banned

Need Help With Motorcasa Rear Brakes

My wife and I arrived in Grand Junction, CO recently and my rear brakes started squeaking. I have a 1999 Ford F550 chassis and was wondering if anyone has changed pads before on this type of vehicle? I purchased pads at O'Reilly's and I am having trouble getting the dual tires off the rear hub.

mtbr member
    What do you mean by having trouble? Can't break the lug nuts loose or can't get the wheel off?

I can't really help but a 10,000 lb RV and cheap pads from O'Reilly's might not be a good combo. You might want to take it to a mechanci so they can at least check disc thickness or at least turn the discs and take the glaze off. Or, do you have rear drum brakes?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    What do you mean by having trouble? Can't break the lug nuts loose or can't get the wheel off?

I can't really help but a 10,000 lb RV and cheap pads from O'Reilly's might not be a good combo. You might want to take it to a mechanci so they can at least check disc thickness or at least turn the discs and take the glaze off. Or, do you have rear drum brakes?
    Rock:

The motorcasa is 16,000 lbs. I got the rear nuts off, but the 19.5" wheels seem to be rusted onto the rear hub. I sprayed around the contact point with PB blaster and an hoping to pull wheels off after it penetrates awhile.

I like to do these kind of projects to learn a new trade in case I have to go back to work. The rotor surface looks ok and since it's the rear brakes and I am not getting any pedal pulse I think it will be fine when I get the new pads on.

Thanks for your help:

Meatbomb
    Time to break out the BFH !

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Time to break out the BFH !
    Phillbo:

I did as you said and put some BFH on the contact points. How long does it usually take for the wheels to loosen up? I can't leave Grand Junction until I replace the pads. Thanks for the tip.

TD

banned
    OK, I think Phillbo was pulling my leg, so I decided to try an idea I came up with. I loosened all eight of the lug nuts about a 1/4" from the outside of the rim and drove the motorcasa about 100'. I then jacked up the rear wheel and was able to wiggle both wheels. Hopefully I can get the wheels off now.

TD

mtbr member
    I usually like to "mule kick" around the tire to break the wheel loose. If it doesn't work, like you said drive on the wheels with the lugs slightly loose. Make sure the threads on your wheel studs didn't get jacked in the process!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I usually like to "mule kick" around the tire to break the wheel loose. If it doesn't work, like you said drive on the wheels with the lugs slightly loose. Make sure the threads on your wheel studs didn't get jacked in the process!
    woahey:

I initially did lot of kicking and pulling and trying to drive a 20" screw driver between the two wheels. I have finally gotten the wheels off and have pulled the inner caliper off the outer part. I have used a five gallon bucket to lay the caliper on. Now I need to move the dual pistons into the caliper body. Got any suggestions?

Two Mormon missionaries stopped by on their bikes and asked if they ccould help. I asked them if they did brake jobs and they said no, so I asked them to pray for me.

Shovel Ready
    C Clamp or clamps.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    woahey:

I initially did lot of kicking and pulling and trying to drive a 20" screw driver between the two wheels. I have finally gotten the wheels off and have pulled the inner caliper off the outer part. I have used a five gallon bucket to lay the caliper on. Now I need to move the dual pistons into the caliper body. Got any suggestions?

Two Mormon missionaries stopped by on their bikes and asked if they ccould help. I asked them if they did brake jobs and they said no, so I asked them to pray for me.
    Sure. Leave your old pads in and use a c-clamp to compress the pistons. If you crack the cap open on your brake fluid reservoir it wont fight you as much. Make sure you clean any spilled fluid quick 'cause that sh!t eats through paint in no time.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sure. Leave your old pads in and use a c-clamp to compress the pistons. If you crack the cap open on your brake fluid reservoir it wont fight you as much. Make sure you clean any spilled fluid quick 'cause that sh!t eats through paint in no time.
    Ive done this before. It works.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    woahey

I got the pistons retracted with the C-clamp and the rest was a piece of cake. Thanks everyone for your help you guys are the best.