No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

NCC Sedona ride, Highline

Drew, Rick, me and our friend Alfie headed up to Sedona today to ride Highline. Rick's ridden it a couple times, but the rest of us were clueless. We read up, downloaded some GPS files and had at it.

Parked across from Bike and Bean and started climbing. We climbed. We climbed. We climbed some more.

Retrospectively, I do not think we were on Highline for most of the climb. We were on the very top trail of the mountain, higher up than Highline, on very, very narrow off-camber singletrack with significant consequence for pedal-striking or getting offline.

Not sure exactly where we were. There were a few tracks, but not many. Made in the Shade perhaps?

Anyway, finally hooked up with Highline, had some fun on the slickrock, blasted down the notches, switchbacks, etc., ending up at (I think) Buddha Beach.

I thought the ride was almost over. Sadly there was significant climbing yet to come. We ended up on Templeton, ultimately riding under the roadway and picking up Bell Rock back to the truck.

Clearly this probably isn't the preferred route. Totaled about 12 miles or so and most of it seemed to be up. Nothing really technical of the sort we typically ride in Phoenix, but fun and scenic. The dirt portions were really, really loose and I had a tough time maintaining traction. Some nice drops here and there, very cool switchbacks on the down, but I was pretty sketched by the exposure on the initial climb.

Between the ride and driving up/back, I'm completely shelled and it's time to start the beer-drinking. My GoPro died early, but the other guys should have some footage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    tag for vidage!

mtbr member
    I've done that ride, and then some, a half dozen times. Tiring no doubt, but very scenic, if you dare look around, there's a few spots that you definitely don't want to fall off. There's lots of other trails up there to give you your jollies, but they're similar in "style", it can be tough riding but I love it.

mtbr member
    Nice running into you guys today!

I suspect that you may have taken the left off of upper Made in the Shade. It goes up pretty high and is indeed quite sketchy. More of a hiker trail but I see tracks on it. If you didn't start HE from the large slickrock area before doing the initial climb up the drainage then that's what you were on. If that's the case if you had kept going instead of making that left you would have descended a bit and then countoured around the nose of the butte before dropping some more switchbacks and making a left on Slim Shady to HE.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Drew, Rick, me and our friend Alfie headed up to Sedona today to ride Highline. Rick's ridden it a couple times, but the rest of us were clueless. We read up, downloaded some GPS files and had at it.

Parked across from Bike and Bean and started climbing. We climbed. We climbed. We climbed some more.

Retrospectively, I do not think we were on Highline for most of the climb. We were on the very top trail of the mountain, higher up than Highline, on very, very narrow off-camber singletrack with significant consequence for pedal-striking or getting offline.

Not sure exactly where we were. There were a few tracks, but not many. Made in the Shade perhaps?

Anyway, finally hooked up with Highline, had some fun on the slickrock, blasted down the notches, switchbacks, etc., ending up at (I think) Buddha Beach.

I thought the ride was almost over. Sadly there was significant climbing yet to come. We ended up on Templeton, ultimately riding under the roadway and picking up Bell Rock back to the truck.

Clearly this probably isn't the preferred route. Totaled about 12 miles or so and most of it seemed to be up. Nothing really technical of the sort we typically ride in Phoenix, but fun and scenic. The dirt portions were really, really loose and I had a tough time maintaining traction. Some nice drops here and there, very cool switchbacks on the down, but I was pretty sketched by the exposure on the initial climb.

Between the ride and driving up/back, I'm completely shelled and it's time to start the beer-drinking. My GoPro died early, but the other guys should have some footage.
    B:

You have given a ride report that many tourons before you have given about your Sedona experience. If you had some better intel and signage you would have probably have had a much better experience. Unfortunately for you and others that will follow you, having the best Sedona riding experience will not occur without following a knowledgeable local that can match your skill level to the ride you are looking for, or being able to follow a GPS track created by a local who has your user experience as a priority.

I don't know if you made a copy of my Sedona South Western map (https://sites.google.com/site/sedona...ingtrails/home) showing the trail system for your ride, but if you did your riding experience may have hopefully been a better one.

TD

"No Clue Crew"
    All the details. Great ride, other that 2 flats and the heat. Took some photos that I attached to the "Every Trail" Map............Drew

High line sedona, az at EveryTrail

mtbr member
    Blatant- your first take at Highline sounds like our first attempt. From what you described it sounds like we made the same turns from the beginning. That first section has some scary exposure. Our next tine up there we had a better idea of where to ride and it was a much better experience.

Highline is one of my favorite rides but there is ALOT of climbing. The ride even seems to end with climbing if you go straight instead of under the road.

Let's see the video!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    All the details. Great ride, other that 2 flats and the heat. Took some photos that I attached to the "Every Trail" Map............Drew

High line sedona, az at EveryTrail
    Grave:

Thanks for the Everytrail posting. Do future riders who might want to use your track a favor by adding a ride description, which advises lesser skilled riders to not take that left hand turn section at the top of Made in the Shade.

I did an overlay of your GPS track on my TOPO FUSION current map of Sedona Trails. As you can see from your BLUE line route you got off track at the top of MIS. You should have continued downhill on Made in the Shade where you would have gone left on Slim Shady to Highline.

Also later on in the ride after the worrld class climb on Templeton, I like to drop down the really cool slickrock wash off Templeton, which is what I call the new start of Easy Breezy to Easy Sleezy to the Courthuose Vista parking lot where you head WEST to hook up with Slim Shady where you hang a left and blast down to lower Made in the Shade and continue the ripper down to the Bike & Bean. You need to be careful on the downhill blind corners to not run into uphill riders.

TD

P.S. Going up Easy Breezy and Easy Sleezy feels like an easier uphill ride than taking Templeton like you did. I think the reason is that you are following the wash, which has more of a constant grade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NCC Sedona ride, Highline-highline-wrong-way-1.jpg  

NCC Sedona ride, Highline-highline-wrong-way-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I second TD's option of the wash ride in Eazy Sleezy and Breezy but it's not faster by any means. Templeton and Slim Shady are more direct back to VOC but are more of a grind. Templeton has a lot of short ups and Slim Shady is a steady climb. The wash option is much more gradual but the nature of the surface lends a slow pace despite the lesser grade.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Here's the best of my footage. All of it is from the climb as my GoPro died toward the top.

Hangover, Sedona, AZ from Dion Bozman on Vimeo.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I second TD's option of the wash ride in Eazy Sleezy and Breezy but it's not faster by any means. Templeton and Slim Shady are more direct back to VOC but are more of a grind. Templeton has a lot of short ups and Slim Shady is a steady climb. The wash option is much more gradual but the nature of the surface lends a slow pace despite the lesser grade.
    Even if you like riding the scenic slickrock sections of Templeton you can hook into Easy Sleezy at several access points. One is after you pass the H.T. trail and make the climb past the highpoint of the Templeton trail where you drop down. There is an intersection to your left that takes you under the Hwy 179 bridge on the west side of 179. That way is pretty nice for those riders that struggle up the steeper Easy Sleezy initial climb section.

While riding Templeton going southeast you can also hook in to Easy Sleezy after passing through the Hwy 179 east side tunnel. That tunnel is actually the Easy Sleezy Wash and where many lagging, first time riders in our group rides, get off tract. Rather than staying in the wash they continue on the Templeton trail where they end up on Bell Rock Pathway.

The section from the tunnel up to Courthose Vista parking lot is one of my favorites due to it's unique short challenging sections. From there you cross the east and west sections of Hwy. 179 and ride south on the west Hwy.179 section for about 100 yards where you turn west and ride up to Slim Shady. Just remember that Slim Shady parallels the west section of Hwy. 179 and no matter where you start Slim Shady is due west of Hwy. 179, so there are numerous different ways of getting to Slim Shady from Hwy. 179. Some of those connectors have never been ridden or hiked previously, but they are there.

The main goal is to get to Slim Shady for the cool downhill back to the Village of Oak Creek. There are very few downhill rides in Sedona, so you may as well get that one in if you are heading that direction.

How many points do I get for this wonderful informative post?

TD

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Sorry I couldn't make it to show you guys the 'easier' way . You turned left WAY too soon. Glad everyone survived and had fun!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Grave:

Thanks for the Everytrail posting. Do future riders who might want to use your track a favor by adding a ride description, which advises lesser skilled riders to not take that left hand turn section at the top of Made in the Shade.
    For Sure, Just haven't had time to type up a full review yet, but I will.

Quote Originally Posted by titusbro View Post
    Sorry I couldn't make it to show you guys the 'easier' way . You turned left WAY too soon. Glad everyone survived and had fun!
    Next time!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Here's the best of my footage. All of it is from the climb as my GoPro died toward the top.

Hangover, Sedona, AZ from Dion Bozman on Vimeo.

That looks really fun with lots of exposure and lots of climbing , I really love that pain and hurt from climbing and this looks like it could really get the job done.
    I have got to get up there , I tightened my straps on my camera to where it is hard to breath and that really smoothed the video out , This video looks really good and you are getting the angle figured out also

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by theGreenEGg View Post
    Blatant- your first take at Highline sounds like our first attempt. From what you described it sounds like we made the same turns from the beginning. That first section has some scary exposure. Our next tine up there we had a better idea of where to ride and it was a much better experience.

Highline is one of my favorite rides but there is ALOT of climbing. The ride even seems to end with climbing if you go straight instead of under the road.

Let's see the video!
    My 2 cents

Do you think this is a better way 2 ride it? Slim shady to Templeton to Budda beach to Baldwin to Highline back to Bike and bean.

"No Clue Crew"
    I know that next time I'll be taking a different route.........Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22GILBERT22 View Post
    My 2 cents

Do you think this is a better way 2 ride it? Slim shady to Templeton to Budda beach to Baldwin to Highline back to Bike and bean.
    Nothing wrong with doing it counter-clockwise, especially if you have folks in your group that are going to HAB the 500' techy section anyway. Might even be faster that way. You definitely will get more time on tasty slickrock as you climb up to the saddle as opposed to bombing down it. And then it's pretty much all downhill to B-n-Bean. In fact, an HE-Slim Shady-lower Made in the Shade descent is one of the longest and most continuous downhills in Sedona after Airport-Windsurfer-Sketch, Mund's Wagon, or Damifino-Damifido-Killer B-Brewpub.

"No Clue Crew"
    Nothing wrong with doing it counter-clockwise, especially if you have folks in your group that are going to HAB the 500' techy section anyway. Might even be faster that way. You definitely will get more time on tasty slickrock as you climb up to the saddle as opposed to bombing down it. And then it's pretty much all downhill to B-n-Bean. In fact, an HE-Slim Shady-lower Made in the Shade descent is one of the longest and most continuous downhills in Sedona after Airport-Windsurfer-Sketch, Mund's Wagon, or Damifino-Damifido-Killer B-Brewpub.
    Nice info rockman! Thanks...........Drew

banned
    Rockman:

Good Advice. You just need to add a few more trails to the Airport Downhill ride: Viewpoint/Airport/Table Top/Windsurfer/Bogus/Sketch/Ridge/Upper Ramshead/Ramshead/Double D/Under Under the Radar/Under Under Under the Radar.

Unfortunately, you need to be a pretty good navigator to follow my map, but it is definitely a fun ride. If you are really up for a challenge you just continue riding down Carroll Canyon Wash to the Trailer Park at Red Rock Crossing where you can head over to Buddha Beach for a swim.

TD

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Rockman:

Good Advice. You just need to add a few more trails to the Airport Downhill ride: Viewpoint/Airport/Table Top/Windsurfer/Bogus/Sketch/Ridge/Upper Ramshead/Ramshead/Double D/Under Under the Radar/Under Under Under the Radar.

Unfortunately, you need to be a pretty good navigator to follow my map, but it is definitely a fun ride. If you are really up for a challenge you just continue riding down Carroll Canyon Wash to the Trailer Park at Red Rock Crossing where you can head over to Buddha Beach for a swim.

TD
    TD, we need you as a guide next time

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A few Preskitt Peeps did that loop a couple of weeks back, we had the great fortune of having Zack at B&B lead us out. Chris H. cleaned the chutes, I wussed on few of the nastier dropoff switchbacks! When we dropped down to Red Rock Crossing, we crossed over the creek, rode up the road to Herkenham...more climbing up to the high school, I don't remember the name of the trail that drops down behind the HS (Traildoc?), kind of rocky, a little more climbing then a nice DH back down to RR Crossing. The switchbacks up Templeton seemed even more daunting with all the climbing we just accomplished! The only difference we did was climb back up made in the shade back to B&B instead of going under 179 to Bell Rock.
    Awesome ride, a bunch of climbing, some tech and some GREAT beer afterwards! It definitely helps to have someone who knows the trails along.
    Thanks for the post Blatant.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ View Post
    A few Preskitt Peeps did that loop a couple of weeks back, we had the great fortune of having Zack at B&B lead us out. Chris H. cleaned the chutes, I wussed on few of the nastier dropoff switchbacks! When we dropped down to Red Rock Crossing, we crossed over the creek, rode up the road to Herkenham...more climbing up to the high school, I don't remember the name of the trail that drops down behind the HS (Traildoc?), kind of rocky, a little more climbing then a nice DH back down to RR Crossing. The switchbacks up Templeton seemed even more daunting with all the climbing we just accomplished! The only difference we did was climb back up made in the shade back to B&B instead of going under 179 to Bell Rock.
    Awesome ride, a bunch of climbing, some tech and some GREAT beer afterwards! It definitely helps to have someone who knows the trails along.
    Thanks for the post Blatant.
    The Downhill direction it's called Special Ed, since the high school kids in the Special Education class built it as an extra credit project.

In the uphill direction it's called Tin Can Alley (there is a very old tin can wired to a tree limb next to the trail near the top). That way when someone mentions Tin Can Alley you know you are going to be riding Special Ed uphill, which can be a challenge. I have cleaned every section, but have never linked it up with less than two dabs.

We need more trail names in Sedona to keep people totally confused.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 06-24-2011 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks TD, thats it Special Ed....made me feel special!