Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

National end to end

866 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Stumpy29er 
#1 ·
I always read about rides that include the National trail as typically starting at Pima and heading up Mormon and down National or up Telegraph and down National etc etc. Typically always the east side and I rarely hear about people riding it end to end. Have many people done this ride? Is it a good ride? Is there a reason people shy away from it? My assumption is the logistics of getting dropped off at one end and picked up at the other is a pain. But if this is the major deterrent, how is it otherwise?

#2 ·
National end to end is a good ride. I think a lot of people are blown when they reach Buena Vista (not even halfway) and so decide to just pull the plug.
Or they don't want to organize a pickup.
I usually park @ Pima, ride to the end, then just take the canal/road back. Or go up 24th Street.

Can't wait to start doing this ride again when it cools off.

#3 ·
Just to the west of telegraph is a very nasty climb most have to walk/crawl up. After that climb it goes up and down a little before dropping off the mountain. The decent is steep, rocky and not that tech. Just lots of loose fist sized rocks and gravel over hard pack. Logistics are an issue. How ever, the likely reason most people don't is descending National toward Pima is so much fun.

#5 ·
mtboz said:
Just to the west of telegraph is a very nasty climb most have to walk/crawl up. After that climb it goes up and down a little before dropping off the mountain. The decent is steep, rocky and not that tech. Just lots of loose fist sized rocks and gravel over hard pack. Logistics are an issue. How ever, the likely reason most people don't is descending National toward Pima is so much fun.
Ive hiked National from BV east so although Im not familiar with it from a biking perspective I have a good idea what Im in store for. BV west to Telegraph I have no clue. I've also hiked west of Telegraph for a good 3-4 miles or so I am familiar with that brutal climb up to that lookout shelter. Any further west I have no clue.

Its just something about riding the entire length that draws me in.

#6 ·
you should do it once. it can take as long as you want. when i've raced it, I do it in just over 2. the HAB out of Telegraph sucks, but the rest is ridgeline ending in a steep loose decent. you can turn up the road when you cross San Juan or go the extra mile to the TH. you can ride up the road ~6 miles back to BV, or the canals etc like Kavu said. Climbing back up to Telegraph via trail is horrible HAB. up on the trail from Tele to BV is tuff but doable.

#7 ·
There is an unofficial race called the squealer that goes coast to coast on National. Some of the fast people break 2 hours. Starting from the East is probably the most fun. I don't think climbing up the mountain from the West side would be that fun due to the lose rocks that were mention before. Everything from Telegraph down to the bottom meet up of Mormon/National is fun. There is a fair amount of exposure between Telegraph and Buena Vista.

#8 ·
h2ojunkie said:
I don't think climbing up the mountain from the West side would be that fun due to the lose rocks that were mention before.
Is it worse than the bottom part of the Sunrise trail heading east starting from the Lost Dog Wash TH? If its anything close to that I think Ill stay away.

Seems like the prefered direction is east to west. Not what I was hoping for.

#9 ·
Is there a reason people shy away from it?
I have not bothered to ride all the way to the west end on Natty. I've been past Telegraph several times, (starting from Pima lot), and back down the way I came. The reason I have never wanted to ride all the way west is b/c for my money the ride on Natty from the west to BV just kinda sucks, no other way to put it. It's tiring with no flow as you seem to be constantly fighting/climbing one steep rock garden after another. I love technical ups but it just gets to a point where it's too much with little reward. On the other hand going from BV west to Tele and past is pretty darn fun.

The last few times I've ventured to Telegraph on Natty I just took the road back to BV to avoid bothering with Natty to that point.

You should do it once though :) Some people do a C2C2C (east to west and back to Pima). That sounds like no fun to me...and I bet they take the road back up to BV, not truly a C2C2C;)

#11 ·
chollaball said:
you should do it once. it can take as long as you want. when i've raced it, I do it in just over 2. the HAB out of Telegraph sucks, but the rest is ridgeline ending in a steep loose decent. you can turn up the road when you cross San Juan or go the extra mile to the TH. you can ride up the road ~6 miles back to BV, or the canals etc like Kavu said. Climbing back up to Telegraph via trail is horrible HAB. up on the trail from Tele to BV is tuff but doable.
Ive made the full loop around Pass Mt CW. More or less difficult? Not even comparable?

#13 ·
C2C2C - hardcore! :thumbsup:

C2c2C - *small c is for road back up to BV - a great ride! :thumbsup:

Most coast-to-coast rides start popping up when the weather cools down a bit.

For reference see:

In particular from around 1:30 - 4:00 mark.

Can't wait to do this ride again!

#14 ·
I've done several Natty C2C E to W, then take the conector to the south at the end to drop out onto Gila, bring that back to the Jehovah hall, up the road to telegraph Pass, then DC back. I've also gone up the west end of Natty 3 times, there won't be a 4th. I don't think that I'm capable of a Natty C2C2C, and there is no way I could do a C2C in 2 hours. Personally, I think that the worst part is below the towers, where it's all loose with much exposure, and the climb west from Telegraph. Like everyone says, do it once, anyway. But, the west end trail features are nothing like the east end, and it is a bit desolate out there, so be aware. For myself, the worst part of the descent out at the west end, is all the darn cholla balls on the trail, gotta choose between crappy lines or pin cushion tires- I usually end up with some of both!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.