Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need some direction in Prescott

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  El_Bendejo 
#1 ·
Hey Az mtbrs, I'm in Prescott for the week on a family trip and I am going to sneak in a ride or two. I picked up one of the very detailed city of Prescott maps in town, but other than generalities I was able to get very detailed routes from the shop I was at. So if any one can throw some routes out for me, that would be much appreciated.
What am I looking for? Distance wise, my upper limit is 30 miles. Other than that all I'm really looking for are some ripping descents, if possible some features, technical would be cool too. I have no problem earning my turns, I just want to make sure once I make it to the bottom, I'm short on breath, and I have a giant grin from ear to ear. Cheers, and thanks for any help you can give!

#2 ·
I'm not really from the area, family has a house there though and I spent a couple weeks wondering around.

Try Trail 305 1st. It's on the road to Lynx lake. Big parking area on Walker road but I think the sign says its for trail 62. Anyways its an easy climb up to the top of the trail and a really fun DH back. You can ride the road to the top also and loop it that way.

I'd have to dig a little for the trails. They aren't named its just a bunch of random #'s.

Oh and there is a fun little DJ area behind Costco if you're into that stuff.

#3 ·
307 loop has pretty cool descent. Starts up off Senator Hwy. Go clockwise from the trailhead. The climb is tough and will have some HAB, but worth the descent. Not super long, but not easy traileither. Wolverton is pretty cool descent too 9415 is the trail. Pretty much anything listed in black is going to be pretty good. Hard, but good. Not much flats in Prescott. Most trails are always climbing to descending. Also Granite Basin area has some good fast flowy stuff too.

Reactions: Todd Sour
#6 ·
For a fun ride with some fast descent I'd recommend 305 up and continue onward to Smith Ravine(directly across the road at the toil of 305). You don't have to climb all the way up Smith to the lookout road, just to the point where you first start to descend into the "ravine" then head back down. Smith is a fast descent with some berms and jumps. Nothing big, just fun stuff.

#10 ·
Good morning and thanks for the Intel all! I've decided on heading south this morning towards link lake and taking on JoePAz's big ride. I'll probably do a status check before I head up to the lookout and decide to hit the 307 loop, or just head down smith ravine towards 305.

I appreciate the invite RobZona but that will be our last night here, so it will be reserved for family time. I may go hit granite basin early in the morning since I'm staying in Williamson Valley. And I definitely going to try an squeeze in a pump track session this afternoon.
And a side note, I heard there is a brewery off of iron springs past the Iron Springs Cafe, good liquid there?

#12 ·
Went great. I ended up cutting out the 307 loop.
I forgot to take into account being a mile high. I'm coming from the Nor Cal coast. Add that to the 34×36 climbing gear I have on my 1x10 and the first 1000 ftr up old ranch really put me into the red. Other than that it was fun.
I really love the trail composition. It looks loose, but it's not really that dusty and tires held grip really well.
The new ranch connecter was fun. Rolly, nice turns, some off camber to jeep you on point. Climbing that moto trail was gnarly. I Def hike a biked a few sections cause of how loose it was, but it did have some fun speedy descents.
Smith ravine was Def worth the pain. Fast, ledges to boost, those flat turns covered in chaparral were super fun. I only hit the lips where I could spot the landing, at that point I was throwing everything into the pedals and wasn't planning on doubling back any sections.
305 was fun too, but by the time I got to the bottom of the main 305 descent I was gassed. Cruised down to the lake and took a dip. By the time I got home I wasn't even thinking about riding the next day.
I'm for sure looking forward to riding in Prescott again.
Here's my strava segment from the day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/347395219

Thanks again for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.