mtbr member

Need a little bike advice from my fellow AZ riders

Ok so I'm basically torn on what to do here. My mind is stuck between the 2013 specialized stumpy fsr 29er comp and the 2013 specialized camber comp 29er. Camber would be about 300'ish dollars cheaper. Builds are pretty similar on both bikes. So what would be ideal for our Phoenix area trails?? Pretty sure the travel on the camber would be more than enough but I'm still thinking about the stumpy. I ride things like Sonoran, white tanks, FINS, BCT, McDowell, stuff like like. So help me pull the trigger one way or another! For what it's worth, my current ride is a stumpy 29er HT. thanks guys and gals

Ahhh the pain....
    Honestly, both bikes would work great for what you list. If you think you'll become interested in more technical trails, then the stumpy would be more suitable.
    However, since you asked... I have to ask why buy Specialized? Don't get me wrong, I think they make really well engineered bikes that will work very well. However, there are many more options where you'll get more for your money. For example, Salsa Spearfish, Kona Hei Hei, etc. Matter of fact, you can get a Salsa Spearfish 1 which comes w/ Stans wheels, 142 x 12mm Maxle rear, and a x9/x0 drivetrain for around 3600. Even the next step down to a Spearfish 2, which still comes with the Stans Wheels is $2700.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. You mentioned "more technical" trails being a consideration, and that made me think. I go up to big bear fairly often and ride snow summit, and I'm sure the stumpy would be much better for that type of riding. As far as why I want a specialized? Not sure how to answer that. I guess because they have worked well for me in the past, and the LBS that sells them has been really good to me and I trust him. I had a kona hei hei that I sold, geometry just felt "off" and I never could get it right. May have been too big for me but that's a whole other conversation . Ill look into the salsa bikes, and have also been looking into airborne as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. You mentioned "more technical" trails being a consideration, and that made me think. I go up to big bear fairly often and ride snow summit, and I'm sure the stumpy would be much better for that type of riding. As far as why I want a specialized? Not sure how to answer that. I guess because they have worked well for me in the past, and the LBS that sells them has been really good to me and I trust him. I had a kona hei hei that I sold, geometry just felt "off" and I never could get it right. May have been too big for me but that's a whole other conversation . Ill look into the salsa bikes, and have also been looking into airborne as well
    I think you should get the best bike you possibly can for your money. I also think the Stumpjumper would have a higher resale value than Camber. In your case, I would negotiate for the Stumpjumper and bring the $300 difference down. Don't let them tell you it can't be done! Now is a great time to buy. Good luck!
    -boom

mtbr member
    maybe not the most popular bike shop... but I have bought 2 new specialized bikes and Global Bikes have given me the best prices...

just saying...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

No Clue Crew
    Since we are throwing out names hit up the guys at DNA Cycles for your Specialized needs. When I was looking for a Pitch I went to Global in Mesa and Excellent Bikes. Both had the same price of $1350 on the 2010 Pitch (it was Jan of '11) and said that was their bottom dollar. DNA had a store that was 10 minutes from my home so I checked with them and without even batting an eye they beat that price and have been an awesome group of guys to work with on service when needed and just shooting the sh|t sometimes.

mtbr member
    I second DNA Cycles (Scottsdale location). I ended up getting a used Giant, but the guys in there were really nice. They put up with my 3 & 5 year olds riding bikes all through the store, and my 1 year old walking around like a mad person, all while helping me with the bikes I was looking at. And they gave me and my 2 olders a water bottle...which we still use.
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Since we are throwing out names hit up the guys at DNA Cycles for your Specialized needs. When I was looking for a Pitch I went to Global in Mesa and Excellent Bikes. Both had the same price of $1350 on the 2010 Pitch (it was Jan of '11) and said that was their bottom dollar. DNA had a store that was 10 minutes from my home so I checked with them and without even batting an eye they beat that price and have been an awesome group of guys to work with on service when needed and just shooting the sh|t sometimes.
    you must be prettier than me DNA loves the beautiful people.. .

I bought my stumpjumper comp last September, and DNA wouldn't budge on price and Global did... I guess every situation is different...

I do still shop at DNA... and will still give them the chance to beat prices..

The Original Suspect
    I have mixed reviews about Global. On the one hand they gave a buddy a good deal on a bike and they were willing to drop 10% on some shoes for me, but I brought my Spec Camber in to have a couple links removed from a new chain and have new rear mech dialed the day before the 12 hours in the Papago race. Bike rode great in the parking lot when I tested the shifting, but about half way through the race, after multiple chain drops, my chain was threaded wrong through the rear mech resulting in the necessity of a new chain and a severely worn area on my new XT derailleur.

Moral of the story...don't have their mechanics work on your bike.

mtbr member
    I sold my Stumpy last year and bought a carbon Camber Comp. The Camber is a quicker responding and better handling bike in my opinion. I have Project 321 hub/Stans Arch wheelset built by Dave Thomas that I kept from the Stumpy and installed on the Camber. I even had the fork and shock rebuilt and custom tuned on the Stumpy and still get a better ride out of the Camber. 4" of travel on a 29r is more than enough for the vast majority of the trails around here. I have a DH bike for the rest.

However, everyone's personal ride preferences vary, I suggest riding both and buy the one that you enjoy riding more. My Camber is a medium frame, if you cannot find a Camber to demo, hit me up and you can ride mine.

mtbr member

I ride a Camber - got a friend that rides a Stumpy. The travel on the stumpy is overkill for the trails mentioned, unless you want an incredibly plush ride. Coming from a ht stumpy even the travel on the camber is going to feel out of this world. It's a little bit pricey but in the future I plan on switching my Camber out with an Epic - for what it's worth, that might be the best bike for what your are riding.

mtbr member
    All the trails you mentioned - HT is more than enough.
    If you MUST get a new bike I would consider more travel separation between the bikes - so I would go with stumpy - this way you can use HT on the easy trails and stumpjumper on much harder trails... that is if you are planning on riding more technical stuff - this way you will have a right bike for most situations.

Camber and Stump HT - there is just isn't enough travel difference, you will end up riding one bike or the other most of the time.... My prediction is that you will come back to the HT. I know I did.

mtbr member
    Walmart. Mongoose. Nothing else.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I ended up picking the stumpy. Figured its what I've always talked about getting, will leave the possibility of getting into more "technical" riding open more, and the upgrade in suspension and brakes was worth it for me. Now I just gotta wait for it to get here!!

mtbr member
    I say good choice. I'm a little late to the conversation, but whatever. True, a hardtail is adequate on all the mentioned trails, but the stumpy is as close to a 'do it all' bike as you can get. Plenty of travel to go down National, light and comfortable enough to do long distance races.
    Side note, I hate these new bike threads. I can't wait to get a new bike.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I say good choice. I'm a little late to the conversation, but whatever. True, a hardtail is adequate on all the mentioned trails, but the stumpy is as close to a 'do it all' bike as you can get. Plenty of travel to go down National, light and comfortable enough to do long distance races.
    Side note, I hate these new bike threads. I can't wait to get a new bike.
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Sure the HT was "enough," but the stumpy is awesome all around. Can't wait till she comes in

Got a suspension fork
    There is a veritable huge list of great bike companies out there, hell you can even get a Vassago which comes out of our very own Phx area. I would urge you to look at and maybe give your business to one of the many great bike companies out there other than the big boys like Specialized, Giant, and Cannondale. Most people want these bikes because they are told that they want them as a result of their enormous marketing campaigns.

Help out the smaller bike companies that also put out terrifically engineered bikes, are often actually a better value bike, and hey it's not something that everybody else rides - that's always cool. God every time I go for a road ride, I swear I see more effing Specialized Tarmac's out there it makes me sick - be original.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    There is a veritable huge list of great bike companies out there, hell you can even get a Vassago which comes out of our very own Phx area. I would urge you to look at and maybe give your business to one of the many great bike companies out there other than the big boys like Specialized, Giant, and Cannondale. Most people want these bikes because they are told that they want them as a result of their enormous marketing campaigns.

Help out the smaller bike companies that also put out terrifically engineered bikes, are often actually a better value bike, and hey it's not something that everybody else rides - that's always cool. God every time I go for a road ride, I swear I see more effing Specialized Tarmac's out there it makes me sick - be original.
    If you are looking for a complete full suspension bike, Vassago is a terrible choice, well engineered or not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If you are looking for a complete full suspension bike, Vassago is a terrible choice, well engineered or not.
    LOL - yes for FS that is rather accurate. Not so much for HT.

If it's FS he has to have, and maintain, there are still wonderful bikes that are great values that don't have the big names plastered on the downtubes.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    If you have not been to Airpark Bikes go, it is like a museum and the owner will beat nearly anyprice in town. VERY cool place. And my .02 is get the Pivot 429carbon it is the best bike I have ridden, even does SoMo well for a 29er. Local company to boot!

mtbr member
    I think the urge-ing and recommending is over , he bought a stumpjumper...

I own a stumpy HT, its a nice bike and climbs like a goat... You'll like it

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I think the urge-ing and recommending is over , he bought a stumpjumper...

I own a stumpy HT, its a nice bike and climbs like a goat... You'll like it
    Ha yup I went with the stumpy. Still cool to hear other thoughts on bikes however . Now all I gotta do is pray my HT sells before the new bike shows up! 😁