Thread: NDEs?

mtbr member

NDEs?

Let me start out by stating the obvious: I'm not a great rider, by no stretch. Those of you who ride with me or have ridden with me know that I am pretty slow, and overly cautious especially going down loose stuff (after snapping a wrist two summers ago). But I'm not a bad rider, and I don't think I take unnecessary risks.

Just curious how many of you have had what you consider to be "near-death experiences" while out riding. I'm not talking about nearly having a bad crash but averting it, I mean an all-out "damn, that WOULD have been it" event, but somehow you came through it unscathed. I've had that happen twice.

The first time was in 1996, dropping over the lip of Poison Spider Mesa above Moab. I was maybe halfway to The Portal, several hundred feet above the road to Wall Street and the river. If you haven't ridden it, I hope you get the chance to do so. It's a HOLY BALLS sort of trail. A momentary lapse in concentration had my right bar-end catching the vertical cliff-face wall bounding the right side of the trail and I went over the handlebars to the left, onto and down the steep, exposed, and short scree slope above oblivion. I and my bike were saved by a small juniper, maybe waist-high, from sprawling over the edge, into space and certain death below. I immediately got back on my bike, pedaled on to the big right turn at the actual Portal where the trail widens out, got off my bike and collapsed. I had never been knowingly that close to death before or since. Until yesterday.

After parking a car at Rock Springs, we started out at the future Antelope Creek Road trailhead of the BCT, intent on a southbound ride on one of those perfect-weather Saturdays that make the summer heat worth it. I had not yet ridden the Antelope Creek section, my first attempt at it with DW having been foiled weeks ago by a snapped seat stay not even a mile into the ride. The Antelope Creek section is absolutely spectacular, if you've ridden it you know, if you haven't ridden it, you need to. The BCT is a true treasure, and between it and the AZ Trail, good god we have some spectacular through-rides in this state.

This was my second ride on the Hidden Treasure Mine segment. My first ride on the HTM was during an AES race three (?) years ago, soon after this section of trail had been completed. There are a few dry falls that the trail "vees" into and out of, a couple with the trail tread built with large rocks across the apex. There is one maybe a couple miles at most from the BCT intersection with the Crown King Road, a quick right turn into the vee and a left turn out. There isn't much exposure, maybe 10 or 15 feet of air between the trail and the polished granite bottom of the dry fall. But the geometry of the fall would make it impossible to arrest a fall or brace for "falling correctly" as we learn to do. A fall here would be a ride-ender, a game changer, a Flight for Life. A fall here would simply be disastrous.

Yesterday, I had scrubbed off too much momentum heading into the quick right turn. I wobbled, and I had to unclip and drop my left, outer foot...and almost went headfirst over the edge, right foot still in the pedal. It would not have ended well. I don't know what kept me from going over. I felt like even the molecules in my jersey were pulling me back from the fall, something more than my questionable balance, an unseen force pulling me back from the brink. I remember accepting what was about to happen, if it happened, as it was happening. Just like on Poison Spider Mesa. I would not have chosen to cash in my chips just yet, and not exactly like this (though I hope I am lucky enough to be doing something I love when the time comes), but there was a momentary sense of staring imminent death in the face, and in the nanoseconds that seem to spin slowly forward, there can only be one word to describe my state of being in that moment: acceptance.

Some would call it God. I call it physics. Nonetheless, the "what-ifs" can really be a mind-f***. It will absolutely not hinder me from my next ride, I can't even imagine not having a "next ride" to look forward to. While laying new flooring in my house today, in those silent spaces between thoughts and measuring tape and saw and tile snapper, my mind replays that moment from yesterday, and from 17 years ago, and I am profoundly thankful.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    I am mastering the art of falling off the bike. During the C4 I took my eyes off the Go John trail for 2 seconds to look at the riders ahead... and went off a little cliff on the side. I never unclip so fast in my life.. and landed on my feet, picked up the bike, run back up and resumed the race. I wish someone videoed... it'd be either hilarious or awesome or both.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    can you just imagine actually thinking "oh please let that big cholla cluster stop my tumble down this steep hill"
    just thinking-about-thinking that makes me shudder.
    that said, i choose to leave the riding of the HOLY BALLS trails to someone else

absolute focus on AZ trails here is just as important as when driving

mtbr member
    I was following somebody who went down a steep roll, I hesitated which put me off line by about a foot. The difference of a foot was the difference of it being a roll or a 5' drop. That was my first and hopefully only successful lawn-dart. I didn't walk away un-scathed but it could've been worse than a couple of shattered teeth and a fractured jaw.

Fast forward a few years, I was riding a trail that hugs a small cliff when I got a little too far outside and the soft dirt sucked me off the trail. My friend that was following me said I did a flip...all I know is I landed about 15 feet down on my feet in a big manzanita with my bike chasing me. Nothing worse than a couple of scrapes and an adrenaline rush from hell...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Crazy how that works sometimes. Like you somehow avoid going over an edge like your ride on BCT, or somehow manage to pull off a last second, miracle maneuver that basically saves your ass. I'd like to think I have pretty damn good reflexes, but certainly have had a couple "how the hell did I pull that off" moments. Man I still get the willies every time I'm on some steep/loose section with big time exposure. For those of you that have ridden SART in Socal you know what I mean. Cool thread, I hope we get some crazy stories on this one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk