Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    EDR

National stair step pics?

Anyone have a pic or better yet a video of cleaning the stair step(s) when heading down National towards Pima? The section I am referring to is where 95% of all riders I've seen just stop and walk up the left side. The stair step is a rock that juts out towards the trail (and you are already climbing a bit), it's maybe a 18'' lift to get your front tire up then you must get your rear up, and then pedal real hard to continue up. There is an alternative line to the left that are basically 5 or 6 stair steps, this section is very difficult to navigate but doesn't have the ' Oh, crap" factor, so many try it that way.

I've seen several people make this section look easy, including Azmtncycler and his crew. Most don't even bother trying though.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-10-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Pivotal figure
    I confess that I don't usually even bother with that section. It takes a bit of effort and you can get your right foot wedged under that dang rock on the right just when you think you've got it...Phooey
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I confess that I don't usually even bother with that section. It takes a bit of effort and you can get your right foot wedged under that dang rock on the right just when you think you've got it...Phooey
    I have gotten where I can do it on the right , but depending on how hard I was riding the rest of the ride wheather or not I will have the power left to do it at the ending of a hard , ---it takes a good hard charge and push for me in middle 2 or granny 4 and most of the time I just don't have any power left that late in my ride.

I have been working on doing the stairs on the left , I have come close to making it but not quite , ----it seems to take less energy for me to do it on the left , --its just I have not quite gotten it right all the way

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Bah, that's one of the toughest obstacles on that trail. I know a couple of guys can make the left line. You have to run up the first couple of steps then cut right. I don't have enough gas to pop up on the right line and can make the succession of steps on the left. I generally give it a couple tries, make it halfway, then gracefully walk the rest.

EDR
    You have to run up the first couple of steps then cut right.
    Ya, that's what makes that way so difficult, I've never made it that way. In fact for the last year I've only been attempting the right line.

Anyway today was one of those days where everything just felt perfect. On the way up I told my buddy I was going to ride the spine at the waterfall. I've rolled up to that countless times and chickened out every time. Now, I've done the far left line several times and I've done the far right line down the shoot countless times. Both line are much more technical than the spine........but the spine has that pucker factor that has just been in my head. Today I rolled up to it and rode right down without thinking about it. It was an absolute breeze compared to the other two lines. Once I made that I told my buddy to let me ahead b/c "I'm going to ride the up the stair step". I hit that step and pulled the rear up and just kept going........I made is easily and was stoked Then I went back to show him how easy it was and I failed miserably

Anyhow I turned 40 this year and had pretty much figured I have hit my apex, as far as technical riding goes. It just felt great to conquer two obstacles that I had pretty much given up on, in one day nonetheless! Today was definitely a 'passion' day for me!

Next up...........the trail gap near Hidden Valley. I've ridden up to that sevaral times but the penalty for failure is scary.

Anyhow when I cleaned the stair step my buddy said "Mother Fvcker"!...it was a good day

mtbr member
    Nice job EDR Never to late to step it up.

trail "cleaner"

good job EDR!!

It's always major stokage when you can clean something that's had your number for so long.. I think its time you come out for a Boo Crew ride this fall/winter.
    No dabs allowed!

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Technique for that step

That is a tricky spot - I can't tell you how many people I've seen case the edge of that rock and pinch flat (present company included).

I have finally figured it out and can now clear it most of the time (used to be ~ 5-10% of the time, now ~90% of the time).

The technique that works best is to loft the front wheel as far over and past the rock as possible (just pull a nice wheelie and stick with it) and just as your front tire comes down,
    lift the rear wheel as best you can using your clipless peddles.

Once on top of the rock, peddle in a controled fashion as to not lose traction.

I have never used flats, so can't talk to what techique to use there.

What I know doesn't work is to hit it with speed with the expectation that momentum will carry you over (that's usually when the pinch flats happen). It's all in the technique....

mtbr member
    was up there for the first time earlier this week....and yea, i walked it. that climb is not flat pedal friendly :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thats great EDR , its so great to hit something new and have it work for you , That thing is tricky , --( and if your not tubeless you will pince flat if you catch it wrong )
    every once in awhile I will go through it with ease, ----but not to often , its generally an energy burnner .

I do not know why that left line is just in my head , its really not that bad,-- I ride with acoupple guys that make it real easy .

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Ya, that's what makes that way so difficult, I've never made it that way. In fact for the last year I've only been attempting the right line.

Anyway today was one of those days where everything just felt perfect. On the way up I told my buddy I was going to ride the spine at the waterfall. I've rolled up to that countless times and chickened out every time. Now, I've done the far left line several times and I've done the far right line down the shoot countless times. Both line are much more technical than the spine........but the spine has that pucker factor that has just been in my head. Today I rolled up to it and rode right down without thinking about it. It was an absolute breeze compared to the other two lines. Once I made that I told my buddy to let me ahead b/c "I'm going to ride the up the stair step". I hit that step and pulled the rear up and just kept going........I made is easily and was stoked Then I went back to show him how easy it was and I failed miserably

Anyhow I turned 40 this year and had pretty much figured I have hit my apex, as far as technical riding goes. It just felt great to conquer two obstacles that I had pretty much given up on, in one day nonetheless! Today was definitely a 'passion' day for me!

Next up...........the trail gap near Hidden Valley. I've ridden up to that sevaral times but the penalty for failure is scary.

Anyhow when I cleaned the stair step my buddy said "Mother Fvcker"!...it was a good day

Never focus on the penalty. Only visualize yourself clearing the gap. Practice on a single and get comfortable with the speed and distance needed to clear the distance. Follow somebody the first time.

Pivotal figure
    Riding it with flats is pretty similar but you obviously can't pull the bike up quite the same way. Getting over the step isn't so hard, it's getting thru that narrow spot right above it. Takes a fair amount of effort and precise timing. I walked it quite easily again today
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

EDR
    Hey thanks for the stokage everyone.

I really didn't intend to start a thread about me but hey, sometimes it's ok to pat yourself on the back, haha. I was just so stoked I wanted to photoshop my head onto some pics of someone cleaning that climb so I could send a "friendly" email reminder to my buddy. See, we have been friends since 7th grade or so and we started biking together in '04. Since then we have had a pretty good competition thing going on so any chance I can get to rub it in a bit, I'll take He's had the one-up on me for a while now as he has been dropping down the spine, while I have been chicken-shiite. Friday totally turned the tables on him and I just know it bugs the crap out of him

Friday was just weird. Everything about being on the bike felt just right. It's a feeling I've had a few times before but not often. Basically it's being in "The Zone" I guess, I also dropped off, rather than rolling off, two sections I've never done that on before. I noticed that I didn't think about any of the obstacles, I just hit them. That's a hard place to get to, but I hope it comes again soon.

AZmtncycler: Let me know when you have a slow-poke along so I'll have someone to keep me company, lol.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Anyone have a pic or better yet a video of cleaning the stair step(s) when heading down National towards Pima? The section I am referring to is where 95% of all riders I've seen just stop and walk up the left side. The stair step is a rock that juts out towards the trail (and you are already climbing a bit), it's maybe a 18'' lift to get your front tire up then you must get your rear up, and then peddle real hard to continue up. There is an alternative line to the left that are basically 5 or 6 stair steps, this section is very difficult to navigate but doesn't have the ' Oh, crap" factor, so many try it that way.

I've seen several people make this section look easy, including Azmtncycler and his crew. Most don't even bother trying though.
    I can't remember any part of that trail that wasn't rideable. Post a pic of the section and I'll post one of me or my peeps riding it.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

EDR
    Post a pic of the section and I'll post one of me or my peeps riding it.
    I know I don't have a pic. I'll search around. I did a group ride a year or more ago with 8 or 10 people. Durtgurl was there, and Sam I think and a few others I've ridden with before. Anyhow, someone on a 29ers taco'd his rim when rather than dropping down that step, like most people do, he chose (and I did that day also) to take the right hand line (heading up natty) down the stair steps. Anyway Sam or Kathleen caught it on video. I'll have to look for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I can't remember any part of that trail that wasn't rideable. Post a pic of the section and I'll post one of me or my peeps riding it.

Sweet, got any pics or vid of you climbing the waterfall? I'd love to see that.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Sweet, got any pics or vid of you climbing the waterfall? I'd love to see that.
    Being that I am not a local, I don't know these terms. Post a pic of the spot. I think we cleaned everything on that trail, up and down - can't remember anything too difficult.

Specialized sucks dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Being that I am not a local, I don't know these terms. Post a pic of the spot. I think we cleaned everything on that trail, up and down - can't remember anything too difficult.
    Here's a few pics for starters. Not bragging - it was a great trail and it was very technical. Would love to ride it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specialized sucks dong

EDR
    I think we cleaned everything on that trail, up and down - can't remember anything too difficult.
    tmarkos is referring to climbing up the lower section of the Waterfall, which is pictured below. Typically it's talked about in two sections, the upper and the lower which is what you beginning to ride down. I think calling it difficult to climb is an understatement. I've personally only witnessed one guy climb UP the lower waterfall.

Did you guys climb that or walk up like the rest of us?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-10-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Crazed Country Rebel
    tmarkos is referring to climbing up the lower section of the Waterfall, which is pictured below. Typically it's talked about in two sections, the upper and the lower which is what you are riding down. I think calling it difficult to climb is an understatement. I've personally only witnessed one guy climb UP the lower waterfall.

Did you guys climb that or walk up like the rest of us?
    You're probably right. I don't remember cleaning it, and I probably would have had I done it.

I need to ride that trail again!

Specialized sucks dong

EDR
    You're probably right. I don't remember cleaning it, and I probably would have had I done it.
    Regardless, you guys must be good riders to clean most of National on your first and only visit. How far did you actually ride Natty? It goes on for miles and miles but many turn around at the parking on top (Buena Vista)
    Nice job!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I need to ride that trail again!
    There are many different lines and many obsticles that it takes months and months to find and have someone show you whats up.
    If you do not ride national at least twice a week for a year ---you do not know and have not really ridden national.

I have only seen 2 guys climb the waterfall, and I have only made it 1/2 way along with several others, ------Thats the beauty of somo is you can ride it for years and still find something way hard and new to do.

So only going there acoupple of times whithout somebody that rides it all the time is not even scratching the surface.

Somo has alot to offer every rider , and it will take years and years to ride all of it , Thats the greatest thing about Somo

mtbr member
    Oh, everything on National is just too easy. I'd like to post the pics of me riding over the top
    of the people at the moment where they were cleaning everything, but I was going too fast
    for the cameras and my peeps were yawning.

-- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

lurker extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    I have only seen 2 guys climb the waterfall, and I have only made it 1/2 way along with several others, ------Thats the beauty of somo is you can ride it for years and still find something way hard and new to do.
    This might be one of the guys you have seen do it, but here's a video of Ronnie climbing the waterfall. As if just getting up the waterfall isn't impressive enough, he has a cast on his arm!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat
    This might be one of the guys you have seen do it, but here's a video of Ronnie climbing the waterfall.

Impressive indeed but it seems the initial step looked way too easy. Either it was leveled out at that time or he is taking a little different line that I can't see. I was looking at it the other day and it just didn't look that easy, but video/pics have a way of doing that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast