mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Need Advice in Tempe, AZ

Hey All,
    I need a new bike, my Cannondale Jekyll 1000 was stolen last week and I really want to ride again. I'm not a serious rider and have no idea what to get. I want something used if possible and only have $400-$750 to spend. I have been looking at Santa Cruz Bullit and a Titus Quasi Moto but haven't found anything that really fits me. I'm 6'2" and about 230 #'s. Hardtail is ok. I just want something trouble free. If anyone has something for sale please let me know. I'm just going to use it for rides around town, Payson and Pinetop; mostly urban stuff. I guess I'm looking for an all around freeride bike.

Thanks,
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Just watch craigslist Always offer less to start

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bik/907624449.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My problem is that I have no idea what to look for. The last bike had was all XT, are XT Compenents still decent? I'm an idiot when it comes to bikes, I can barely fix a flat tire, lol. Is that F29 tall enough for me?

im4Gsus
    i'm selling a 2-yr old full suspension 29er astrix monk, large frame.

pm me with email address if interested.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Too many Sedonuts...
    Come to the bike swap this weekend and you'll have more advice and cheap bike options than you can shake a stick at.

-JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I want a 29'er. I rode one yesterday from Landis and love the feel of the big tires. I should have bought that F29 for $600 but I let someone else buy it. If anyone else has a 29'er in the $400-$750 range let me know!

Ryan

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone know what year this is?

mtbr member
    Dude are you the Ryan Baily from wakeworld?

I have an Azonic Stealhead that is perfect for urban/dj/freeride. It's a single speed now but can be geared. 26" wheels. It's a hard tail with 100mm front susp.

Look like

Also have an Addict urban/dj hartail. Singlespeed, can be converted and comes with lots of shimano siant components. 140mm front susp.
    Looks like

Both are in your prince range. Let me know if interested and I can get you more details.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Matt,
    Yup, that's me. I have 575 hours on the 2 year old SAN and counting... Wakeboarding is actually one of the reason why I want the bike, I need to work on my cardio so I can ride longer since I'm not falling all the time behind the boat, I'm actually landing stuff now.

I really don't want to mess around building or changing around a bike. I have an old Cannondale frame that I could build but don't want to fool around with it.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Bailey
    Anyone know what year this is?

That looks like a Santa Cruz Superlight circa 2000-2003 give or take. Maybe I'm wrong. Superlight doesn't get as many looks any more with all the higher tech Blurs and bigger travel trail bikes, but I think it's still a very good ride. I have one just like it. However, you say you want a "freeride" bike like a Bullit and the Superlight is not that. Superlight is strictly XC and would be fine around town, but not made for big hits like the Bullit or similar models from others.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman
    That looks like a Santa Cruz Superlight circa 2000-2003 give or take. Maybe I'm wrong. Superlight doesn't get as many looks any more with all the higher tech Blurs and bigger travel trail bikes, but I think it's still a very good ride. I have one just like it. However, you say you want a "freeride" bike like a Bullit and the Superlight is not that. Superlight is strictly XC and would be fine around town, but not made for big hits like the Bullit or similar models from others.

Bob

See, I told you that I didn't know what I was looking for. When I use to ride I loved to big urban drop offs, ASU comes to mind... I'm 230 #'s too. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I found another F29 for $750. It's an '08. It has Sram XO components which I am not used to. My last bike had XT and XTR components and I had just figured out how to get everything set up and working properly after a big wreck. How is the Sram XO stuff? Supposedly the bike sold new for $2,400 four months ago. The guy says he lost his job and just needs money. Does Arizona have some type of stolen bike hotline to check the serial numbers? I would hate to buy someone's stolen bike, specially since mine was just stolen...

Here are the details, what do you all think? For $750 it looks like a deal, correct?

Cannondale 2008 F29
    Size: XL
    Fork: Lefty DLR-2
    RD: Sram XO
    Shifter Set:Sram XO Grip Shifter
    Crank:Xt Crank Set
    Brakes:Avid Juicy 7
    Wheels:Salsa Delgado
    Tires:Specialized "The Captain"
    Bars:Titec Carbon H-bar
    Post & Saddle:Thompson w/Fizik Allante

mtbr member
    SRAM XO is their top line or close to it. Avid Juicy 7's are great too. If you want to do drops to flat and that kind of thing I don't think you are lookin for a 29er. Cannondale Chase, Specialized p.1 ect, Kona Shred, Addict, Norco or look to an All Mt or freeride rig. There's a dude on ebay selling a lot of Norco stuff for good prices. They have a HT freeride bike that would be good.

Dang that's a lot of hours on that boat. I've sold mine and haven't got to ride much with my old crew due to my youngins being born and injuries for others.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member

[snip]

I guess I'm looking for an all around freeride bike.

I want a 29'er.

[snip]

Hmmm...

There are some mixed and incompatible desires here.

There are very few "freeride" 29ers, and those will not be at bargain-basement prices.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    SRAM XO is their top line or close to it. Avid Juicy 7's are great too. If you want to do drops to flat and that kind of thing I don't think you are lookin for a 29er. Cannondale Chase, Specialized p.1 ect, Kona Shred, Addict, Norco or look to an All Mt or freeride rig. There's a dude on ebay selling a lot of Norco stuff for good prices. They have a HT freeride bike that would be good.

Dang that's a lot of hours on that boat. I've sold mine and haven't got to ride much with my old crew due to my youngins being born and injuries for others.

I really like how the F29 rides, maybe just the 29'er part of it, I don't know. When I test rode one I could plow the front tire into all sorts of stuff and it just kept going instead of bucking me over the top. I'm not a very good rider, I just plow through a lot of stuff. The 29'er was really, really good at climbing stairs at ASU too. I jumped it off one of the stair landings at ASU (about 5') and the landing wasn't that bad, landing is one thing I'm good at on the bike.

You are welcome on the Golden Calf anytime, we wakeboard pretty much every Saturday. We leave my house usually at 5 or 6 AM and wakeboard till dark. We don't drink or party on the boat, just wakeboard - NO surfing either. We usually stop at Harold's in Cave Creek for dinner and get home anywhere from 8 PM to 1 AM depending on how long we ride and how long we spend at Harold's. When ASU plays at home we usually only go till 3 PM since one of the guys has season tickets and likes to go to the games.

If anyone else here wants to wakeboard hit me up!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ryan

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Hmmm...

There are some mixed and incompatible desires here.

There are very few "freeride" 29ers, and those will not be at bargain-basement prices.

Ya, I guess I don't want a 29'er??? I really like how the one I test rode, rode though. It seemed to excellerate really, really fast and the approach angle was really nice for my sloppy riding. Any suggestions would be great. I am looking at the suggestions that Matt suggested now.

Thanks,
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Well, if you truly like 5' drops, then you really should beware of $400 bikes.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Well, if you truly like 5' drops, then you really should beware of $400 bikes.

LOL, I know, I know, I'm just short on cash and want a bike to ride. I will upgrade as I go. I have only broken one frame and one fork though and Cannondale replaced them both. It just cracked the top tube. I don't ride off ledges on a regular basis, I do have my share of wrecks though, some good and some bad... You should see me wakeboard...

My Wake Boarding Instructional

im4Gsus
    I found another F29 for $750...
    sure sounds fishy to me.
    X.0 is the sram equivalent of shimano XTR, but better imo.

check the bike's website to see how much it was new. also ask him if he has proof of purchase. if that's too direct, ask him where he bought it and see if it checks out.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Do you all think a Santa Cruz Bullit will meet my needs? What about a Heckler? I have found older models of both at the upper end of my price range. What makes the Heckler better?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Black and Sticky
    Do you all think a Santa Cruz Bullit will meet my needs? What about a Heckler? I have found older models of both at the upper end of my price range. What makes the Heckler better?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    From what you have described as your desired riding conditions, a Bullit would suit you better because it's designed more for rough riding. Plus that kind of ride might make more sense for a big guy like you. On the other hand, Heckler is more of a jack of all trades sort of trail bike. A few weeks ago I rode up into the MSP and saw five guys riding in a group up toward Windgate pass, four of them on Hecklers. So it's a great ride too. Actually, both are good rides IMO, just targeting different things. If you are really interested in Santa Cruz, try posting on that forum. The folks over there are very good at this stuff. Good luck.

Bob
    PS-check out www.santacruzbicycles.com and look at the descriptions for their bikes. Even though they are new descriptions, they still apply to the older models and that will tell you generally the intended purpose of their models.
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall