2k climbing, 4k descending, ~2 hrs moving in ~10 miles based on his gpx.

I have this idea to continue on Wasatch into Bridal Veil Basin, then down past Bridal Veil Falls back into town. It will add a second ridgeline to the route, and will make the ride more like 4k climbing, 6k descending, and 16 miles. Anyone have any info? Is this just plain stupid?? I'll be alone so dont want it to become a deathmarch. I'm not too worried about tech as either route will have the same hard parts. I've got gpx and familiar with some of the route from hiking it.

So, any one who's tried Tride or knows anyone there?? I've got a contact in town, but not sure if I will be able to sync up - friend of a friend who works nights sorta thing.

either way, i hope to get some good pics to share. thank you.

banned
    Well, I bet your best chance of success is to find the oldest guy that is building trail on the Mountain Village bike park. He was the one that informed us of the Wasatch connector and he said that he has done xc in the area for a decade or something like that.

Anyways, he might be your best bet once you get there. Sounds cool and I did see more single track going in different directions at the intersections.

Losing Ground
    Latitude 40 Degrees maps are supposed to be pretty good. Used for Colorado Endurance Series. http://www.latitude40maps.com/tso.html

banned
    So Cholla... what went down on your trip?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    So Cholla... what went down on your trip?
    in Tride, I did the jump park for 5 runs before getting totally rained out, next day did the Wasatch Connector loop that you suggested. WOW!!! I cant believe you guys did it having to start by pushing DH bikes up that monster hill. .3 miles, 400 vf right out of the gondola. The climb took me 1 hr, 1500 vf, I rode about 1.5 miles of the 2.2 miles. We hiked it 2 days before with the kids (pushing a jogging stroller up that was effin hard) but i knew what I was getting into.

I did not find the DH too hard - challegning, but not techy gnar like SOMO. a few talas patches were sketchy so i walked, and a few spots i was just not sure if it was rideable so walked. But mostly was just tight, rocky and beautiful. Switchbacks were no biggie after riding Tom's Thumb and 620. I took a bajillion photos. I'll post some up in a separate thread with some Durango and Ouray pics too. Thanks again for the suggestion and gpx track. I cant wait to go back, free gondola was so cool. I wish i could have hit the jump park more, but had to go with the family flow.

banned
    Awesome!

Glad you enjoyed it. Tride is a goldmine of mountain biking wrapped up in one tiny place.

Did the gondola's stop when it was raining? We got rained out of one run but waited 20 min for the rain to stop and then got super sloppy. The baby poo berms were one of the highlights of our trip.

Yes, that initial hab sucked hard. We didn't even take the trail, we just started hoofing it up the ski slope. 20 steps then a short breather until we hit the fire road, which was much better.

Can't wait to see the pics.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Awesome!

Glad you enjoyed it. Tride is a goldmine of mountain biking wrapped up in one tiny place.

Did the gondola's stop when it was raining? We got rained out of one run but waited 20 min for the rain to stop and then got super sloppy. The baby poo berms were one of the highlights of our trip.

Yes, that initial hab sucked hard. We didn't even take the trail, we just started hoofing it up the ski slope. 20 steps then a short breather until we hit the fire road, which was much better.

Can't wait to see the pics.
    there is so much more there for pretty much any type of riding you want. even a long river trail that next time we'll take the kids on. my wife ran it from the base of Bridal Veil falls out way past town and back - said it was awesome.

gondola stopped during the rain, but when it reopened i decided i was done. i went OTB during the rainy run on something i'd cleaned 3 times in a row, traction in that steep muddy stuff went to hell and i bashed the top of my helmet into a rock. figured it was time to quite.

the ski slope was easier in places cause you could get traction, all the gravel on the dirt road was slippery pushing up. major props to you for doing it with the heavier bikes.