mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Need some advice on a bike purchase

Here are the facts. I'm buying my first single speed. I have never even ridden a single speed. After some research I have narrowed it down to two options.

Bike 1. $500 Great frame. Has good reviews online and people really seem to like it. The components are stock and probably no bueno.

Bike 2. $1500 Also a great frame and has an equally good reputations. However, everything has been upgraded including bars, stem, cranks, wheels, tires, brakes, and seat post.

About me. I have a sweet FS ride. This is a second bike that I absolutely do not "need". I never expected to pay much over $800, so the $1500 is a real stretch with my student budget.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    both are new? almost impossible to say with out a parts list. Fork, brakes, and wheels are important and most expensive.
    b

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Both are used. I don't want to get into the details because that can tend to muddy the issue, which is buy cheap and upgrade later or spend more for a bike that is good to go.

parenting for gnarness
    if you dont like the ride, buying cheap is no good. But, for an extra bike esp. something like a SS where you've never tried it, going in cheaper is much easier to justify.

mtbr member
    $500 bike.... because you will spend another $1000 on either within a year or two ..
    tires, tubes/stan's, degreaser/lube, chains, etc.

Don't be one like those people that buy luxury cars and then cannot afford the maintenance...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If they are both used, buy the cheaper one. That way you will have money to fix that issue that the seller failed to mention to you.

mtbr member
    I understand on not muddying the issue. My point echo's cholla's.....if cheap is really bad then there is no point it going cheap. might make you hate SS. my SS is much cheaper than my FS rig, but for me a quality front fork is the most critical thing after the frame (geo/ride quality). so the cheap vs. expensive completely would depend on what I get for the $500 or $1500.
    b

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    spend the money now.. Ive always found it difficult to upgrade later.

I love bike!
    If you've never ridden SS I wouldn't gamble and pay $1500. I'm in the same situation and have both a nice FS and a SS. Absolutely love each bike for what they are but that's me. Not everyone likes SS. Unless you don't think you'd have a problem unloading the more expensive bike on someone else just in case I wouldn't take a chance. Ride a SS first (on a trail preferably) and then decide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    spend the money now.. Ive always found it difficult to upgrade later.
    I think you are in minority, most bikers I know have no problems blowing money on endless upgrades.

Ahhh the pain....
    I went through some very similar gyrations about 3 years ago. I ended up buying an expensive frame (~$1500) and put mid level components on it. However, since I was not sure I was up for SSing, the frame I bought had a dropout with a d-hanger; thus, I could use gears if I wanted.
    In the end, I upgraded almost everything except the frame and wheels after about a year or so.
    However, in the mean time, I bought a Haro Mary SS that I keep in another city (where I frequently travel to for business). It was $400 although I took some parts from my parts bin and put them on it. I basically set it up (dimensionally) like my expensive bike. I've gotta say, it's still a joy to ride although it's probably 3-4 lbs heavier and a rigid fork.
    So, bottom line, give yourself options...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I think you are in minority, most bikers I know have no problems blowing money on endless upgrades.
    Not me. I run what I buy into the ground, then replace/upgrade as needed. I just try to keep up on the maintenance so things last longer.
    Admittedly, I am cheap and a bit of a hoarder; I have 10-20 flat road tubes hanging in my garage just in case I ever need them or their presta valves form something.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm going to pull the trigger on more expensive bike. It is essentially brand new (1-2 rides), was build by my LBS owner, and he upgraded all of the components for his own personal use. The bike is a Cannondale Trail SL. He replaced the bars, headset, cranks, grips, seat post, wheels, breaks, and tires. He is also taking off the rigid fork and adding a Rock Shock Recon. All that and a tubeless setup on the tires. I think for $1500 that is pretty reasonable. If I don't like it, I should be able to get most of my investment back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Both are used. I don't want to get into the details because that can tend to muddy the issue, which is buy cheap and upgrade later or spend more for a bike that is good to go.
    Sounds like you already have your mind made up. If it helps, I bought a hard-tail frame and built it up and spent a ton of money on it...only to find out I really don't have a need for a hard tail. Now I have a bunch of parts on a bike that is rapidly diminishing in value while it mostly collects dust in the shed. I'd say go cheap, see if you really like it and then cough up the dough for something nice...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    On a SS there is not much to upgrade that really matters. Go for the better frame and wheel option. Those will make the difference.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    On a SS there is not much to upgrade that really matters. Go for the better frame and wheel option. Those will make the difference.
    ^^this.

Also, do some research on the frame set up in terms of chain tensioning. There are really two options: horizontal dropouts or EBB. My first SS--Haro Mary--had an EBB that was, to be blunt, a POS. I dropped $100 (1/4 of what I paid for the entire bike) for a Bushnell BB.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I'll take neither..... love the HACS set up on my Black Sheep:-)
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Ahhh the pain....
    I've got sliders on my Lynskey...been flawless after figuring out how to set them up. (anti-gal, better bolt kit, proper torque, letting wheel settle before closing QR).
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/