mtbr member

National/Mormon Loop to BV difficulty

Going to ride up Mormon Loop for the first time this weekend and was wondering how difficult is it to get to Buena Vista from the National/Mormon split? My plan was to start at Pima lot, go up ML to BV and turn back and take National back down. Is it doable? Is there a better way to get back to Pima lot? I am an intermediate rider. Thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Perfectly doable with the proper skillset. Many riders on here ride that regularly.

mtbr member
    Get on bike. Start riding. If you don't make it up something (or down), stop go back and try again.
    That's it really. Just ride it. You'll be fine.

"No Clue Crew"
    Just have lots of water!!!! did that loop last Saturday and spent too much time talking and taking photos!!! Ran out of H2O halfway down the mountain. Great loop just be prepared and no shame in walking sections. We ALL do when starting out.............Drew

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by daniyarm
    Going to ride up Mormon Loop for the first time this weekend and was wondering how difficult is it to get to Buena Vista from the National/Mormon split? My plan was to start at Pima lot, go up ML to BV and turn back and take National back down. Is it doable? Is there a better way to get back to Pima lot? I am an intermediate rider. Thanks
    Q: Difficulty level?
    A: If you are intermediate like me it is quite a challange. It gets easier each time. If there is tough spot walk around it and try it next time. Hydrate a lot the day before and bring plenty of water.

Q: ML->Nat->BV and back down Nat to parking lot doable?
    A: Yes very doable. If you are intermediate rider (like me) you may be tired by the time you head off the mountain down National. If you find that after making it to the BV parking lot on top and tired, come back down Morman Loop. Next time you may be up to going down Nat (or go up it I have not yet).

Q: Is there a better way to get back down to the PIMA lot.
    A: see previous answer...if you are looking for "easier" then just go back down mormon.

I am doing this loop Thursday morning 5:30ish if you want to meet up.
    Last edited by _dragon; 09-01-2010 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member

It's a blast

I'm old and technically challenged, and happily walk the bike over a few of the obstacles like the waterfall and a few of the steps/drops that are just too big for my abilities. But I ride it often, at night as well, and it is an absolute kick in the butt..I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    Check my pulse...

I love bike!
    IMO if you've never even gone up Mormon to the Mormon/Natty split and you're an intermediate rider then you might be in for a beat down trying to get all the way to BV. If your cardio is your strong suit then might not be too bad. For your maiden voyage you might want to shoot to get to the Mormon/Natty split and assess as I think that's only maybe 1/3 or so the way to the BV lot. These are not easy miles up or down. If you feel you're up for more keep going. Once you turn around it's 95% DH anyways so you've at least done most of the climbing work. Do what you can and keep the rubber down.

Give it a crank
    My experience is it's less difficult than it is intimidating when you first see it. It offers lots of rewards when you make it through stuff that looks pretty ugly. Just walk the stuff that's both ugly and difficult! After a few climbs you can get a really good flow through most of it, but not all of it. Ride back down some other carefully chosen trail and make a good loop back on either side of big SoMo.

nodejitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Just have lots of water!!!! did that loop last Saturday and spent too much time talking and taking photos!!! Ran out of H2O halfway down the mountain. Great loop just be prepared and no shame in walking sections. We ALL do when starting out.............Drew

Good advice, just ride, always be prepared to dismount and walk over this part or that part. Best advice for the mountain. Ain't no shame in leaving without injury.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Nothing really sneaks up on you on National to Buena Vista. There is climbing no doubt, but you can see everything on the way up and decide if you want to take it on the way down. You might want to stop at the saddle right before Buena Vista rather than going that extra 1/8th of a mile if you are a beginner/intermediate technical rider. That one section has some bigger drops and step ups with more exposure than the rest of the trail that you want to take.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have just started this in the past few months and at first it was just too much HAB for my tastes (I like XC and covering ground at speed primarily), Its just has such a legacy about it that I have been trying it over and over again. I ride up to the waterfall now and back down mormon and its all doable with a few step ups that are just too big to get over on the way up for my bike (Epic Comp outfitted to race) without ruining my chainring. I might be willing to try the waterfall on a bike meant for it, I won't be on my Epic.....truth be told, at 43, I have had my day conquering stuff and have done WAY crazier on my MX bike back in the day but now.........returning uninjuried is more rewarding! I have ridden all the way to BV and the waterfall was the most intimidating section in my opinion. I have also ridden down national at the momon/nat interchange and its fun but I can do everything down mormom, not so down Nat. I am sure I will build up to it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My advice is clear javelina UP and down before riding Mormon natty... if u can do that u ride natty with no major issues.

mtbr member
    Just go.I do it on my DH bike.

I look forward to the HAB parts
    codafurnituredesign.com

EDR
    This thread is a year old.

So.....OP, how did it go?